“Great Hotel and great staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Telegraaf
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vene 9, Tallinn 10123, Estonia   |
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Great Hotel and great staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The location was great. It is very close to the town hall square. The staff treated me so well. The receptionist was extremely helpful. She looked up bus and ferry times for me, and even offered to book trips for me. She made good restaurant recommendations, and suggested sites I might enjoy. I think it may have been the best stay I've had in a long time, and I travel a lot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The staff were friendly and welcoming. The hotel room was tastefully decorated and very clean. Breakfast is in lovely surroundings and the staff were very attentive. Very good buffet and menu selection as well. Great location for the Christmas Market which is only around the corner. Lots of shops nearby and the hotel pool is lovely, even though it was a tiny bit colder than I like. Would definitely book this hotel again.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor is good as it is good access for the health facilities
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SG
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed 3 nights. Got a lovely, spacious room facing the back. All amenities you could need are available in-room. Rooms were always clean when we returned after a day out, and there is a turn down service each night. Spa offerings were wide, and the little swimming pool functional. Would be nice to have a small fitness room/ gym. Location in the Old Town is perfect: two streets / 1 minute from the town square, and near enough to exit the Old Town should one wish to wander outside into Tallinn.

The in-house restaurant, Tchaikovsky, is sublime. It is rated as the best restaurant in Tallinn on tripadvisor and it seriously may be the best. The cuisine is flawless, exquisite - from the breadsticks & mushroom dip to all the variety of dishes we tried over the several times we dined there. The menu changes seasonally or more often. The service was good, some waiters obviously more experienced than others - but the newer waitresses do try, and deserve to be given props for that. Pleasantly unpretentious, for a semi-fine dining experience.

Which brings me to the only gripe I have with my experience there. It was almost perfect save for the service. I never felt 'particularly welcomed' during my stay; that warm service that other traveller's seem to rave about was sorely missing. The night receptionist was actually abrupt when asked for assistance. I want to put it down to merely the language barrier, but one could easily make up for that shortcoming by...well, maybe smiling more. Anyway, it is just an attitude issue. No one was actually rude (though cutting me off by telling me "all the information is on the piece of paper I just gave you" before hearing my questions, which by the way were NOT addressed by that piece of paper, may be categorized as such...).

I just wouldn't use the word 'warm' or 'personable' for the service here - no porter to assist with luggage when I arrived (had to lug it up some steps, which isn't an issue, just not perfectly ideal), puzzling receptionist (I actually dealt with one in particular throughout my stay - the others who didn't attend to me seem pleasant enough) etc. service was Adequate enough, efficient enough - but i feel this hotel could do so much better. A pity that the hotel just fell short of perfect for me in this regard. Because feeling warmly welcomed is such a significant part of a magical hotel experience.

Nevertheless, I would stay here again easily.

Nevertheless, I would still recommend the hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Irmela H, General Manager at Hotel Telegraaf, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Ms Chong

Thank you so much for your time to write such a detailed and easy to read review on our Hotel Telegraaf here in the beautiful city of Tallinn!
We do take all our on-line reviews seriously and they are reviewed in great detail as they can be used for both motivational measures as well as to adjust our training plans.

It was great to read that you did indeed thoroughly enjoy your stay, and thank you for your particularly nice words on our Restaurant Tchaikovsky!
Much appreciated! Yet I am of course saddened to read, yet grateful for you to point out the flaw in your stay, that you did not receive the welcome reception which we strive to provide to all our guest.
Your particular review and experience has been discussed with our Front Office Manager to share and adjust the training of the receptionist in question.

Thank you so much for recommending our Hotel Telegraaf to fellow travelers and we all here would be very happy to be able to welcome you back to our hotel during your next trip to Tallinn, which we hope will be in the not too distant future.

With “Season’s Greetings” and best wishes,

I.Heinsius
Turku, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

After we found Telegraaf Hotel we have had no need what so ever to go anywhere else - ever.
Before we had tried several hotels in Tallinn. We found the comfort, silence and service here.
Restaurant Tchaikovsky dont let any wishes, it is close perfection.
Breakfast is mouth watering.
Spa is for adult relaxation. Very professional care.
Screaming children and loud adults are rare.
Perfect location.
We have been there many times and will come back many more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Hotel Telegraaf can be warmly recommended for a very pleasent stay in Tallinn. It's location at the Vene Street is perfect and some of the best restaurants of Tallinn are next door but the hotel itself has one of the best in the city. At this time of the year ther's a lovely Christmas market just around the corner where you can find nice Estonian products. We will absolutely return here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Had a wonderful stay Friday to Sunday, we were a group of 20 people, and everyone enjoyed their stay! Very good location in a side street off the main square in the Old Town, but within a very short walk of "everyting"
The service was good, buffet brekfast had everything you could want, and the beds were excellent as well. The staff answered all my questions with a smile, and I would definitely go back there next time in Tallinn!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kristiansand, Vest-Agder, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Warm hospitaliy. High quality.Nice rooms. Excelent restaurant. Swimmingpool.Sauna and massage. I'll be back! It's modern, but still oldfashioned.. The Old, oak door welcomes you and reflects The quality inside

Room Tip: 606. It's got everything
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Telegraaf? Share your experiences!