“Best price for the highest quality” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Euroopa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paadi 5, Tallinn 10151, Estonia   |
Ranked #23 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
Sluis, The Netherlands
“Best price for the highest quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

About two and a half years ago I watched a travel report about Tallinn. Since that moment the city dominated my city trip list. A few months ago I finally found a vacant spot in my work schedule and that of a good friend. We planned our trip from 27 till 30 October 2011.

We decided to book our trip via a touroperator, because they offer deals (free nights and such). It also meant that our choice of hotels was limited, we only had 4 hotels to choose from. After calculating the prices, checking reviews on Tripadvisor and comparing we decided that Hotel Clarion Euroopa offered the best price for the highest quality.

LOCATION
We had done our research well, so we knew in advance that Clarion is located just outside the Old Town, overlooking the ferry port and a small marina (which at the time of our visit was almost empty, but it should present a lovely view during the summer). To go to the Old Town we walked through the Rotermann quarter to Viru Gate, that stroll took about 10 minutes. To reach the Town Hall square itself, the city center, it was about 15 minutes walking from the hotel. Although it usually took us a bit longer, because of all the souvenir shops in Viru!

ROOM
Our room (FYI: 532) was very spacious. We had twin beds put together, a nightstand each, a large writing desk, well stocked minibar, a couch soft chair and low table at the window, safe, telephone, ironing board, 2 large (from floor to ceiling) closets for clothes and other stuff, a large mirror, luggage storage and a flatscreen tv. There was a very good hotel information folder, with the breakfast times, but also some background information on the hotel, a list of tv channels and some other practical information. There were no coffee and tea making facilities in the room.

I didn’t sleep well, the bed wasn’t my thing. One of the pillows was too hard, the other was soft enough but too thick. The blankets came undone each night, I had to “bike” in my bed otherwise my feet would be uncovered. It was annoying especially because my friend had 3 good nights!

The bathroom was small, with a toilet and sink on the left side and a shower (which took up half of the bathroom) on the right. There was a huge crack in the sink, some people might be annoyed by this, but hygiene is much more important to me and the bathroom was simply impeccable. I especially liked the tiles, it never took more than an hour for them to dry on their own after I took a shower. A takes all day for my shower at home to dry on its own! There are several towels, 2 glasses, some shampoo, a hair dryer, large mirror and make-up mirror.

Our room overlooked the marina and some sort of shopping center (in front of us), the ferry port (on the right) and the north part of the Old Town with the St. Olav’s Church (on the left).

And last but not least there is Sammi, the hotel mascotte. It’s a cute fluffy sheep, he welcomes you in your room. You’ll find that many souvenir shops in Tallinn sell products related to sheep and sheep’s wool, so it’s probably a very Estonian thing…… you can buy Sammi (which I did), he costs € 10.

BREAKFAST
I had read many things about breakfast (limited and crowded when there’s a group staying), so I knew not to get my hopes up for this most important meal of the day. Now, after having stayed in Clarion, I think it depends on what type of breakfast person you are! People who like or prefer English breakfast will have no problem at all. However, if you, like me, can only stomach continental then it’s indeed quite limited. The first morning the only thing I could find was a dark baguette. It improved on the next mornings during the weekend, but we didn’t change our breakfast time (we went down at 9h15 every day).

Not to worry though, as many reviews have already mentioned, there is a shopping center behind the hotel (just across the street) with a large supermarket. They have everything and many many many different sorts of bread and sandwiches.

STAFF
Check-in and check-out went very smoothly. Upon check-in we mentioned that our luggage had missed the connecting flight from Copenhagen to Tallinn and that the airport would send our luggage in the evening. We asked if the luggage could be delivered to our room and the hotel staff made sure that happened. At first I thought the staff were kind, but in a reserved manner. According to my guidebook that’s part of the culture. The last two days they (especially the male staff) were more open and we actually had a good laugh with them.

