“Luxury hotel in an excellent location with reasonable rates.” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Telegraaf to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vene 9, Tallinn 10123, Estonia   |
Ranked #3 of 85 hotels in Tallinn
“Luxury hotel in an excellent location with reasonable rates.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

It was our first trip to Tallinn and I checked with Trip Advisor for hotel recommendation. Decided to write in the Hotel Telegraaf for rates and availability during the Christmas period as it was highly rated in TA. The booking manager, Karin Tani, was extremely helpful. She offered us a executive room with a sofa bed for my family of 4 instead of 2 connecting rooms which could have cost us about 400€ more for my stay. Since it was our first trip to Tallinn, I asked her many questions on the city and she promptly replied them all with very helpful information. She even offered to help us on the booking of restaurants for Christmas eve dinner as most restaurants were closed in Tallinn.
Upon arrival at the Tallinn Airport, the hotel driver was already waiting for us despite the flight from Helsinki was delayed by almost 2 hours. When we reached the hotel, we were quite pleasantly shock at the grandness and beauty of the building and its luxurious decoration. It comes with big modern elevators! The room was nicely decorated and CLEAN. Though a bit small for my family of 4, but no complain as it was our choice to save some money. I actually double checked the rates cos the rates quoted to me were quite low (base on my other experiences with other European hotels) for such a luxury hotel for a family of 4 with breakfast. Talking about breakfast, it was another pleasant surprise. Excellent buffet selection, and came with freshly prepared ala crate menu as well. The kids liked the pancake. My favorite was the free flow of sparking wine!
The location was the third surprise. It was located on a quite but easily accessible street in old town, and only a stone throw away from the Townhall square and the Christmas market. Rest of the old town attractions and the shopping centres were within walking distance.
Overall I would rate Hotel Telegraaf as the best hotel with the best value I've stayed in Europe. I would highly recommend this hidden gem to my friends visiting Tallinn. Thanks to Karin and the rest of the HT staff for making our visit to Tallinn so unforgettable. Thanks for the Christmas gift of a bottle of Tallinn wine, chocolate and cookies. Nice personal touch! With love from Michael and family (Singapore) :)

• Stayed December 2012
Irmela H, General Manager at Hotel Telegraaf, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Michael & Family!

From all of us here at the Hotel Telegraaf to you and yours a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year and for 2013 only the best of wishes !

Also, we would like to thank you that our 2012 reviews close on such lovely and supportive words of praise !

Thank you !

Your review has been shared, reviewed and discussed internally (as all our reviews) and it was much appreciated by all !

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Hotel Telegraaf and the beautiful city of Tallinn hopefully in the not too distant future !

With best wishes on behalf of the entire team,

I.Heinisus

887 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My partner and I are regular visitors in Tallinn. This time we decided to try Telegraaf, a small luxury hotel that is located in the heart of Old Town close to a christmas market.
We arrived to the hotel before 11AM, more than three hours before the official check in time - and got our room without waiting.
We wished to have a high-floor room and that's what we got: 5th floor of a six-story building.
There was a huge wall to wall window with a charming view into the medieval Old Town, couch and armchair in our spacious executive room. The colors such as red and brown made a cosy and warm atmosphere. The design was a sort of mix of classic and modern.
The only downside was the bed. We prefer king size bed instead of two single beds. Anyway, our beds were really soft.
In the late night we watched TV. The channel selection was poor and so was the small and old TV itself. We were told that the hotel is going to update their in-room entertainment in the near future.
Breakfast was served in a lovely restaurant Tchaikovsky that has lately ranked as the best restaurant in Tallinn.
Breakfast selection wasn't enormous but it was good enough. Sparkling wine was a bonus and I was able to mix my mimosa. :)
One of the best if not the best place in the hotel was the spa that had two sauna (dry and hamam), jacuzzi, and swimming pool. It was like a garden and the glass roof gave a lot of natural light. It was a great way to start a day.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Hotel Telegraaf on tripadvisor.

We value and appreciate all our on line reviews as we can use them both for motivational as well as for training purposes. So thank you again for taking the time !

Thank you also for commenting positively on our services and facilities offered.

And I was happy to read that we were able to fulfil your room request.

Great to read that you did enjoy our Elemis Spa and pool area.

It is indeed correct that we are looking into replacing our flatscreen TVs as well as changing our inroom entertainment program; a questionaire has been put in all our guests rooms for a duration of more than 8 weeks which gave us some indication on our guest’s expectations when it comes to the TV and in-room entertainment.

