“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 81 hotels in Tallinn
Retired of Sussex
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Hotel Telegraaf is in the Old Town and easy walking distance to the big shopping mall if you are looking for modern shops. Staff were excellent especially the young man who acts as the Concierge at weekends we later found out was still at school ,his English was very good and his personality even better. We booked into the restaurant the first night but as I am a veggie the menu didn't suit me but I have to say my husband enjoyed his venison steak. If going back to Tallinn I would stay at the Hotel Telegraaf again.

847 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hard to fault this hotel tbh. Nice spa area, didn't have the treatments as you can find cheaper near by but use of the pool and sauna , steam are free. A nice way to spend an hour in the eve.
Rooms are a good size and well furnished, I was impressed with the under floor heating in the bathroom. Beds are very comfortable

The really nice thing about the hotel is how they've maintained the character , it's an historic building and you do feel the ambience. I'm not a fan of big corporate type hotels and this certainly isn't that. Well worth the money and the staff are very very helpful. It's rated as the best hotel in Tallinn and I imagine it is.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, I was in the standard room and it was beautiful
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Irmela H, General Manager at Hotel Telegraaf, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest

First of all to you and your family a very happy healthly and prosperous new year and for 2013 only the best of wishes!

Secondly, on behalf of the entire team here at the Hotel Telegraaf my thanks for your review on tripadvisor . It was great to read that you enjoyed our pool area as well as our rooms and the entire decor and architecure of the building and I could not agree with you more that we are certainly not a „big corporate type hotel“... more so, with our 86 rooms, a boutique style hotel ..!

Thank you again for taking to time and effort to review us ! Much appreciated!

And should your travels bring you back to the beautiful city of Tallinn it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Hotel Telegraaf !

Best wishes,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

It was our first trip to Tallinn and I checked with Trip Advisor for hotel recommendation. Decided to write in the Hotel Telegraaf for rates and availability during the Christmas period as it was highly rated in TA. The booking manager, Karin Tani, was extremely helpful. She offered us a executive room with a sofa bed for my family of 4 instead of 2 connecting rooms which could have cost us about 400€ more for my stay. Since it was our first trip to Tallinn, I asked her many questions on the city and she promptly replied them all with very helpful information. She even offered to help us on the booking of restaurants for Christmas eve dinner as most restaurants were closed in Tallinn.
Upon arrival at the Tallinn Airport, the hotel driver was already waiting for us despite the flight from Helsinki was delayed by almost 2 hours. When we reached the hotel, we were quite pleasantly shock at the grandness and beauty of the building and its luxurious decoration. It comes with big modern elevators! The room was nicely decorated and CLEAN. Though a bit small for my family of 4, but no complain as it was our choice to save some money. I actually double checked the rates cos the rates quoted to me were quite low (base on my other experiences with other European hotels) for such a luxury hotel for a family of 4 with breakfast. Talking about breakfast, it was another pleasant surprise. Excellent buffet selection, and came with freshly prepared ala crate menu as well. The kids liked the pancake. My favorite was the free flow of sparking wine!
The location was the third surprise. It was located on a quite but easily accessible street in old town, and only a stone throw away from the Townhall square and the Christmas market. Rest of the old town attractions and the shopping centres were within walking distance.
Overall I would rate Hotel Telegraaf as the best hotel with the best value I've stayed in Europe. I would highly recommend this hidden gem to my friends visiting Tallinn. Thanks to Karin and the rest of the HT staff for making our visit to Tallinn so unforgettable. Thanks for the Christmas gift of a bottle of Tallinn wine, chocolate and cookies. Nice personal touch! With love from Michael and family (Singapore) :)

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Michael & Family!

From all of us here at the Hotel Telegraaf to you and yours a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year and for 2013 only the best of wishes !

Also, we would like to thank you that our 2012 reviews close on such lovely and supportive words of praise !

Thank you !

Your review has been shared, reviewed and discussed internally (as all our reviews) and it was much appreciated by all !

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Hotel Telegraaf and the beautiful city of Tallinn hopefully in the not too distant future !

With best wishes on behalf of the entire team,

I.Heinisus
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My partner and I are regular visitors in Tallinn. This time we decided to try Telegraaf, a small luxury hotel that is located in the heart of Old Town close to a christmas market.
We arrived to the hotel before 11AM, more than three hours before the official check in time - and got our room without waiting.
We wished to have a high-floor room and that's what we got: 5th floor of a six-story building.
There was a huge wall to wall window with a charming view into the medieval Old Town, couch and armchair in our spacious executive room. The colors such as red and brown made a cosy and warm atmosphere. The design was a sort of mix of classic and modern.
The only downside was the bed. We prefer king size bed instead of two single beds. Anyway, our beds were really soft.
In the late night we watched TV. The channel selection was poor and so was the small and old TV itself. We were told that the hotel is going to update their in-room entertainment in the near future.
Breakfast was served in a lovely restaurant Tchaikovsky that has lately ranked as the best restaurant in Tallinn.
Breakfast selection wasn't enormous but it was good enough. Sparkling wine was a bonus and I was able to mix my mimosa. :)
One of the best if not the best place in the hotel was the spa that had two sauna (dry and hamam), jacuzzi, and swimming pool. It was like a garden and the glass roof gave a lot of natural light. It was a great way to start a day.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Hotel Telegraaf on tripadvisor.

