“Great traditional Latvian, without the tourists” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 569 Restaurants in Riga
Cuisines: European, Latvian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: "1221" Is located in the Old Town of Riga, in the historical significance near of Dome churches. From both the summer terrace you can see the beautiful view roofs of the city & the excellent dome of the cathedral. "1221" Is a high class restaurant with exclusive European cuisine & chic collection of wines. You can find very interesting dishes in menu such as Veal tails stewed in red wine or Ragout of beaver meat marinated in champagne. In any case you'll be delighted by this restaurant. Our restaurant is a local place that fundametally different from tourist places of Riga. Please, book a table in advance.
Melbourne
“Great traditional Latvian, without the tourists”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Fresh, quality ingredients were obvious, the service was friendly and helpful, menu extensive and atmosphere and surrounds were perfect. Lunch for two with a couple of drinks each came to 49 euros. And we were full! Highly recommended.

• Turkish first
Tallinn
“just over rated and I was disappointed for that.............”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We went there after have read a lot about it. Well the place is really cosy and the entirior are just perfect but we got disappointed when we got our meal.
First I was surprised to get a bottle of wine costing 42 euro and with screw cork with the explanation,from the Sommelier,I suppose,who told me that for young wines from New World this is normal...I can also agree but for this level of restaurant it looks like serving cheap wine overpriced.
Than talking about the foos I got my hot apetizer with Fagottini with zola....and it was just industrial italian pasta,huge amount by the way,with no taste and neither presentation and,this it was unbelievable for me,I got the same Fagottini as deocration for my main course,beaver stewed......so what I have to say more if this is considered the place where all famous people go for eating??? may be they get special menu????? I will never be back and sorry but the level of the food it is just ordinary,much better in place less rated...

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Very good traditional Latvian cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We came to this restaurant because it was right down the street on which our hotel was located, appeared absolutely charming from the outside, and was highly rated on TripAdvisor. I'm not sorry we tried it, although it was a just a bit under our expectations for it. We sat outside (a must because of the incredibly hot weather in late July this year) and enjoyed the view. Our waitperson was friendly, helpful, and fluent in English. Both my wife and I ordered appetizers and main courses. That was our first mistake. The appetizers at this restaurant are relatively large and heavy. Consequently, we were almost full before the main courses arrived. On the other hand, the appetizers (salmon/sturgeon borscht and tomato/goat cheese salad) were both excellent. The main courses were also excellent, although, again, both were a bit on the heavy side. My wife had salmon, which was perfectly cooked and delicious. The only problem was that it was served with a heavy cranberry sauce, on a large bed of mashed potatoes garnished with pistachios, and a very heavy mushroom cream sauce. It was all a bit too much for the salmon itself, and didn't really seem to go with it. But ... I assume it is a Latvian traditional preparation. I had roasted pheasant –– a gamble, since pheasant is an extremely tricky bird to cook. It inevitably comes out dry. My bird was very good, except for the breast meat, which was inedibly dry. It was however served on an absolutely delicious fruit salad/sauce, hard to describe but scrumptious. We were both satisfied, but felt a bit bloated. I give this place a "very good," because it is, despite its minor flaws.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Queensland, Australia
“Best soup ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Lovely staff, lovely ambience and the best soup ever tasted. - so good we had to return so that my friend could try it. Pistachio, celeriac cream soup, with venison strips and truffle oil. Delicious! My friend also judged her steak as superb , my duck was just short of perfect.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cairo, Egypt
“Très chic!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

A lovely chic restaurant in the old town of Riga...
Looks old and classy from inside.
I tried the "Sturgeon and salmon borsch" and it was the best I ever had in my life.
The "Baltic plaice fillet with Thailand beans fried in butter and almonds" was less than what I expected.
The "Chocolate Fondant with vanilla ice-cream and glazed cherries" was a great dessert...
Enjoy...