“Symbol of Tartu” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 108 things to do in Tartu
Tartu, Estonia
“Symbol of Tartu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

If you visit Tartu, university main building is a must-see. It is possible to go inside the building but if you want to see the lock-up, art museum or assembly hall, you should plan your trip for weekday (they are open from Monday to Friday 11:00-18:00).

Visited October 2011

• Finnish first
Aberlour
25 attraction reviews
“Picturepostcard territory without the tourist traps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I had gone to Tartu on the recommendation of an Estonian student that I'd met at home,who told me how lovely it was.
It is really beautiful and still rather representative of true Estonian culture ie absence of Irish themed pubs,strip clubs and the like.
I enjoyed seeing such a variety of large green well manicured parks and green spaces nearby.
Unfortunately I did not venture in for a full tour of the university as I was not aware that these tours were being offered!

If I return to Estonia again I will certainly base myself in Taru rather than Tallinn which is now somewhat spoiled

Visited August 2011
A TripAdvisor Member
“Beware the Student Lockup!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2004

Of course, Tartu University is pretty much just a nice old university. But ask the staff to take you on tour to the Student Lock-up in the attic. After some exhausting stair-climbing you'll reach the small rooms where "naughty" students could be "jailed" for days or weeks at a time. The scary part is finding out what "crimes" you could be locked up for: if I'd been a student there many years ago I would've been thrown in the clink a number of times for having overdue library books. Bored students spent their lock-up hours drawing and writing across the walls - some definitely showed talent. Make sure you're well-behaved so you don't have to stay up there yourself!