We value and appreciate all our on line reviews as we can use them both for motivational as well as for training purposes. So thank you again for taking the time !

Thank you also for commenting positively on our services and facilities offered.

And I was happy to read that we were able to fulfil your room request.

Great to read that you did enjoy our Elemis Spa and pool area.

It is indeed correct that we are looking into replacing our flatscreen TVs as well as changing our inroom entertainment program; a questionaire has been put in all our guests rooms for a duration of more than 8 weeks which gave us some indication on our guest’s expectations when it comes to the TV and in-room entertainment.

Should your travels bring you back to the beautiful city of Tallinn it would be our pleasure to be able to welcome you back to the Hotel Telegraaf; when placing your booking please feel free to refer to this review on tripadvisor.

Thank you for your patronage and from all of us here at the Hotel Telegraaf a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Quality hotel in great location. Friendly service and very good breakfast. Beds and pillows were too soft and room interior is not modern. Spa is nice and peacefull. Overall hotel is very nice and most important location is very good right in the centre of old town!

• Stayed December 2012
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

An ex-telegraph station located in the old town. The room is nicely decorated. The hotel also has one of the best restaurants in town. Stone throw away from most of the tourist attractions in the old town. Staff is very friendly. Highly recommended.

Dear Guest

Just a brief and quick note that we all here at the Hotel Telegraaf appreciated your kind review of our hotel, facilities and services offered.

Already today we are looking forward to being able to welcome you back to the beautiful city of Tallinn and to the Hotel Telegraaf.

To you and yours a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year !

Best wishes,

Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The building and the hotel are beautiful and situated in the heart of the old town – I would say it's the best possible place in Tallinn. The rooms are comfortable and well decorated, the small spa also. Although the spa gets crowded if more than a few people are there at the same time. (There were three kids making a mess fooling around at the pool but fortunately the cleaning lady came to calm them down.) Also had to witness 5 people entering the jacuzzi without taking a shower. I think it would be neccessary to give clearer instructions to take a shower before entering the pools.

Restaurant Tchaikovsky was a superb experience, the service was excellent, as was the food. Loved the piano trio playing during dinner. Otherwise the service was a bit shaky, depending on the person in charge. One person doing the check-in and out is definately not enough. If you are in a hurry leaving, note that you should reserve at least a half an hour for the check-out.

The biggest disappointment was the housekeeping. We were a party of 8 people with 4 rooms, and all of the rooms had dust on the tables and the floors were not cleaned properly. One evening when leaving to have dinner, I asked the receptionist to send housekeeping in two of the rooms to wipe the tables and the vacuum the floor. Four hours later only the towels had been chanced, the tables and the floors were still untouched. Two out of three nights the rooms were not turned down, so you never knew what to expect when returning to the room in the evening. There were also problems with the heating, the rooms tended to be on the chilly side. The receptionist advised to keep one key card in the slot at the room at all times so the temperature wouldn't fall down, but the housekeeping kept taking them away for some reason. This happened also after we had mentioned about it at the reception.

One minor thing is that if I book a double room, I expect to have a double bed, not twin beds. In our case, three out of four ”double” rooms had twin beds. Otherwise the rooms were nice, silent and spacious enough with beautiful views.

Overall a beautiful hotel, but the housekeeping and the shaky service needs some serious improvement if Telegraaf wants to retain it's place as the best rated hotel in Tallinn.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most detailed review on tripadvisor.

We value and appreciate all our online reviews, they are being read and discussed internally and are used both for motivational as well as for training purposes.

Thank you for commenting so positively –among others -on the hotel’s location and eg Restaurant service.

For the breakdown in communication between our Front Office and Housekeeping department I can only but apologise. The detailed description of your experience has been shared with the Department Heads and staff in question to prevent incidents like this from happening again.

We strive to be of utmost service to all of our guests and should your travels bring you back to the beautiful city of Tallinn it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Hotel Telegraaf and please kindly mention your review efforts on tripadvisor when placing your next booking.

info@telegraafhotel.com

Been to Hotel Telegraaf? Share your experiences!