“Interesting Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
Brisbane, Australia
“Interesting Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Merchant's House hotel is in an historic building with a central courtyard. It is in a perfect location in the heart of the old town so is ideal for exploring the city. We stayed in room 110 which was very comfortable and roomy. However we found the bed tho very comfortable was on a raised platform with two steep steps up to it! Looked like it was on a stage. A bit unnerving especially if you get up during the night and are fearful of falling off the platform. Very odd! Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good. Cooked to order during the week and a buffet at the weekends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments. The bed in room 110 is designed on a raised platform due to the old stairwell going underneath the room.

We look forward to welcome you back any time to the Merchants House Hotel.

If you or friends/family decide to come back to Tallinn/Estonia, please contact me directly next time when making your booking, where I hope to offer you a better price .

Kind Regards,

Merchants House Hotel - Tallinn Estonia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
Lisbon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Hi was in Merchant's House five or six years ago and it was excelent. This year I had the same expectation and I was very disappointed. The hotel has probably the best location in townm just a few meters from the main square and that is the only reason why I could recommend it.
Breakfast was excelent when I was here the first time and this time was bad. They had warm dishes at that time, prepared in the moment. Now it was the "normal" breakfast, but not so warm and the fresh didn't look that fresh.
Also we had problems in ar conditioning that was making some noise (even when it was not working). After the first night, I complained and the staff suggested us to change but for just one more night we didn't move. I think that this could have been checked before guests arrive.
On the second day, our room start to smell not so well. It was smeling like sewer pipes. Probably a consequence of having such an old building.
It is still a good option for tourists that like to stay in the city center. Main square is 30 seconds (or less) from the hotel and there very good restaurants around it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr Miguel Henriques,

Thank you for coming back to the Merchants House Hotel. I am sorry for the issues that we had during your stay.

The individual pump unit on the air conditioning unit broke down during your stay, that is why the reception staff offered a room change. I

Depending upon occupancy the hotel offer A La Carte or buffet items for HOT ingredients. I have been working with the breakfast chef(s) all last week, adding items and hope that you will see the difference on your return.

I hope the cold and rainy Autumn weather did not effect your time in lovely Old Town Tallinn.

Looking forward to welcoming you back

Kind Regards

Merchants House Hotel - Tallinn Estonia
Canterbury, Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The staff and location are the best part of this hotel. The first room we stayed in was an annexe at the rear of the hotel. Although a large room and bathroom, we prefer staying in the main body of a hotel. The beds could have been more comfortable, but were adequate. The breakfast room, and breakfast itself, was very good. We didn't eat in at the hotel, but the bar was very good, and the lounge area with it's fire very welcoming. I can imagine that the Xmas market would be very picturesque, and would certainly stay at the same hotel again.

Room Tip: All the rooms appear to be quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am very proud of the hotel and its staff. We as a team our always trying to make new improvements many of them based upon guests comments.

During the winter period the Merchants House Hotel, will be updating the beds and we will be trying out different mattress in guest rooms during november.

I totally agree the fireplace in the lounge area its cosy and warm, especailly during the winter months.

Please contact me directly when returning to Tallinn.

Thank you again for your comments.

Kind Regards,

General Manager Merchants House Hotel, Tallinn Estonia
Oak Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a very nice hotel located in the lower old town. It is very close to most things. The hotel itself was very charming and clean. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more hospitable. We spent a little extra on a superior room and the space was worth it. When we needed to catch an early flight the hotel made us breakfast to go. We had a UNESCO wall in our room that dated back to 1400. The hotel is across the street from a beer hall and it is noisy at night, Additionally if you have heavy bags the hotel does not have an elevator so you will have to carry your bags up the stairs, I would recommend this hotel without reservation

Room Tip: Try to get one that is not on the street side of the hotel due to the noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Hotel was in a good location in the heart of the old town. No elevator but nice wide stairway. The staff spoke English and were helpful in answering questions. Both the room and bathroom were very large and clean, there was a full bathtub. The bed & furniture was comfortable but tired & dated. Everything worked well in the room. My room faced the front street & was noisy in the evening & nighttime because folks talk loudly as they smoke outside the Bar/Restaurant across the street. Luckily it was a cool enough in the season that I could sleep with windows closed.

The included breakfast was not very exciting. Some hot eggs & British type of food as well as the usual obligatory fruit & cereal.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the back, front views were too noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at the Merchants House Hotel. The Hotel has only 4 rooms that over look the front of the hotel.

We our presently increasing the assortment we serve for breakfast, by adding more pastries and increasing the amount of dishes offered.

We hope to welcome you back soon

helsinki
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Wanted to surprise my girlfriend with a nice hotel in a non-chain hotel. I booked a double room and paid EUR 120 for the room. The room we got was a super-tiny room with high humidity (clothes were wet in the morning!) and a very strong smell of sewer. With a tiny room I mean there was a small table and ONE chair. No sofa, just a bed, and the bed was on the street level and just by the window.. But the most disturbing in this hotel was the smell of sewer, it was really strong, even after one month I still get the smell in my nostrils when thinking about this hotel. When we mentioned about the smell we just got an air refresher bottle, so I guess this wasn't a one-off case.. But on the positive side we slept well, don't know if we passed out of all that methane in the air.. I've seldomly been as happy as checking out from that dungeon, but this was something I paid EUR 120 for?

Room Tip: I would really recommend some other hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelstallinn, Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Sir,

I would be greatful if you could write me an email, my contact details are avilable on the hotels website. I am unable to post it due to tripadvisor rules and regulations.

As this is your first review on tripadvisor and I cannot see any names I am unable to investigate the issues you have written about. Which I am of course deeply concerned about.

I am aware since two weeks ago that the old town goverment has been digging up a large majoriety of the old town. But I am certainly unaware of any issues related to our rooms.

Kind Regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

The first time that I traveled to Estonia, it was just my wife and I. This last trip, we took her mother as well. Both stays my wife and I have enjoyed staying in the suites offered, and this last time my mother in law stayed in a single room. The suites are very spacious and supplied with a comfortable bed and a claw footed tub. Though the tub is in the middle of the room, so I would only get a suite if you ar staying without the need for privacy from your travel mates.

The rooms were great and the staff was certainly helpful. They handled all of our taxis and dinner reservations and made the entire trip a great experience. I am sure that my wife and I will be making another trip back to Estonia and I am sure that we will stay at Merchants House again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family