“The ultimate in relaxation” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Spa   |   Jomas ilea 47/49, Jurmala LV-2015, Latvia   |
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Jurmala
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Canada
“The ultimate in relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

As a group of 8 we spent 4 days at the hotel and were pampered! The staff did all they could to make our stay enjoyable and enjoy we did. We appreciated the pool and sauna area being available all day and having no limit on the number of visits. We were there during the week and the pool and saunas were very quiet, not too many people. The breakfast was good, typical European breakfast, but good choice for anyone. The hotel was quiet in the evenings and we were able to enjoy a good nights rest, bed very comfortable. The best time to go is during the week,as Friday night saw a packed house and busy pool area. We had the superior room with balcony, excellent choice, lots of space and room to have people over. We were all already planning our next visit.

Room Tip: Superior room with balcony best choice
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Riga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have spent 3 days in this hotel during Easter vacations. As you can expect, hotel was fully booked for the holidays weekend and we could only get a Standard room. Our fault, obviously, as we should have made a reservation a bit more in advance. We have also made a pre-reservation from SPA menu and got all procedures set perfectly.

I would like to praise ladies at the reception, as they made all possible to make us feel good about selecting this place. On the last day we wanted to stay a bit longer in Jurmala, so I came to ask about late check-out and that was granted immediately with smile and without any extra charge.

Our Standard room was nice and clean with beautiful view. Absolutely no complains, but the pillows. On the second day I started to feel that I should have taken one from home.. Luckly there was a big SPA area available so I could have a massage :) Staff @SPA was pleasant and place itself is nice and relaxing. Wellness area with pools & saunas is quite popular and many people are coming from Riga to visit this place, so at weekends it tends to get a bit crowded during day time. This is a great place for kids and you would spend some extra time trying to get them out from the pools.

Overall this hotel is a great place to stay, very easy to reach by car / public transport and its staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Uppsala, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Firstly, I do not agree with other reviewers about nonchalant staff - all I dealt with (except for the girls working in the beauty parlor) were absolutely lovely! Bear in mind that Latvia does not have the same service tradition as in most western countries, so if you go in with an attitude that you are in some entitled to good service just because you are a paying guest I think they might have a bit of an attitude, but if you approach them with a genuine smile and a general kind attitude they are more than happy to help you with everything you need. The head administrator in the reception (cannot remember her name) was especially helpful!

I had a standard room and thought is was absolutely lovely! Nice style with dark contemporary wooden furniture, wood floor, one wall with windows from floor to ceiling. But my absolute favourite feature was the bathroom - lovely rough slate both on the floor and on the shower wall. Some reviewers have complained that it became very humid in the room after showering, I only noticed this slightly but I lived alone and maybe this is more of a problem when you are more people using the shower.

It seems to differ whether bathrobe is included in room price, for me it was - maybe because I booked spa treatments by email before arriving (which is recommended - see their webpage for treatments). But you are most welcome to bring your own robe and slippers - the staff has absolutely nothing against this.

The wellness area with pools and saunas in kept cleen, but for a 4-star spa the could to an even better job. But with that said I absolutely loved the large steam sauna - if there are not a lot of people take lay down on your back and take a nap :) There are two larger pools (none of them large enough for swimming though), and in one of them there is a shallow corner with "beds" that works like a jacuzzi (but even better!!!) and there is also 2 normal jacuzzis.

The breakfast is ok, not bad but nothing special either. If you leave early in the morning you can get a takeaway breakfast.

A tip - combine Jurmala with a few days in Riga. Take the local train to/from Riga - only costs about 1 lats. There is now regular bus service between Jurmala and the airport. I chose the hotels transfer service instead of regular taxi, it costed 17 lats (I think normal taxi is a bit cheaper), the good thing is that it is a fixed price and you pay it on your hotel bill instead of paying by card in a taxi (which feels unsafe) - and it felt like a little bit of luxury having a chauffour in a dark suit and going in a very nice car with dark toned windows ;)

I will be back!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Riga, Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Me and my boyfriend traveled to Jurmala Spa hotel during winter... All i can say that it was the most enjoyable holidays ... The design was perfect, Staff was always nice to us... Very big Spa complex with 2 pools and lots of saunas.. The food was perfect!! Try it and you will like it too :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I bought to my parents a present on their Gold wedding date (50 years) anniversary. They stayed in Jurmala SPA for a weekend with SPA Center visit and massage. From their words they spent a very peasant time and excellent attitude from the personnel. The room was clean, nice relaxing atmosphere in wellness oasis (several pools, saunas) and great massage from the professionals. My parents were happy and so am I.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ikskile, Latvia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed from Monday to Tuesday with my husband and 1.3 years old son. Nice location ( 3 min to the beach, cross country skying or simply long walk way along the sea), clean room ( we had superior on 8th floor ), relaxing atmosphere in wellness oasis ( several pools, saunas ) what we enjoyed in the morning. Wellness oasis is entrance is included in the price on the arrival day until 18:00 which makes the stay even better, but for that we were too late this time.

