“A trip to Riga before Christmas” 5 of 5 stars

Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #25 of 102 Hotels in Riga
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oslo, Norway
“A trip to Riga before Christmas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were 2 couples who booked a trip to Riga before Christmas, and the choice of hotel was perfect. Radisson Blue Hotel Latvija is close to almost everything in Riga, a little walk straight down the road - and you are Riga's old town. The reception and the restaurants in the hotel was very nice, lots of alternatives to choose from. We were very satisfied with the price we had booked for this hotel, and we were recommended to upgrade to a room with a view. And what a view! We could almost see the whole city. But the weather was gray and snowy, reducing the view quite a lot.
Every morning before everyone else was awake, I went down to the pool in the 2nd floor, enjoying the silence and solitude down there. I also ordered a SPA treatment, and then I got access to the outdoor pool in the 6th floor. Hot water and massaging bubbles everywhere in the small pool, and the winter night was dark - and the snow drifted silently down on my head where I swam around.
Yes, we would like to return to this hotel another time

Room Tip: The room with the view was worth the extra value
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RadissonRiga, Executive Assistant Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear guest,

I really appreciate your positive comment about your stay at Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija and I am very happy to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, it was real pleasure to serve you!
Looking forward to see you next time!

Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed in a business class suite which was very nice and had a beautiful view of the city. The hotel has everything you need and if you don't want to you don't need to leave the premises. There is an ESPA spa, night club, casino, sports bar and a skyline bar - all very reasonably priced.

The hotel is in a perfect position in regards to the city (also not far from the airport). There are lots of parks to walk through, lots of churches and the old town with the cobbled streets is delightful.

There is a real mix of Latvian, Russian, soviet architecture, orthodox and catholic....

I came in jan and it was freezing, colder than freezing -17 but so beautiful. Everything is draped in snow and everything looks very pretty. However I will be coming back in the summer and look forward to seeing Riga in a warmer season and visiting Jurmala on the coast.

All in all a lovely get away and a perfect hotel to do it in!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RadissonRiga, Executive Assistant Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Nicola,
Thank you very much for your kind feedback about your trip to Riga and so excellent review about your stay at our hotel. I can just agree that there is a lot of entertainment options in our hotel for every kind of taste, which, in so cold winter we had in January, is a real advantage. But indeed, I will be more than happy to welcome you here again in summer!
Best wishes,

Frank Weidlich,
Wien
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a lovely time, the city is beautiful and charming and despite the cold weather we enjoyed the trip very much. The hotel was fantastic, we had dinner at the restaurantand and luch at the bar, both served delicious food and had very good service, I recomend the Caesar Salad. Receptionist were efficient and always treated me well. The best part was without any doubt the room, we had an amazing view over the old town, it was very clean, the mastress was excellent ans the heated bathroom floor was much appreciated!! I would advice a little treatment at the ESPA spa, it is quitte impressive.
I will definetly go back if I ever have the chance to visit Riga again.

Dear Ardillatraveller,

I am very happy to read such a positive review about our hotel. I am really glad you enjoyed your trip to Riga and liked our hotel. With pleasure I will share your compliments with our reception and restaurant staff, it definitely will inspire them to continue providing the best guest service to our guests. Thanks again for sharing your feedback with other travelers on the Tripadvisor and we all here are looking forward welcoming you again soon – in spring or summer, when Riga is even more beautiful and there is a plenty to do!
With kind regards,

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We have booked the stay with Gold Points and were upgraded to a business class room on the 21st floor, with the view of the Old Town. The view was magnificent, we could plan our sightseeing using the picture guide, which explained what we were seeing out of the window.
The walk to the Old Riga is about 15 minutes, and is quite pleasant.
As we visited during Christmas, there are small Christmas markets here and there, the closest one to the hotel had a Rabbit City built there, which was lots of fun for our 3,5 year old daughter.

The breakfast was good, but quite crowded.

Guests staying in business class rooms have a free access to the top floor /Skyline bar and the SPA. We did not use none of them, though.

The hotel staff were always nice and helped us with arrangements for our next trip, as well as gave good tips and directions to the places of interest.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the view of the Old Town, you will not regret it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RadissonRiga, Executive Assistant Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is a real pleasure to read such a nice feedback about your stay with us, thanks indeed for posting your positive reviews on Tripadvisor. We are really happy to read that you enjoyed all the aspects of your stay in Riga.

It was truly a pleasure to serve you at Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija and we are looking forward to your next visit in Riga and wish all the best!

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had a business class room located on the 22nd floor with a view on the old town. The view was great and the old city was just with in a short distance walk of about 10-15 minutes.

The room was clean, modern, comfortable with enough amenities and Nespresso machine. There were no charm in design though. Wifi in room was free and fast.

