“Wonderful warm hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
Tallinn
“Wonderful warm hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I feel like coming home year after year. Staff and service is super, location is perfect 50 m from Raekoija Platz, rooms are all charming and spacious, lobby even has Cranach's on the wall and they now have free Wifi.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Mrs Liesbeth V V D,

Thank you for your kind comments on trip advisor.

I glad that you enjoyed your 6th stay at the Merchants House Hotel and keep on choosing the Merchants House Hotel since 2007.

My staff and I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the Merchants House Hotel and Tallinn Estonia.

Kind Regards

Generla Manager
Tallinn, Estonia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Polish first
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here in January with a group of friends for my birthday. We'd arranged the booking online through the hotel, on arrival I received an upgrade to a suite with a bottle of bubbles to share with my friends. All the other rooms were lovely and great value for a hotel literally round the corner from old town square.

We ate in the hotel the first night and had an amazing meal. The staff at the hotel were great, all very friendly, helpful and spoke excellent English.

We all had a fantastic time and I would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were very pleased with this hotel. Fantastic location, and very reasonably priced. Although it is opposite a noisy beer house we had a courtyard room and didn't hear a sound. The staff are delightful, breakfast is generous. The only disappointment was the 'ice bar' which only had a bit of snow on the top and no ice shot glasses. Massive bathroom with underfloor heating, best feature of the room.

Room Tip: Might want to ask for courtyard room as very quiet.
Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tracy,

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Merchants House Hotel and Tallinn.

Presently we our changing and developing the food and beverage operations and the new theme will be up and running by April/May 2013.

I am continously working on developing of the breakfast with additional new items being added in the next weeks. I am glad already about your positive comments regarding this.

We hope to get a chance to welcome you back to the Merchants House Hotel.

Kind reagrds

Tallinn, Estonia
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

For some bizarre reason, my wife wanted to go to Eastern Europe for a birthday short break. After a bit of research, cheap flights to Tallinn seemed available & it is very cheap to eat out there (dinner for 2 with 3 courses & wine 50 euros :-)

Merchant House Hotel has some glass sliding doors and is nicely appointed - high ceilings, old beams, random Dutch repros lining the walls and the staff are all really friendly & helpful, not typical in Estonia where the customer is often given orders!

Amazingly, there was a bottle of wine waiting for us plus a free suite upgrade which was lovely. The hotel is literally 100 yards from the central town square and 3 nights is more than enough to explore Tallinn's beautiful old town in winter, particularly when it's -10-20 (yes, minus) degrees celsius.

The only issue there is the restaurant (check out reviews of Entrecote Restaurant Tallinn for proof), even at breakfast the food was highly variable (watery scrambled eggs/singular sausage with bacon bits etc) but the buffet was good. We didn't attempt dinner there for obvious reasons and many of Tallinn's best rated restaurants are just around the corner (200 yards, literally).

On the plus side, in our courtyard beautifully warm (ahem) suite (3 seasons, room 207), there was free wifi that actually works, beautifully peaceful, 2 TVs that we never turned on and loads of space. The shower (rose) was wonderful once it warmed up - want a wet room at home now!

Don't expect Western luxury standards of furnishings and you won't be disappointed, although our bed was very comfortable which was fab :-)

Had a wonderful stay - Tallinn & Merchant House Hotel are both highly recommended, even in the depths of an Estonian winter, just take your long-johns/thermals/hats/gloves/scarfs, you will need them!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Hunting,

Thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor.

I am glad you and your wife enjoyed Tallinn and the Merchants House Hotel. Like yourself many people our suprized by the beauty and history of Tallinn and Estonia.

Tallinn has many amazing restaurants which I also believe our good value.

I am glad that you (like many other guests) appreciated the friendly and helpfulness of the staff at the Merchants House Hotel.

I am also glad that you appreciated the birthday upgrade and wine to help you celebrate your wifes birthday.

Tallinn can get very cold in winter but is also very romantic with the snow over the old town building.

As i have mentioned in a previous guests comment, I am presently updating and changing the Food and Beverage outlets, and hope you will have the chance upon your return to see the difference.

I am glad that your thought the beds where amazing, as I am presently upgrading all beds in the Merchants House Hotel and this is already positive news that guests already see the difference.

Thank you again for your kind comments

Tallinn Estonia
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel has a small frontage but is an amazing place in the winter.. All rooms are spacious and even the single I had was the size of a double (My friends rooms were larger but not by much!) and the price was very reasonable for the standard. A friend had a massage in there relax room and said it was brilliant and extremely good value for money.
The mini bar was reasonable and the room came with a safe for valuables and the restaurant was to die for. (Try the steak)
The bar in the hotel is fantastic and does a reasonable range of drinks and cocktails although the ice shots were off when I visited due to a faulty freezer. but the beer was excellent..
The staff are really attentive and all speak English well. The hotel is situated just off the main square which makes it accessible to all areas by foot! overall for my visit this couldn't be bettered hence the Excellent status

Room Tip: One word of warning if you go in the summer is the beer keller opposite which has tables and chairs...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read your very warm comment about Tallinn and the Merchants House Hotel.

I am glad that you and your friends tried and enjoyed all the facilities that the Merchants House Hotel has to offer.

I have forward your compliments to the staff.

Please dont hesitate to contact me or my sales team, directly if you or friend(s) plan to come back to Tallinn, Estonia

Kind Regards

Tallinn Estonia
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed in December with my girlfriend and our 2 year old kid. The location of the hotel is perfect, and the hotel itself is charming, very comfortable, personal and clean. We had an executive double room, which was nice and spacious for our kid to run around. The staff was very friendly. We kept our baby carriages in the hotel lobby.

The breakfast room was very nice and the breakfast itself was very good too.

I'm rating the hotel 4/5 and not 5/5 for few minor things: There was a dull smell of sewer when I was sitting in the lobby having a drink from the hotel bar. And while the breakfast was generally very good, the quality seemed to vary: First morning coffee was superb, second morning it tasted horrible. Also first morning croissants were fresh, second morning the were not.

I would recommend this Merchant's House Hotel to everyone, and we will definitely stay there again if we return to Tallinn.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I visited Tallinn again for the New year celebrations and this time brought other members of the family to enjoy all that an Estonian new year had to offer.

I booked the Merchants house and gave my family the Presidential Suite (3 bedrooms and two en suite bathrooms with one large living area split between three floors).

The food was good, the service was excellent and the location ideal - just 15 metres from the Christmas market). The beds are also excellent. I suggest however that you ask for a room overlooking the hotel courtyard as it is quieter than those overlooking Dunkri street. However I gave my family wax earplugs to sleep with just in case and they had no complaints - all slept like babies!

We spent our time at the hotel either in our rooms or around the open fire which is adjacent to the reception area.

There are of course more expensive and more luxurious hotels in Tallinn, but for the old town experience with a higher quality of service delivery, choose the Merchants House Hotel.

Room Tip: My room was 203, a small double bedded room. Perfectly adequate for me. My family of six (4 adults a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Merchant's House Hotel? Share your experiences!