Disappointment was no information during the booking process that restaurant will be closed. They serve limited menu in the bar on 11th floor ( nice view ), but it is not the same when their restaurant serves dinner. We would have avoid walking in blind on the "dead" Jomas street late evening looking for decent place to eat the dinner if I had checked places beforehand knowing which direction to go. Anyway turned out nice family walk before to go to bed:) And we managed even to use their welcome drink in the bar ( choice of 2 alcoholic drinks and one milk shake).

Just check your invoice given by the receptionist weather it corresponds to amount on credit card slip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tallinn, Harjumaa, Estonia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I visited Jurmala Spa Hotel in January 2013 for one week. The general appearance of this hotel (both interior and exterior) was good and it certainly looked better than the other hotels in this region. However, the services provided by Jurmala Spa Hotel were not of good quality in my opinion. I would probably have zero complaints if this were a 2-3 star hotel, but since it has 4 stars then I definitely expected a lot more from them.

More specifically, my complaints are the following:

1) English skills of the staff were not sufficient for carrying out their duties. On several occasions the staff members did not understand my question, but did not want to show that they did not understand me and thus gave me a misleading/ wrong answer in reply to my question. To be exact, I only met one employee during my stay, who spoke good English and this was at check-out.

2) The hotel messed up my reservation - my reservation was booked in their computers as two separate stays (first days as one stay and the last day as a second stay). I noticed the mistake immediately after the check-in because the check-out date on the paper card they gave me was wrong (it said that my check-out would be one day before the end of my actual reservation). I told this to the same employee, who performed my check-in. He wrote a new date on the card (by hand) and said that this was no problem, because the computer shows the correct date. He confirmed that everything else was fine. But actually everything was not fine - at the day of the incorrect check-out my keycard stopped working. I noticed this while trying to drive out of the parking lot. They gave me new keycards, when I went to complain about the keycard, but still did not fix everything in their system. During that night the TV suddenly went on to display the welcome message as if I had just arrived, waking me up in the middle of the night.

3) The information on their website is incorrect regarding many conditions. Some of the incorrect information that I personally discovered was:
(a) the website says that if a customer stays at their hotel over 3 nights, then the customer can use the pool and sauna area during all open hours of this area (for free). During our stay this clause did not apply for some reason, so I'm guessing that this clause is entirely incorrect.
(b) the website says that the hotel offers buffet dinner from 18:00-20:00. This buffet dinner did not exist during our stay. We were offered no explanations as to why this did not exist, they only said that it was not available.
(c) the website says that free WiFi is only available in the public areas on the 1st and 11th floor. This was not true, they had WiFi access in all rooms. This was not a negative thing per se, but I am still listing it here, because this was yet another important piece of information that was incorrect on their website.

4) The room was very dusty. Since I'm allergic to dust, it was not a pleasant fact to discover.

5) The french windows in the rooms did not open for more than approximately 10 cm. Since the air in the hotel was dry and stuffy, this was yet another very unpleasant fact to discover especially due to my allergies.

6) Regarding the SPA treatments - I would not recommend the paraffin treatment and the Pranamat Eco mat massage treatment to anyone. These are not pleasant nor relaxing in any way.

7) The food selection at breakfast was not very good. Also, the bread seemed to be stale during every breakfast that I had there.

8) The TV in the room was very old and thus also did not show a good quality picture.

9) If there is a party in the 11th floor restaurant, then the extremely loud noise can be heard many floors below as well. During my stay, there was one party during a Thursday evening and that noise was very annoying, although my room was located on the 8th floor.

On the bright side, the location of this hotel is excellent. It is situated very close to the beautiful Jurmala beach.

Room Tip: I would advise choosing a room as far away from the 11th floor as possible if you wish to have quiet...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Jurmala Spa? Share your experiences!