“Do you have a reservation?!” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #132 of 614 Restaurants in Riga
Cuisines: Japanese, European
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Excellent food in neighborhood house.
Durham, NC
“Do you have a reservation?!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

This is about our Jan 3 experience which Trip Advisor would not accept because I had send in a review in late December. I had reviewed Fazenda very highly so when we returned for our fourth or fifth visit we expected the same. We were disappointed. Maybe the New Year - no butter, and no this or that. Why do the people at the next table have butter? They were here earlier. OK.
How about paying attention to our table? I had to ask another server to help us. There were five of us - no, we were not a bachelors party. We were a family of five celebrating my daughter's engagement in Latvia that very day.
At the start, we were interrogated with, after sitting down at an open, empty table, "Do you have reservations? No, we do not. Why ask, since she did not say we could not be served?
So, the young woman took our orders, etc. Then disappeared amidst crashing plates and slamming doors in the nearby kitchen.
Food was good, although not as good as in our previous visits.
I'll go again, but while we stayed in Riga until the 11th we did not return.
An off night? Very likely but what a let down after several wonderful times there.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

England
“You Must Go For The Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

There are many reviews on Tripadvisor regaling this restaurant, not just for it’s food but for the overall experience which must be described as unique and certainly worth a visit if only to partake of the atmosphere for yourself. It really is just like sitting in your grandma’s kitchen, there are no frills to this rustic restaurant but it is spotless, well decorated and atmospheric.

The service was good and the staff were pleasant and attentive.

My wife started with a fresh salmon salad which was enormous, whilst I had the most excellent French onion soup, both were accompanied by baked on site varieties of fresh bread.

For main course my wife chose duck with blackcurrant comfit and vegetables. I chose chicken breast served with quince marmalade and vegetables. I must say the food was presented beautifully with great attention to detail. Whilst both dishes were cooked to perfection they were a little bland for both of our tastes.

The deserts were gorgeous, my wife had the traditional panna cotta, I had a Latvian desert of chocolate ice cream surrounded by a hot coat of nutty cake which tasted like Christmas pudding and was amazing.

Including drinks the bill for two was about £30, worth it for the experience alone.

Visited January 2012
Riga
“great place with great ambience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

i love this place, while it has something special within it! food is great, ambience is great and good emotions you can find there. you also can buy some freshly backed pastry or order cakes!

Riga, Riga, Latvia
“It is the best place to have dinner in Riga”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I like this place very much, I am eating there all the time and I need to say that it the best place to take a dinner if You are in Latvia. The food is great, specially all soups and deserts. There is very cosy and service is quite good. I like that always I can try something new, when I am visiting my favourite restaurant. If You are in Riga, You should eat once at least in Fazenda.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Durham, NC
“perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

My wife and I are staying in Riga for two months. Took out our 3 young Riga cousins for dinner at the Fazenda. I'd eaten there a week before and liked it from the "shabby chic" decor to the quality of the food.
Five of us had a variety of food, drinks and desserts. All were excellent. And, lovely classical guitar music on this one night. Service was timely, never late or prompting.
Highly recommended. We leave on Jan 12, but we will be at the Fazenda a few more times!

• Visited December 2011