“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
Northern Ireland
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We had two nights in the Economy Hotel,Tallinn from 7th of June. Great location with tram stop outside the door or five minute walk to old town.
Our room was nice great en-suite and a lovely view of the palace,staff all friendly and willing to help. Not sure why it is called economy we felt it was far better than the name seems to suggest and hope to stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Oslo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We arrived at the hotel (after requesting and reserving TWO rooms, pre-paid). Upon arrival, we were told that we would have to share a room as the hotel had overbooked and there was no other space. When we told the hotel staff this wasn't appropriate (teacher traveling with students), they said they would accomodate one of us at a "guesthouse". Which was good, as someone from Scotland showed up at the same time and he ALSO would be accomodated there.

Off we went...15 minutes later, and several attempts at Russian, we found the guest house. The guest house was circa 1950 communist ghetto, smelled of cat pee and was frankly creepy. At best, it must have been half the price but we had no choice. The hotel made no apology, compensation or what not.

Pre-paid reservations are really pointless.

The shower/water is a complete mystery (water sometimes, then disappears, then trickle, then disappears). The walls are like paper, which allowed ease of access to hear snorers in the next roo. The hotel does have a great view of the presidential palace, if you don't mind the infrastructure underneath. The staff tries, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011 via mobile

I stayed in Economy Hotell the last week of March. It was my first time in Tallinn and I hadn't expected it to be so cold. The hotel was absolutely fantastic. Any poor reviews you read should be ignored. Do people still really expect The Ritz when they pay such low prices? There's a clue in the name of this hotel so get real! My room was large as I had twin for sole use. Own bathroom and desk, tv etc. 24 hour reception so you could come and go as you please. Breakfast was fine and the coffee very good. The best thing about the hotel is the staff and the service. All the staff were so friendly and helpful. I had a late flight on the day I left and it was so cold and I didn't really bring the right clothes. I asked the lady at reception if I could keep the room a little longer. It was no problem and I would like to thank the staff for their kindness. I work in the customer service industry and it is now so hard to get good polite staff. The manager of the hotel should be proud of all his staff. I would certainly stay again and would recommend this hotel. Such amazing value and service. Thank you. Nicholas.

• Stayed March 2011

Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

We arrived in Tallinn for two days with a group of friends. Also I have lived in this hotel with my wife in november. Good location near the old town and very good transport links. Staff friendly and helpful. Free Internet access via Wi-Fi, and additionally the computer near reception were very helpful. Size of rooms is different, there are small, but there are quite spacious. It is not a hotel with all kinds of facilities, but very good value for money. I think this is a good choice for a short stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
bergamo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

I absolutely do not recommend this hotel for those of you who will be in Tallinn.
The only positive thing about it is the position, less than 10 minutes walking from the town hall.
For the rest we really had a bad time there. I spent 3 nights to celebrate the new year with my boyfriend, brother and some friends. The worst thing that could happen is that SOMEBODY BROKE INTO MY BROTHER'S ROOM THE NIGHT OF DECEMBER 31st DECEMBER AND STOLE his camera and blackberry phone. My brother is sure he has locked the room but maybe he hasn't as the lock didn't work properly, so it might have been left open... nevertheless the hotel manager didn't help or do anything about it ! he almost didn't believe what we said. The rooms didn't have any strong box by the way.
Other problems were: the beds were almost never made up (except for 1 day), cold water at night (so you will never have a shower after 8.00 pm), we found sheets with stains and hairs on, and almost nothing to eat for breakfat. Make yourself a favour and DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
EconomyHotelTallinn, Owner at Economy Hotell, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Dear customer! The reader of TripAdvisor!
We are happy to see that you are using the TripAdvisor to write reviews. But please also remember that any serious accusations or reclamations are handled by hotel management. All reclamations shall be entered into in writing or in a format which can be reproduced in writing.
The accusations mentioned above are wrong. These accusations are based on their own irrational thinking and acting (beeing on mood of celebration). The Economy Hotel Management has not been recieved any reclamations in the case of mentioned above. Therefore we encouraged to think twice before you are writing any negative comments you might have.

Economy Hotel Management
Frankfurt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I have stayed at the Skane quite a few times over the years, and I always feel comfortable there. It is not a hotel with all kinds of facilities, but if you want a nice place to stay and you will spend your day-time outside anyway, it is very nice. Admittedly, its location is not the very best, but it is within walking distance from the old town and even coming back at or after midnight, I never felt uncomfortable or threatened on my way. Staff is always very friendly and helpful, the rooms are a bit small but fully sufficient, clean and well-maintained. Free complementary internet access in the lobby is a nice service to guests.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Penzance, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

First off, this hotel is in a lovely location for Tallinn. About a 5 minute walk from the main town centre, and easily accessible due to being next to the tram line.

However, this is where the niceness ends. Staff were very rude and abrupt at any time which we had the misfortune to speaking to them, they seemed much more interested in catering to the two stag parties that were going on in the hotel. Which brings me to a whole new set of problems. I was young once, and I know that a stag party is an enjoyable time for the groom and his party, but when you have two in the same hotel at the same time, it becomes a nightmare! My wife and I did not get one decent nights sleep due to the constant noise, and arguments. Nothing says good morning like a 20 something man passed out outside your doorway covered in vomit.

The rooms were small and uncomfortable. Mattresses being an inch thick, if that. Sheets smelt of smoke (although it's a non smoking hotel), shower wouldn't work and the electrics were a health hazard! Be very careful unplugging your adapters, as you'll find that they may spark and fizz at you.

Food in the joining restaurant was pathetic, and I would deeply encourage finding somewhere to eat out in town rather than through the restaurant.

Oh, and you had lovely men about 50-60 coming in every day to use the one PC for internet access to view social websites of young women, who would then tell you to be quiet if you spoke above a whisper. I really wish I was making this up!

I had very high hopes of having a nice cultural escape to Tallinn, but felt utterly let down by the hotel. Although it is only 2 stars, I had heard good reviews from a couple who stayed a few years back. Tallinn itself is a lovely place to visit, and I deeply encourage people to give it a go if they can, just avoid this hotel!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Economy Hotell? Share your experiences!