“First Class Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
Welshpool, United Kingdom
“First Class Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here very much from the warm welcome to the very helpful departure (our transfer operators had car trouble but the Reception staff were very efficient in dealing with the issue). We stayed in the Sanctuary Suite which has plenty of room and a nice comfortable bed. There is also a lovely big bath for 2. We enjoyed drinks (recommend the hot wine) in the lounge and also had Tallinn liqueur ice shots in the Ice Bar. The breakfast buffets had plenty of choice and set you up for the day. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. As an added bonus you're right in the heart of things with every attraction within walking distance.

Room Tip: Sanctuary Suite is very spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and other tripadvisor reviewers.

It made our day to read of the various details you have appreciated and pointed out while staying at the Merchants House Hotel, Tallinn Estonia.

I just loved the pictures you have posted to.

Wishing you a great summer

Sincerely yours,

General Manager - Merchants House Hotel, Tallinn Estonia
Email: gm@merchantshousehotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Polish first
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Well I am a compulsive organiser, so once I had booked the room I emailed the GM, Jonathan, and he was so helpful, responding very quickly to my queries and giving us great advice. This was before we had even got there! We arrived, early, to the hotel and the room wasn't ready - but it was before 2pm so no worries, we wandered off to have lunch, then came back to find we had been given a suite - excellent!! the room was clean, tidy, well looked after, and very quiet - something I really like as I am a very light sleeper. The bathroom was perfectly formed with a lovely big, deep bath, shower over and all other things it needed. The bed, quite high off the floor, was comfortable and we both slept very well. We had a couples massage, hot stones for me and a back buster for him and that was very relaxing, really helped get the stress out. We ate in the restaurant on the first night - the food was fabulous! There was a big lean towards the mediterranean for the starters and a good mix for the main courses - the fillet steak was to die for - perfectly cooked and really succulent, the house wine, both white and red were very drinkable. Breakfast was good again, a serve yourself buffet on the weekends, but a served, along with a buffet during the week. Really helpful staff, who went out of their way to help you, they stood up when you walked in, wonderful. This is truly a little gem hidden right by the town square. I would go back in a heart beat - I only left there today!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from Dunkri Street as the beer house opposite can be a little noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon,

I must first apologise, for not replying to your posting before this time. Its been a little busy organise for the summer season.

Anyway thank you very much for all the kind comments.

I always try to help guests before there arrival to Tallinn, with restaurants, reservations, places to visit, spa treatments and other activities in Tallinn :)

Looking forwrad to welcoming you back, and hopefully seeing you during the December Christmas market period.

Yours sincerely,

General Manager - Merchants House Hotel - Tallinn Estonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

We spent three nigts in the Merchants. They gave us the room 211, big, well decorated, warm and whith a sauna in the bathroom!!!! The breakfast was grate and the recepcion crue very helpfull , kind and nice.
If we return to tallin we will return to the Merchants hotel.
Si alguien quiere ir a Tallin sin duda este hotel es superrecomendable!!!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We and other tripadvisor reviewers appreciate your kind comments.

Please dont hesitate to contact myself or my sales manager Eneli, when you or friends decide to travel back to Tallinn, Estonia.

GM - Merchants House Hotel
Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Perfectly located for the city centre yet (certainly our room) was astonishingly peaceful, The breakfasts were excellent for a small hotel with ample fresh fruit and yogurt as well as carefully cooked options and all the staff were professional and obliging. The small negative observations would be that the decor is slightly worn and if black pud is on the menu, it should not be repeatedly unavailable!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tetbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Make no mistake, this hotel was really good value for money (we paid the rate for a basic room). My only negative points would be:

1) Room finish was a bit dodgy - also hated the sliding door to the shower room.
2) The breakfast area really had a nasty whiff of drains and sewage - it was vile!
3) The corridor outside our room was verysterile - with plastic wall light lamp shades!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Paul & Nick,

I was extremely sorry to read your report on tripadvisor and have not replied to you as I wanted to investigate everyting and speak to all staff before replying to you.

I am glad that you found the twin room comfortable and of good value for money.

The Merchants House Hotel has many rooms with individual design features. This is due to the fact that we had to work with the building and UNESCO when renovating this 14th and 16th century building(s).

The twin room that you stayed in is the only twin room in the Merchants House Hotel that has a smoked glass sliding door into the shower room. This is due to a protected large triple window separating the shower room and lounge area in the bedroom. This was the only design way we could have a door to access the shower room. I also believe that after yearly 10 years this is the first time someone has commented on this as a negative point.

I wish you had informed myself or reception and we could have moved you to another room without this feature. As this is the only room with this feature.

The smell that comes and goes at the entrance to the breakfast room, has been identified as I wrote in a previous reply to a guest on tripadvisor. This comes from a courtyard that is no owned by the hotel. But an enginneering company is fixing this issue, so that there is not a smell that comes and goes to the entrance.... I am sorry for this issue.

The short corridor, does have designer lamps that where add there when the hotel opened and will be replaced when the renovation takes place in that area. I however hoped you enjoyed and liked the old pictures of Tallinn that where in the corridors?

I thank you for staying with us and writing a review.

Kind regards

General Manager - Merchants House Hotel
gm@merchantshousehotel.com
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

The location was perfect for wandering around Tallinn. The room was spacious and comfortable. They earsily accommodated our need for a third bed for my five year old son, not just a cot but a sofa that turned into a bed. The front desk was always available for advice and guidance. We loved the massive tub in the bathroom and our afternoons spent in front of the hotel's fireplace drinking mulled wine and enjoying snack. The made to order breakfasts were a nice treat, a break from the usual spread at other hotels we stayed on our trip across Finland and Russia.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on tripadvisor. I and my team where happy to read how your enjoyed your time at the Merchants House Hotel and Tallinn.

Being a Father, I do understand the importance to ensure children feel comfortable when travelling with there parents. I am glad that we made that happen. We always try.....

It was very important for me to read the good comments regarding breakfast.
I have just organised a new chef to even improve this further. This will start to happen within the next few weeks.

Wishing you all the Best

Kind Regards

Jonathan Poole - General Manager, Merchants House Hotel
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful, small boutique hotel, perfectly located in old town Tallinn. Service was excellent, rooms clean, comfortable and of unique character. Wifi free/fast and breakfast lavish, served in a medieval stone hall in the basement. Spa/gym combo came as an extra bonus. Stationary bike was rather decoration as out of order, roving machine worked. Sauna design left some room for improvment - get the workmen back to adjust height of showers and warm the also the feet, not only head, of the sauna guests... Will be back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Kai,

Thank you for your kind comments about the hotel and its facilities. It was warmly welcomed.

I am sorry regarding the hotels gym equipment, I was unaware of this issue. To be honest the gym equipment does not get much usage. I have asked for the bike to be looked at and get fixed.

The shower in the hotels sauna, cannot be higher due to the height of the basement area. that is why the shower offer(s) two types of usage (main large overhead shower and also hand unit.)

Please write to me directly when coming back. looking forward to welcoming you back to the Merchants House Hotel.

Kind regards

General Manager - Merchants House Hotel
Email: gm@merchantshousehotel.com

Been to Merchant's House Hotel? Share your experiences!