Should your travels bring you back to the beautiful city of Tallinn it would be our pleasure to be able to welcome you back to the Hotel Telegraaf; when placing your booking please feel free to refer to this review on tripadvisor.

Thank you for your patronage and from all of us here at the Hotel Telegraaf a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Quality hotel in great location. Friendly service and very good breakfast. Beds and pillows were too soft and room interior is not modern. Spa is nice and peacefull. Overall hotel is very nice and most important location is very good right in the centre of old town!

• Stayed December 2012
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

An ex-telegraph station located in the old town. The room is nicely decorated. The hotel also has one of the best restaurants in town. Stone throw away from most of the tourist attractions in the old town. Staff is very friendly. Highly recommended.

Dear Guest

Just a brief and quick note that we all here at the Hotel Telegraaf appreciated your kind review of our hotel, facilities and services offered.

Already today we are looking forward to being able to welcome you back to the beautiful city of Tallinn and to the Hotel Telegraaf.

To you and yours a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year !

Best wishes,

Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The building and the hotel are beautiful and situated in the heart of the old town – I would say it's the best possible place in Tallinn. The rooms are comfortable and well decorated, the small spa also. Although the spa gets crowded if more than a few people are there at the same time. (There were three kids making a mess fooling around at the pool but fortunately the cleaning lady came to calm them down.) Also had to witness 5 people entering the jacuzzi without taking a shower. I think it would be neccessary to give clearer instructions to take a shower before entering the pools.

Restaurant Tchaikovsky was a superb experience, the service was excellent, as was the food. Loved the piano trio playing during dinner. Otherwise the service was a bit shaky, depending on the person in charge. One person doing the check-in and out is definately not enough. If you are in a hurry leaving, note that you should reserve at least a half an hour for the check-out.

The biggest disappointment was the housekeeping. We were a party of 8 people with 4 rooms, and all of the rooms had dust on the tables and the floors were not cleaned properly. One evening when leaving to have dinner, I asked the receptionist to send housekeeping in two of the rooms to wipe the tables and the vacuum the floor. Four hours later only the towels had been chanced, the tables and the floors were still untouched. Two out of three nights the rooms were not turned down, so you never knew what to expect when returning to the room in the evening. There were also problems with the heating, the rooms tended to be on the chilly side. The receptionist advised to keep one key card in the slot at the room at all times so the temperature wouldn't fall down, but the housekeeping kept taking them away for some reason. This happened also after we had mentioned about it at the reception.

One minor thing is that if I book a double room, I expect to have a double bed, not twin beds. In our case, three out of four ”double” rooms had twin beds. Otherwise the rooms were nice, silent and spacious enough with beautiful views.

Overall a beautiful hotel, but the housekeeping and the shaky service needs some serious improvement if Telegraaf wants to retain it's place as the best rated hotel in Tallinn.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most detailed review on tripadvisor.

We value and appreciate all our online reviews, they are being read and discussed internally and are used both for motivational as well as for training purposes.

Thank you for commenting so positively –among others -on the hotel’s location and eg Restaurant service.

For the breakdown in communication between our Front Office and Housekeeping department I can only but apologise. The detailed description of your experience has been shared with the Department Heads and staff in question to prevent incidents like this from happening again.

We strive to be of utmost service to all of our guests and should your travels bring you back to the beautiful city of Tallinn it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Hotel Telegraaf and please kindly mention your review efforts on tripadvisor when placing your next booking.

Monaco-Ville, Monaco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I had high expectations given the Nr. 1 ranking on Tripadvisor, and the general look and feel. But what a disappointment !!! The Telegraaf is inside the old town in an area where many taxis are not allowed to drive in, so you need to walk the last 150 m. (This could easily changed by the hotel according to the taxi driver). If you manage to drive up to the hotel by car you will not get help from a valet service. Nobody there. Never. Definitely NOT five star. The receptionist was friendly, but some of the other staff looked a bit grim. When I asked where I could smoke a cigar the answer was "outside". Why not ... it was only minus 10 degrees ... When I consequently asked for a smoking room, I was told that the management doesn't want any smoking rooms. The room I was initally given was the smallest room I have seen in the last 20 years and that includes trips to London. Back to reception: was my rate (€ 145) so low? No. Could I have a bigger room? Yes. The new room in the new wing was nicely furnished just as the public areas. No complaints here. But the cleaning of floors and baths left much to be desired (in both rooms!). Definitely a lack of hygienic rigour. And why do they initially stick a first-time visitor paying a relatively high rate into the worst of all rooms? Stupid. I will never come back.
BTW: the Swissotel Tallinn is fantastic. It even has a wonderful cigar lounge, just like the Schlössle Hotel, the Three Sisters Hotel - and Tallinn Airport.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Irmela H, General Manager at Hotel Telegraaf, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Tripadvisor’s “TrophyCollector”

