“Fantastic Breakfasts” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 102 Hotels in Riga
Arnside, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Breakfasts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We had a cheap deal from TravelZoo and Baltic holidays, and what a great deal it was. We loved the hotel, the room was large with two windows and a view of The Dome. It is situated right in the heart of the Ole Town with cobbled streets and restaurants and places to visit only a walk away. The staff were very nice and helpful and the hotel was lovely and warm, essential at this time of the year - we visited in February.

I would have liked tea and coffee-making facilities in the room and the room was not ready for us when we arrived at midday or when we came back at 2p. We had another coffee and returned and it was ready, but overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Average hotel in a central location.

Very clean hotel and room.

Beds are very uncomfortable with one flimsy pillow each. Staff were not happy when I requester another pillow but eventually let me have one. Another two couples later asked the same and they were turned away by receptionist who said the hotel does not provide extra pillows.

Lots of restaurants within easy walking distance. We liked Charlie's which had yummy fresh food.

If you want a central cheap hotel for a short break this will be fine but beware of the bar opposite on Friday and Saturday nights if you are a light sleeper as you can hear the music in your room til the early hours.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We spent 12th-15th February 2014 in Riga and stayed at the Gutenburgs hotel. The location you cannot fault as it is literally 30 seconds walk into the main square. and good walking distance to all the main attractions. The Opera house is about 10-15 minutes walk and everything is easy to find. The number 11 tram to the zoo it nearby, the markets etc. The reception is very good. They speak excellent English and are very helpful. The rooms are immaculate however a little dated. There are huge wheels in the rooms which are part of the old architecture which I liked at first as its different but after a while they start getting in the way when you are in the room. The main things that let the hotel down being a 4* is that the beds are not like proper beds they are more like camp bed and are very uncomfortable and ended up with a bad back. They don't provide a proper duvet for the bed they only provide 2 singles which can be small and then a rug over the top which we thought was naff and not 4*. There were only 1 pillow each and no spare. When we asked at reception they said they would see what they could do. Not really what you would expect extra pillows is normal. While there other couples were asking and they were being told there were none left. We didn't eat in the restaurant but we looked at the prices and it is very expensive so would recommend eating out. We can recommend Charlie's in the square as the food is good and very cheap. Don't not go to Steiku Haoss it cost GBP 67 or 80EUR for 2 steak and chips, 2 cokes and an orange. There is a nightclub opposite the hotel and from midnight got very noisy until 3-4am. The breakfast was ok, scrambled eggs, different German sausage, bacon, pastries, cereal, juices, hams, cheeses. Again would have expected a little more choice for a 4*. In all not a bad hotel very clean with great location. I guess it depends how much you pay for it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

The room was good although we did get shunted to twin room as they had run out of doubles (the beds were easy to push together). The location is the real winner and couldn't really be better in the heart of Old Riga. Breakfast had a lot of options and was good quality - the only drawback there was the tiny cups for hot drinks. Staff were a bit mixed but adequate. Main problems were the paper thin walls - everything could be heard from adjacent rooms which is not good, and no tea&coffee facilities in the room. Taking everything into account it feels more like a 3* than a 4* but still a good option.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My wife abd I recently visited Riga on a four day break, we had a wonderful time although braving temps of -19 degrees! We stayed in the Gutenbergs Hotel which was ideally situated in the old town where you will find some lovely restaurants, bars and shops, also art galleries and museums, our room in the hotel was everything we had hoped for typically Latvian theme with old wooden beam, the heating in the room was ok but it struggled a bit (as stated previously it was -19 outside,] all of the hotel staff were curtious and friendly, we had breakfast in the hotel every morning, no problem here a very good hotel that we will use again.

Room Tip: our room was 108 up a short flight of stairs from reception, it was quiet and cosy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Trondheim, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Special Rooms much history in those walls.lies in the heart of old town,pretty easy to find(in a narrow street behind the dome church)
Quiet and clean,was good to retire in to the room when we were done exporing for the day..isnt often ive felt that :-)
The only drawback was the breakfast,it was plain hotel..nothing more,nothing less.

• Stayed January 2014
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Location-wise, I do not think you can get much better. You are right in the middle of old town.The hotel is in a small street with cobblestones just off the old town market place. The hotel is stylish, breathing calmness and quietness. I enjjoyed that.
I arrived after midnight and had probably the fastest check-in ever. My name and signature on a paper and I could go to bed.
When you take the elevator to the floor, you actually end up on a middle floor. You always have to take some stairs to get to your room. My room on the fourth floor was actually pretty large.
As mentioned by others, the floors are not straight. Drawers open without touching them and the not-closed safe opens every time you open the cupboard. In the beginning it's funny, but after some time, it gets on your nerves.
The sheets on the bed are actually to 1-person sheets. I never managed to crawl under it completely.
There is not a lot of shelf space to put our stuff in the bathroom. I think the hotel could do something about that, especially because there is actually a lot of space. Be careful when you take a shower. It happpened to me twice that I turned off the water and the shower head fell out of the holder on my head. I tested it afterwards again and if the water runs too hard, the shower head falls as soon as you turn off the water. Guaranteed.
The breakfast was for the size of the hotel very varied and of high quality. It has maybe a slight Eastern European style, but it didn't bother me. I quite liked it. And the coffee is better than in most places.
Everybody in the hotel speaks perfect English and Russian. The number of English TV channels is limited, though.
And do not trust the wake up call too much if you want to leave early. I got my wake-up call when my taxi already arrived.
When I will return to Riga, I will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the 4th floor. When I stayed there, there was some kind of party going on across...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to Gutenbergs Hotel? Share your experiences!