SERVICES
Even though you can easily walk to the Old Town the hotel has a shuttle service. There is a bus departing the hotel to the Old Town at 11h00, 13h00 and 18h00. The same bus returns from the Old Town at 11h10, 13h10 and 18h10. You have to register at the hotel reception. We didn’t use this service. We did use the hotel transfer service to the airport on our last day. Prices are mentioned throughout the hotel, we paid 7 euros for a 10 minute ride.
The luggage room is free to use.
You can buy postcards and small souvenirs at the hotel reception, but be aware of the prices. The same products cost – 50% in a souvenir shop!
There is a computer with internet in the lobby, it's free to use.

THE VERDICT – on the plus side
+ spacious hotel > lobby, rooms, breakfast room
+ clean bathroom, terrific shower
+ friendly staff
+ free wifi (first time for me, I just loved being able to read my morning paper on my phone)
+ location > quietly located, nice view, shopping center ATM and mailbox behind the hotel, one of the sightseeing buses stops a bit further down the road
+ enough power-points in the room (I counted 5) to charge and use all our electrical equipment

THE VERDICT – on the down side
- breakfast > too little continental options
- the décor of the rooms > to me it looks like a room from ….. (fill in the gap yourself) that could use an update, but the reception told me (I didn’t complain about the décor, it just came up in the conversation) that the décor is very Estonian.

Do I recommend Clarion?
Yes, if you don't mind being somewhat outside the Old Town.

Would I return?

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the marina and ferry port
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Finnish first
Narva, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

This is a clean modern hotel with spacious rooms and nice views of the harbour from some rooms. It is close to the centre, about 10 minutes walk to the Old Town, and right next to the big shopping mall. The only bad thing about this hotel was the fact that water in the bathroom did not drain completely, so that the floor was flooded.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Trondheim, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Stayed there for 4 nights. A modern hotel with nice interior. Flat-screen in the rooms. Wonderful beds!!! The rooms are very clean and the service was perfect!! The rooms has a free safe(box). Free wi-fi. It's only 10 min walk to the old town. Next door it is a little shopping mall and a grocery store.The breakfast was varied and fresh. Only thing was the staff at the breakfast, some of the girls was just hanging around and talking to each other instead of clearing the tables. Every day it was the same two girls... I saw guests had to clean after other guests before they could sit down. And specially during the weekend it's quite packed, but it shouldn't be a problem it the staff do their job...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Alor Setar, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

This hotel is located very close to the Terminal D ferry Terminal inTallinn. Into this terminal come the Tallink Silja ferries from Helsinki etc., so it is ideal for visitors from Finland wishing to see the remarkable city of Tallinn.
Rooms are clean and good, services are very good and the breakfast is excellent, with a wide variety of hot and cold food. The restaurant is OK, although the service is a bit slack at times.
Location is close to a stop for the CityTour bus route, giving easy access to city tours and transport to Old Town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the harbour side.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
MALTA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

This hotel is excellent in many ways. The reception area is very spacious, the receptionists and barman were very helpful. The location of the the hotel is about 10 minutes wall from the Old Town. But the hotel is in a very quite area, close to the port and minutes away from where the ferry from Helsinki enters. The room of the hotel was spacious, clean and modern. Free and fast internet was available from the room and the other parts of the hotel. The breakfast was very good and plentiful. Recommendable for all

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Limerick, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

While not the best value or most idyllically located this hotel straddles comfortable with convenient location close to ferry terminals while still being within reasonable walking distance to heart of the old town. The lack of pedestrian prioritisation in road layout and in traffic signal settings makes it less convenient that would appear from map but still 10-15 from medieval joys of Tallinn. The staff should get extra mention as they were extremely pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011 via mobile

Good sized, modern, clean rooms & very attentive staff. The only negative was the mediocre breakfast, but eadible non the less. We stayed for 3 nights & if we ever return would use this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Hotel Euroopa? Share your experiences!