Thank you for your review of the Hotel Telegraaf here in the beautiful city of Tallinn!

We appreciate each of our reviews; these are being reviewed and discussed internally.

First of all, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel.

In none of the online portals does it state in the hotel description of the Hotel Telegraaf that we feature a smoking lounge or smoking rooms, and indeed the decision for this five star hotel to become a Non Smoking Hotel was made a long time ago and is usually very well received by our esteemed guests and clients. And as a Non Smoking hotel indeed the only smoking possibilities are not within our walls, are not indoors.

Allow me to address the other points you raised:

Indeed the Hotel Telegraaf is located in the car restricted area within Tallinn’s Old Town, just a mere 2 walking minutes from the Town Hall Square and all cars and taxis but one taxi company have to stop in front of the restricted area, 50m away from the main door.

- Would it be indeed so easy to change this as your taxi driver made you believe, the management of the Hotel Telegraaf would have changed it a long time ago.

- Should you be driving up with our own car or chauffeured driven car to the Hotel Telegraaf: as a guest of the Hotel Telegraaf you can drive to the doors of the secured underground parking area, ring the bell to the secure parking area and a staff member will not only open the parking gates for you, but indeed assist you with your luggage!

- And of course the Hotel Telegraaf does offer a limousine transfer from e.g. the Airport and of course luggage assistance is offered.

Our night receptionist who checked you in late in the evening and out the following early morning did indeed communicate your comment regarding the lack of a smoking lounge / smoking rooms; and as the timeframe you stayed with us was short, I presume your and our definition of “Never” differs.

Thank you for your comments regarding cleanliness, “grim” looking staff and room allocation; these points have been taken up with the respective department heads.

I feel that I can only but apologize to you that your decision to book the Hotel Telegraaf was not a good one for you as we do not feature a smoking lounge; nowhere does it state that we do.

To you and your family and loved ones: a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Irmela Heinsius
Stavanger, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We had paid for a de-luxe room and was very disappointed. The room was cold and the bathroom even colder. The staff was contacted but no improvement. The heating system was not functional and made a lot of noise. The breadfeast was not the best. The one good thing about the hotel was the location. The spa was small but OK.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Irmela H, General Manager at Hotel Telegraaf, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Guest, dear tripadvisor’s „Marion B“,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay here at the Hotel Telegraaf in the beautiful city of Tallinn !

We all here at the hotel take our reviews, guest comments cards as well as all other guest and customer’s feedback most seriously.

The reviews are being read, evaluated and shared with our staff as we belief that they are a great motivational tool yet they also help and assist us to adjust / aline our training plans accordingly.

Please accept my apologies that we were not able to meet your expections of your stay at the Hotel Telegraaf.

In order for us to further investigate where we were lacking in our internal communication during your stay, please allow me to solicite some additional information from you:

If you could share with us the room number you stayed in ? and may I presume you contacted Reception when you found that the room temperature was not to your liking, and if you could share with us when that was.

Thank you ! An easy remedy would have been to supply an additional heater, as it indeed does take some time for the heating in the room and the floor heating in the bathroom to increase from its customary 22C.

The information as to when staff was contacted and where / how, dear Marion B, will help us identifying the training need in communication of the staffmember in question and / or even to review entire operational procedures.

We are indeed striving to provide each of our guest a great stay with us so I am indeed sorry and concerned that we did not succeed in your case.

Yet also, please allow me to thank you that you pointed out that our Spa was to your liking, small as it is owning to the nature of a heritage building in an Old Town and that you also rated the location of the hotel itself favourably.

Again, our thanks for the time taken to review us !

With best wishes for a great remaining Advent season, a merry Christmas and all the best for 2013.

I Heinsius
info@telegraafhotel.com

Been to Hotel Telegraaf? Share your experiences!