“Not a genuine Soviet experience” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 21 things to do in Liepaja
Liepaja, Latvia
3 attraction reviews
“Not a genuine Soviet experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I love the Karosta in general, and recommend that all my guests visit this part of Liepāja. This prison, as a tourist information centre is invaluable for the region, and offers people some idea of what Soviet rule may have been like. However, I feel it's important for tourists in Liepāja to go further afield, and see the rest of the region which, in my opinion is more impressive, especially the Tuvie Forti (Nearby Forts), the Orthodox Cathedral and the unique Tsarist/ Soviet military/ architectural heritage.

Visited August 2012

Riga, Latvia
10 attraction reviews
“It is what you make of it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I found it very interesting, mostly because I engaged the tour-guide by asking questions and showing that I was interested. If you do a little research before you go, you will find that the place is supposedly one of the most haunted places in the world and was featured on Ghost Hunters International. It’s a shame the tour-guides don’t really mention this, as I think it adds an extra layer of intrigue in being locked up in one of the dark cells.

Visited September 2012
Helsinki, Finland
“Interesting place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

The prison was interesting place to visit. We used the local bus to get there. It was a bit difficult to find the place. We participated the guided tour, but didn't understand very much of the English of the guide :(.However, there was a dvd of Karosta prison playing in the cafeteria and it was a good thing.

Visited July 2012
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“interesting but dark”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I was here a while ago as a part of my school trip, and we all truly enjoyed it, especially the boys.
Karosta’s prison is a place where dark past times come to life. In here you become one of the prisoners; you live experience what ever they would have in those days.
As it was part of school trip, most of the time we were giggling and not really thinking it all through, but now when time has passed, I am sure our reaction would be different.
At the end of this tour you receive a photo of yours in prison wear, holding your number, and a card stating your crime, which is a great souvenir.
I think one of the reasons why this experience is so believable is, partly because of the part of the city where it is located, it feel like time has stopped in the moment when Russian army left, half built and half demolished buildings, not many people live here, so the surroundings make his prison experience even more believable.
I can recommend it to young people or ones who are interested in history, but maybe this is not an attraction for families with small children.

Visited September 2010
London, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
“Interesting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

In this prison type museum prison comes very alive, the smell of solviet times is thill there. Interesting place to visit definitely! I did like the personal dressing and atmoshere. Place also offers extreeme stay overnight, which we didn't use.
We were there part latvian and english speakers so we decided to go for an english tour, witch is more expensive comparing with latvian. So there we got dissappointed because the guide was having very poor english, she didn't talk much either.

The most amazing story about the love story and the ghost she even didn't mention.
Even Ghost Hunters was there!

Visited June 2011