“If you want a change from Vincents...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
UK
“If you want a change from Vincents...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Were planning on dinner at Vincents, our normal "posh dinner" choice in Riga, but read in the local paper that Biblioteka No1 had come second in a recent survey so gave it a try! No surprise to find that the chef Maris Jansons worked with a certain Mr Ritins for many years at Vincents! Service was slightly haughty at first, but she thawed with time :-) Starters of gazpacho were tasty, I opted for "tuna pearl" which was beautiful - tuna sashimi style, large portion! Main was duck for me, which was soft, although skin could have been a tad crispier, but cherries were perfect. Winner for our party of four was the lobster meat with scallops and tiger prawns, although there wasn't a huge amount of the top billed lobster meat. Deserts were quite interesting, flavoursome sorbets, and works of visual art on the plate. Wide selection of wines (all Italian) with corresponding wide selection of prices - knowledgeable, polite sommeliers. Pleasant location sitting outside in the summer for dinner (but do book, place was full on a Weds night). Loos unisex and cramped :-( Overall a good experience, but doesn't get close to Vincents for me in terms of service, taste or value for money.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Helsinki
“Nice, especially the terrace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

During warm summer night,Bibliotek's summer terrace is the place to be. Good food, professional sommelier and daily special menus.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Classy. Excellent food and service. If you have a special occasion this is the restorant to celebrate and remember. The interior is very elegant and modern. Courtesy drink from Maris at the end was just lovely!

Helsinki
“My favorite restaurant in Riga”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I've been to this restaurant twice and plan on visiting it as often as I'm in town ;) It is at the moment my favorite restaurant in Riga, and some of the dishes I've tried are probably the best in their kind I have ever had. This is the type of restaurant I would happily take my business partners to, as I trust fully that the staff knows how to take care of guests and the chefs clearly know how to create dishes that both look and taste fantastic. Or I'd just as happily visit the place with my spouse as the restaurant deco is quite romantic!

The CLC goat cheese appetizer is extremely good, and for mains the veal fillet is definitely worth trying! It is an incredibly well balanced dish. As for dessert, I would recommend the conversion of CLC cheesecake. When I first had it and they brought it to my table, I wasn't sure what to expect as the dish looked unlike any other dessert I've ever seen, and it didn't really give anything away about how it would taste. But it was perfect - like fireworks in my mouth! The secret is (in my opinion) that they have added a lot of different textures so it's simultaneously crunchy, soft, sticky etc. But again, it's very balanced so everything goes very well together.

As for drinks - they have an extensive wine list and I would just recommend trusting the sommelier.

When it comes to pricing... It is definitely a bit more expensive than some other restaurants in Riga, but in my honest opinion, it's worth paying a bit more.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tallinn, Estonia
“Magical place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Excellent food & service. Decorations and furnishing were really interesting and beautiful. Unhappily prices were really high.

• Visited September 2012