“Excellent hotel with few minuses (long review)” 4 of 5 stars

Baltic Hotel Imperial
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nunne 14, Tallinn 10133, Estonia   |
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
Tampere, Finland
“Excellent hotel with few minuses (long review)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

So I was in BHI with my boyfriend. We both are a bit over 20 years old.

The hotel is pretty hard to find the first few times, but the small alleys are one of the places charms. I think the location is perfect. It's surprisingly close to the centre. We were out one night and found our way back easily even a bit drunk.

The hotel gave me a A+ first impression. The receptionist was friendly compared to Estonian people in general. There was a lovely Christmas tree in the lobby and a nicely dressed cleaning lady vacuuming the carpet. By nicely dressed I mean cute uniform, not some over-sized t-shirt and jeans. (It's the little things!)

We left our car in the parking area. It was smaller than we thought (space for max 3 cars), but it didn't matter since there were no other cars. Not sure how it works in busier seasons. Parking was 15e/day.

Our room was 302. At first, I didn't like the room. It seemed really small and it smelled like cat pee. It wasn't super pungent, but it was there. We didn't smell it after few hours, tough. We took a nap and I fell in love with the bed, it was probably the most comfortable bed ever. The sheets and everything. I miss you, bed! Second glimpse of the room was completely different. It was clean, beautiful and pretty high class. Really cute and romantic. Maybe I was just tired when we got there.

I was very pleased with the breakfast.

I love cheeses so we had to try the Cheese restaurant. It was actually one of the main reasons why we booked Hotel Imperial! The atmosphere there is very warm and it's a well decorated place. Our waiter seemed really kind, but insecure. We asked what cheeses were in the cheese plate we ordered, and he didn't know! He said very embarrassed that they were different cheeses. Ok, thank you for that? We expected the waiter to have some knowledge of cheeses since he worked in a cheese restaurant. The food on the other hand was incredible. My boyfriend had a beef steak and I had the duck. The waiter didn't ask how would my boyfriend wanted his steak. The steak (it was cooked medium), though, was easily the best one I had tasted. The duck was also so good. I'm sorry I don't know any good words to describe the food, but it really was excellent.

All in all, I was really pleased with the Hotel. We might visit it again next year. :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Turku, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Very quite little hotel situated just behind the main square.
Great location. Easy to go everywhere in old town.
Lovely breakfast with all you need served in the room of medieval knights.
Cosy room with space enough and very clean.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a long weekend break in Tallinn, staying at the Baltic Imperial. The hotel is well located for a visit to the city, being right by the old part and close to the main attractions. We stayed with a group of friends and all of us enjoyed our stay at the hotel and the town.
The hotel was clean and comfortable, the staff were all friendly and very helpful. We had bed and breakfast, the breakfast was good with plenty of choice from a buffet style, enough to set you up for a day in town. All the rooms for our group (all double rooms) were a good size, clean and comfortable. Overall the hotel was very good value for money. I would return again and have already recommended it to a friend.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is ideally located for exploring the old city of Tallinn. Within a couple of minutes walking your are in the main square of the old town, and from there all areas of the old city are easily accessed. The railway station is also within walking distance and the harbour for the Baltic Sea ferries is a short taxi ride away.

The room was small, but comfortable and very clean.

The staff are extremely friendly and were very welcoming and helpful for the entire length of our stay.

The menu choice in the restaurant is not overly inspiring, and a lot of the food is fried, but it is well cooked and beautifully presented.

Breakfast is reasonable, with a good choice of cold foods, but the choice of hot food is somewhat lacking.

The decor of the hotel is lovely and sympathetic to its surroundings and to the atmosphere of the old city.

The price of the room was very reasonable and we got excellent value for money.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel is beautiful and truly recommended. You can stay there for several days if you want because it is very close to the main attractions in Tallinn. Breakfast was avarage, not to many varieties but enough but I didn't have to much time to get attention on details because it was a business trip and I couldn't truly "enjoy" the breakfast. Bathrobe and towels were really nice. It was quiet and I could sleep really well. Minibar was awesome. there was a very nice desk for those who are -like me- inopportunate to work during their trip. There are very good restaurants on the same street.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sant'Eusanio del Sangro, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Nice and great Hotel all was ok,i had problem with wi-fi but they well resolved,single room was not to big,but confortly,and clean...next time in Tallinn think going again in this hotel,really near to the old town,to the baltijaam,and to all attraction in Tallinn

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Barcelona, Catalonia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This beautiful and centrical small hotel has two main problems: one is the "beer garden" situated just in front, offering live rock concerts every day from 19h to 23h. The second is the the low temperature inside the room during the night (when outside is already yet 9ºC). The rooms are small, and the breakfast sufficient but not what you expect after paying 85 euros every night.
The boys at the reception where nice to offer me a radiator but the damage was already done: i've got a cold.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in the shade and in front of the beer garden