“That'll do, Olav, that'll do.” 4 of 5 stars

St Olav Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lai 5, Tallinn 10133, Estonia   |
Ranked #59 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
Vantaa, Finland
“That'll do, Olav, that'll do.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

A decent accomodation.

Rooms are clean. So clean that you can eat off them. You got your standard cupboards, desk, TV. Windows might look down to Old Town or to a blank wall, which was my case.
There's really nothing that I can complain about. Heating was awesome. Rooms were clean. Beds were comfortable. Hotel looked and feel nice with it's Victorian age decor. Sadly, I didn't get to taste the breakfast, but I've read that it's delicious. Definitely would stay here again.
Besides - it's Old Town. It's made for tourists. Every street hosts a plethora of shops, bars, pubs, restaurants and so forth.

But keep in mind - NO ELEVATOR. So getting around to 3-rd and 4th floor will be a hassle.
No room service, either due to the lack of said elevator or due to the fact that it's too difficult for the staff to move around.

I booked an economy room with twin bed setting. Economy room means that you are going to sleep on the 4th floor, just under the roof. Which can be really neat when it rains and pours outside or if you really don't want to leave your hotel room at all, but it has it's downsides since the rooms are on the 4th floor and there's no elevator.
Also, building is over 500 years old and it has maintained it's old-timey feel with staircases that will make you sweat.

Anyway. I booked the room. Got on the 4th floor. Got into my room. Very cozy. Loved it. Perfect.
But.. It was on 4th floor and I was going out with my partner. Also, they managed to give us a double bed, instead of 2 single beds.
Called reception. They promised to fix the situation immediately and also I asked to be moved onto the first floor.
They did it. Got myself a free upgrade to standard room.

Standard rooms are bigger, but.. since they are bigger it doesn't really mean that they are better. Really high ceilings. Like 4 meters. No decorations really. So the room will echo a bit and feel hollow. Good for a night or two.

Booked through booking.com

Room Tip: Rooms 107-109 are right next to the big lounge area where the restaurant is. It was actually the bes...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Finnish first
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

It is a really charming hotel! At first, when the receptionist told me that I would have to carry my baggage up to the 3rd floor by the stairs, I was not so sure. But then, as I walked through the narrow sinuous passages that took me to my room, I fell in love with the stairs and the whole building. It is an amusing blend of an old house from 1437, with a neoclassical front and 21st century comforts. Each floor is unique and many guests get lost when they come and go to their first breakfast. I recommend get lost there, and don’t forget your camera when you leave your room. I know that if I come back to Tallinn and stay elsewhere, I will regret it. I had already been in Tallinn before, and now I regret not knowing about this place before.
I booked a twin standard room, for me and my friend. The beds, the heater, the size of the room, everything was ok. The floor of the bathroom is heated, so it is always warm. In cold Estonian winter it is an advantage to remember.
The location is good. It is in the beautiful old town, where we can spend a week or even more, if we have time.
The only problem was the lack of tourist information at the reception desk.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Excellent Location! It is in the historic Old Town and all the historic places you would want to see is a few minutes' walk away . Staying in the Old Town is ideal base to explore Tallinn as the hop on hop off bus passes by the Old Town.

Buffest breakfast was sumptous! One has so many choices. I was excited to have breakfast everyday. I've tasted the best sardines there.

There was no coffee/tea making facility in the room. To get hot water, one has to go down to the reception and bring his mug. The staff has refused to bring hot water to the room which I cannot understand.

Room Tip: There are no elevators in this 500 yr old hotel. Ask for a room in the lower floors.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Barcelona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

On 17th October we booked –and paid - thru Air Baltic a 4 night stay at St Olav**** in Lai St, 5, Tallin from 5th to 9th December. When we arrived at the hotel straight from the airport, around 20.30 we were told that the heating system in the room intended for us had broken and they have arranged lodgings for us at other hotel in town, a Gotthard Residents. We believed this explanation in good faith, although the location of the other hotel was not what we wanted and they did not even offer to accompany us or bring us and our suitcases there given the late time, the cold and the snow. They said they would invite us to a bottle of champagne to make up for the inconvenience caused.
We would have lived thru it with no fuss were it not for the fact that we had to shower every morning in cold water, we had to make line and wait for 15 or more minutes every morning to get breakfast (so small is their breakfast facility), we arrived one day to our room to have a rest at almost 5 afternoon and the room was still unmade and when we went to St. Olav to fill a claim, we were told that no complaint book was available at all and we could send them an email if we wanted to pursue further the issue. We did and have not received any explanation or apology.
We did choose to complaint at St. Olav and not to Gotthard’s because our deal was with St. Olav. Fact is, we had booked and prepaid for a so called 4 star hotel right behind the Town Hall and we were sent to guest house at the other end of town with not even a name on the door that made our move there easier. By the way, we are still waiting for that bottle of champagne that should compensate us for the inconveniences caused.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Built in an old house, this hotel is a complex of narrow ails and stairs. Do not bring any heavy luggage, there is no lift. Our room at fourth floor was spacious and clean. There is no aircon, so the top floor rooms might get hot during summer, but now in December the temperature was ok.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Helsinki
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at St. Olavs on my business trip. Hotel is located just around the corner of the old town. So the location is brilliant. Staff was nice and helpfull. Hotel itself has a historic milieu. My room was small and had an window to the garden. Sleep quality was not so good, because you can hear the creaks from the corridor. There was a wifi connection in your room and also there was minibar. Shower was ok. Toilet was in somekind of hollow place, so if you are a tall person, you should watch out that you dont hit your head to the roof. Breakfast was basic western stylish.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Tampere, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had booked one night from St Olav via Trivago/Otel.com in advance but when we arrived, the receptionist told us that there was "an error in the booking system" and we had to walk "200 m" (220 yards) to another hotel, owned by the same company. As Monica, we checked immediately the price difference between the two but we found that they were about the same so we did not complain. The explanation about the computer error was not credible but I think they had rather overbooked the hotel. Now we never know how St Olav would have been.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple