“Stylish comfort in heart of city” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Telegraaf
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vene 9, Tallinn 10123, Estonia   |
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
Kent
“Stylish comfort in heart of city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

We stayed here for just one night on a short break to Tallinn. The hotel is great - a stylish and sensitive conversion of an historic building only a few steps away from the central square in the Old Town. Our room was fabulous - including one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in - spacious, great bathroom, and stunning design. We did not try out the restaurant or other hotel facilities, so can't comment on them. We did have a couple of great meals in neighbouring restaurants - Dominic, opposite the hotel was cosy with delicious food; Ribe, had a more modern cool style, and we enjoyed a lovely lunch there. I'd recommend Hotel Telegraaf as a perfect place to stay for a stylish and relaxing trip to Tallinn - fabulous hotel in a great location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki. Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

We were welcomed to the hotel by a young receptionist woman who dealt our reservation quickly and professionally with a smile. She also gave us a pre-printed welcome letter from the manager.

The superior room with high ceilings and wooden floors was compact, stylish and inviting. There was a very small TV with an Internet connection. They provide a selection of Elemis products in the bathroom. We were looking for a hotel information book about the services and opening hours of various facilities; spa treatments, restaurant and all but couldn't find it. On our way out to the city for lunch we asked for it from our receptionist and she promised to deliver it to the room. When we came back it wasn't there.

We decided to go to the spa before dinner time and it was totally empty for a while. The sauna- and steam bath rooms were very small. The steam bath was dangerous due to the fact that the hot steam was delivered to the room from under the platform people were supposed to sit - I almost got my legs burned. What is that? Additionally the platform was covered with slime - left the room instantly and didn't go back. The pool area and jacuzzi were nice and cosy. We also booked Elemis spa treatments for the next morning.

When we went out to restaurant Chedi for dinner we asked again the receptionist for the hotel info book and it seemed that the young man didn't understand anything what we asked for nor the English language by itself. We were just feeling puzzled by this and decided to forget about the info book - it shouldn't be this hard.

The breakfast was beautifully presented and tasty in the Tchaikovsky restaurant. Then it was time to get the Elemis Spa treatments. The therapist ladies were friendly and they spoke some lines in English but couldn't discuss beyond that or even understand that I have some problems with my neck and would have enjoyed to have another towel under my head to feel more comfortable but no, so it was what it was. The Elemis products did wonders though! The treatment room by itself was messy looking and far from 5 star treatment rooms out there.

Over all we had a pleasant time with Telegraaf. The staff is mostly amazing but their language skills need improvement. It feels so odd when they can deliver certain lines with perfection and then when asked something outside their comfort zone they freeze.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
HotelierTallinn, Manager at Hotel Telegraaf, responded to this review, June 8, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your honest comments about your recent stay at the Hotel Telegraaf.

We take our guest’s feedback very firmly as this is our single utmost tool to improve our quality continuously in order to provide a high level of customer orientated service also in the future. We really appreciate your taking the time to publicly announce your experience with us.

In regards to your stay I would like to inform you as follows:

Unfortunately the guest, who stayed in your room before took the copy of our hotel information booklet with him. We had already ordered a couple of new copies at this time, but unfortunately they were not delivered on time as they get produced overseas.
Of course, our receptionist should have informed you accordingly. We are indeed sorry for
this shortcoming.

For the unpleasant experience with our steam sauna I would like to apologize as well, but there is of course a honest explanation: We recently ordered new seating covers, but one of our employees discarded the old ones too early – before the delivery of the new covers arrived.

Concerning our employees’ communication skills in English I am indeed surprised as we are permanently conducting language classes for our staff. This has been noted by many of guests in our guest book, but also here on tripadvisor.com .

My team and I are nevertheless looking forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel Telegraaf in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Michael JJ Stenner
- General Manager-
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

We have been staying at the Telegraaf hotel several times within the last years - not just beacuse of its perfect location right in the centre of the histroic town. But also because of the personal service, the great room product and boutique style.

For our last stay we booked one of the suites in the historical building which consists of a large living room and a separated bed room. But especially the bathroom is much larger than the ones in regular rooms. The decor had all the nice touches referring to the former use of the building. Housekeeping worked professional incl turndown service.

The wellness area with a small pool, steam bath and saune is the perfect place after a day of sightseeing. And the small spa provides every kind of treatment in co-operation with Elemis. Rates are - as usual in Estonia - quite low.

Breakfast is served in the main restaurant with a small buffet and a selection of hot dishes on a menu. It doesn't give a huge selection but all important items are available.

Compared to the Swissotel located in the business district (outside the historical centre) the Telegraaf provides you with more personal services.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

After deciding on going to Tallinn to have a girls only/ SPA/ shopping/relax/seightseing weekend, we quicly chose this hotel to stay after reading the reviews. With our expectations high up there we were pretty sure that we would somehow be disappointed. We did not!!!This hotel has everything!! Elegance, Charm, location - you name it! The details and the service provided makes the experince absolutely unique. Like The bathrobes and slippers, the complimentary products provided in the bathroom, the breakfast menu and the beautiful complimentary SPA area with a small pool and jacuzzi which we had all to ourselves!! The SPA treatments are also absolutely worth a try!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

A friend and I stayed in the hotel for four nights,what a gem.I am not going to rabbit on but just to say I would highly recommend the hotel.What a wonderful few days in Tallinn and the accommodation was superb.

Eating Tip:Surprisingly one of our best meals in Tallinn was at the Indian Restaurant,Chakra.My friend whose Dad is Indian was highly impressed.Try it out.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

The Telegraph as all the other reviewers have said is a really lovely hotel. It was converted from the old telecomms building (thus the name) in the center of the old town and I assume quite recently at that because it's very modern in it's decor. While modern, it is still comfortable and relaxed and not pretentious at all. The spa and swimming pool were small, but very welcome and never too busy, although perhaps a cold February made it less busy than it would be otherwise. The staff in the spa were very friendly, although I didn't try the spa treatments myself, just the pool and sauans. The reception staff weren't so welcoming, I felt like they were resentful of me or something, it was very peculiar and that spoilt what was otherwise a great stay.

The onsite restuarant, Tchaikosky, was very classy and looked beautiful and I heard the food was amazing, but I was always exploring the town and eating out so never tried it myself. In truth I had some mixed food in town, some places are a bit touristic and fake, so probably were I to go back again would try it (although it wasn't cheap). The room was large, elegantly furnished, and the big bathroom very clean, a great powerful shower and all the Elemis cleaning products first class. My only complaints were the expensive TV channels (not that I wanted to watch TV but found it perverse when paying so much for a room that TV was extra). The room was also spotless when we returned and while the view was nothing special looking out onto a car park and flats behind the hotel.

Location wise it's great, you don't really want to see much of Tallinn other than the old town to be honest. The new part is rather drab, so being right in the middle of Old Town, 2 minutes from the main square is perfect. The city is a mix of lovely old elegant buildings, some lovely authentic and cosy bars and cafes and some real nasty tourist traps. It's amusing, but overall a lovely place to visit. It's not as cheap as you'd expect, although if you get out of Old Town prices do fall dramatically, but your surroundings just won't be as pretty.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

There's not really a better place to stay in Tallinn than the Hotel Telegraaf. Some 5 star hotels can be snooty or too far up their own backside's for their own good, but this hotel is just elegant and friendly, the perfect mix.

Location wise it cannot be beaten, right in the centre of the old town, it serves as an ideal base to explore.

The rooms are excellent, plush and have every facility you should ever require! The bed was extremely comfortable, my night's sleep was full every night! I was facing the internal courtyard.

Breakfast was served in the hotel's award winning Tchaikovsky Restaurant (which I had the pleasure of eating dinner in on the Sunday night!). It was full and plentiful, serving cold meats, cheeses, fish, sausages, scrambled eggs (other eggs and dishes or order), mushrooms and tomatoes. Cereal and bread, basically everything you would need and tea or coffee impeccably served by the attentive waiting staff.

Front desk staff were very kind and helpful. They even looked up train and bus times for me with advice on when best to travel and such. I also tried the lobby bar, again, impeccable advice from the barman on what he had to offer behind the bar.

There is not a thing I could fault this hotel on, not that I wanted to either! It is simply magnificent.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Telegraaf? Share your experiences!