The Breakfast was ok but very crowdy especially when the hotel is full which as the case around new years eve period.

the spa was cool (when it's not crowdy) and the access is free if you stay in business class room as well as the top floor skyline bar.

the service is good enough and staff very helpful.

the hotel is the most suitable for business and tour group travelers but not for couple travelers looking for discretion and romance (but that was expected since the begining so we were not disappointed)

Room Tip: don't hesitate to pay extra for upgrading into a business or suite room !
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MartinsPriedite, On behalf of Executive Assistant Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear guest!

We are truly happy to read such a positive feedback about our hotel. It was pleasure to serve you here and I am really glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

We agree with you on many aspects of your comments, however the room design is of course question of taste, our newly renovated hotel rooms have been designed in modern Scandinavian style, I regret to hear it didn’t suit yours but maybe you would like to try one the new “Urban” Radisson Blu styled rooms on the floors 3 to 21 on your next visit.

As you noticed correctly, our hotel is always more than busy at the New Year that can cause slower service for example during rush hour at breakfast and in our SPA. Of course we are trying to do our best to keep our standards of quality and in ESPA Rīga we always limit the amount of guests at the same time.

And last but not least if you are looking for a more intimate and quieter hotel, but still want to enjoy Radisson hotel standards in service and quality, I suggest the smaller Radisson Blu Elizabetes and Radisson Blu Daugava Hotels or the indeed very cozy Radisson Blu Ridzene Hotel, which are all located around the city centre close to all tourist attractions.

Looking forward welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had heard that this was a former Soviet Intourist hotel and that Latvian hotel staff in general were not very friendly. While I concur, there are some very good points.

First the bad: I got to the hotel at 10:00 a.m. and the front desk curtly told me that I could not check in early because my "rate" did not allow it. If, however, I paid more, I could check in early. In traveling in 62 countries, I have never heard of such a thing. While this is clearly hotel policy, they could have said it in a much nicer way - I guess Latvian attitudes I had heard about are really true.

The second bad news is that the room was small and looked like a college dormitory - very basic furniture.

The good news was (1) there is only a beautiful park between thehotel and Old Town Riga. Probably a 1,000 foot leisurely walk - very nice; (2) breakfast was great. European croissants are better than in the US. Add butter and raspberry jam and it was the best I've had in Europe. Plus, the breakfast buffet was quite extensive and delicious.

The doorman was especially nice and let us store our bags after check out. Unfortunately, the internet in the lobby would not work - although I did get a connection 10 feet outside the front door - curious.

Overall, I would stay there again because of the location and breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MartinsPriedite, On behalf of Executive Assistant Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all let me thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments regarding your stay with other travellers on Tripadvisor.

Further I would like to explain the situation regarding early arrival you have commented. The check-in time in the hotel is at 3 pm and unfortunately sometimes it is really impossible to provide a room for early arrived guests, because hotel guests are occupying their rooms till 12 pm. Exactly that happened in the morning when you arrived. All standard category rooms were occupied at 10 am and the front office staff offered you a clean room of higher category for extra charge. I sincerely apologize for the attitude of Front Office staff and the way they communicated with you to explain the situation. We always do our best for the hotel guests and allocate guests before check-in time if we have free rooms.

I am sorry to hear that the room didn’t meet your expectations. We agree that the size 20m2 of standard room is quite small, but upon availability we offer guests to upgrade to business class rooms, which are bigger - 40 m2. Also we want to inform you that we continue to renovate our hotel and are planning to have all rooms renovated according to Radisson hotels standards during next months.
We also want to improve the quality of Internet connection this year.

Finally I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our services in general and thank you for positive comments about our breakfast, hotel location and some members of our staff.

We hope that you will visit us again and will try out the variety of outlets and services we can offer.

Looking forward to seeing you next time!
All the best from Riga,
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Room was located in 22nd floor, clean, well-equipped and comfortable.
Service in the hotel was very helpful and friendly.
Conference room & surrounding suited our needs perfectly (from an exhibitor's view).
Food in the hotel (breakfast & lunch) was fine - comprehensive variety & taste.
The Devine Bar connected to the hotel offered wonderful tapas for dinner.
Location of the hotel is close to the ancient town (10 minutes walk) with a wonderful view from the 26th floor Skyline bar.
So from my point of view there was absolutely nothing to complain about. This in conjunction with the fact that I felt very well there makes me rate RBH Latvija 5*

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MartinsPriedite, On behalf of Executive Assistant Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind feedback and positive reviews about the hotel. It was truly a pleasure to serve you and I am glad that the accommodations and service met your expectations as complete guest satisfaction is our goal.

We are looking forward to your next visit and wish you all the best!
Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija? Share your experiences!