“Expensive, cold at night, noisy until 23h” 2 of 5 stars

Baltic Hotel Imperial
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nunne 14, Tallinn 10133, Estonia   |
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
Barcelona, Catalonia
“Expensive, cold at night, noisy until 23h”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This beautiful and centrical small hotel has two main problems: one is the "beer garden" situated just in front, offering live rock concerts every day from 19h to 23h. The second is the the low temperature inside the room during the night (when outside is already yet 9ºC). The rooms are small, and the breakfast sufficient but not what you expect after paying 85 euros every night.
The boys at the reception where nice to offer me a radiator but the damage was already done: i've got a cold.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in the shade and in front of the beer garden
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I just returned from my third business trip to Tallinn in the past year, and I have stayed at Baltic Hotel Imperial each time (once in May, once in January and once in August). I have found all of the staff to be at the very least gracious, and some of the staff are super friendly. My first time in town, I spent several hours late a night chatting with the night clerk about his life. Jevgenia (the first staff person I encountered on my first trip to Tallinn) was so friendly that I missed her this summer as her vacation coincided with my stay. I have always been able to count on the staff for making dinner reservations, wake-up calls and general information about how to get around town. I find them less knowledgeable about suggestions for tourist activities, on the other hand, I had little time for tourism as these trips are business trips. The hotel is built into the wall of the city and it has tons of character. Each room is different -- some are on the small size, but the front desk has always been accommodating about changing to a different room, if I have a problem with what is first offered. Internet access was sometimes an issue on my first visit, but I have had no problems on subsequent visits, other than occasionally needing to sign off and on again. Moreover, the first year when I did not have my own laptop, the staff arranged for a hotel lap-top to be available for my exclusive use from 9:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m. (precisely the hours that I needed). I was impressed with their going the extra mile. The breakfast buffet is wonderful. There are so many options, from cheeses to meats to salads to breads to sweets to smoked salmon and many other types of fish. You can easily fill up at breakfast and skip lunch. Although breakfast is supposed to end by 10:00, I arrived late one weekend morning when I slept in. The staff was quietly eating their own breakfast at that point, but let me fill up a huge plate as they hadn't yet cleared the tables. When I had to leave at 5:00 a.m. for an early plane, the front desk offered to prepare a breakfast doggie bag for me, and when I turned that down, they insisted on making coffee for me. The location of the hotel is ideal -- just at the edge of the old town, so that I can get everywhere I need to be, without the tourist hubbub. The location is generally extremely peaceful. This summer, however, the school across the street from the hotel got permission to allow a band to play each evening for two weeks in August from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. This was not a problem for me (even though I was on the side of the street by the school) because I don't go to bed early. If this would be an issue with you, I would make sure that if you go during the first two weeks in August that you book a room that opens on to the courtyard. I can't speak to the quality of the air conditioning because the weather was quite cool in both May and August and we did not need air conditioning at all. Heating was ample in both January and May (and I needed it in May). I have not stayed elsewhere in Tallinn so I can't compare how the Baltic Imperial ranks against other accommodations, but for me, Baltic Imperial will always be my Tallinn home away from home.

Room Tip: Rooms on the courtyard are quieter than on the street sides, especially in August. Rooms vary by si...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Wrentham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The hotel is superbly positioned for reaching the top town and is central to the lower town.Our room was tiny but adequate. The windows were cheap and opening them was very dangerous as you had to kneel on the bed! The staff were fine, friendly smiley and open.

Room Tip: There are only 32 bedrooms and the bigger ones had baths in the room itself!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
nr Inverness
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The man who checked us in was efficient and business like, but not particularly welcoming. The man at the reception desk the following morning was the rudest person I have ever met and very contemptuous, not just in the hospital business but anywhere, in ordinary life, business...

It was so hot in our room we had to have the window open. And then it was noisy outside until quite early in the morning with youths

Weekend breakfast didn't have nearly as much variety of fish, meat, cheese and even breads as the weekday. If I had only had breakfast Saturday and Sunday I would not have been disappointed though, it is only let down by comparison the weekday breakfast

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Uttoxeter, Staffordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

If it was for only the Hotel position and the good quality breakfast, I would have given this Hotel a maximum grading of 'excellent'. The Hotel is within a 5 minute walk of the Old Town Square and right opposite Toompea. However the Hotel does not do what it says on the tin- air conditioning? What air conditioning? True that the public rooms and corridors felt cooler but this did not extend to my room on the second floor. I had to have the windows open all the time which was not too bad on a cool July evening in Tallinn but what that meant was that all sorts of animals with wings and fangs could come in and take a bite out of me and they did!!

Reception staff were hit and miss. The young man who checked me in at 1am was excellent but during the day, the staff were not so good. I had cause to complain that the wi-fi in my room was not working. The chap on reception took a look at his mobile phone and told me that it was working. I later complained again that it might well be working at reception but certainly not on floor 2. The receptionist then said that he would re-boot the router on the second floor and all was well thereafter.

I eat and drank in the Imperial bar on the first night and this was well appointed. However, I was the only person in the bar and there was one server who seemed to be covering the outside terrace, the bar and the restaurant and so service was slow- Maybe this was the reason that I was the only customer?

If I ever go back to Tallinn, I will look for a different Hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Surrey, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

A 3 night stay in July. Good points - location, right on edge of Old Town and centre les than 10 minute walk. Room was a decent size & not badly decorated and clean. Receptionists helpful and friendly. Poor points - smell of sewage in bathroom, breakfast - poor quality, some odd things (carrot and cauliflower next to bacon and sausages). Lack of air. It does not have air con apart from a central vent that did not seem to be blowing out anything meaningful. Noise, having to have window open meant noise from street and pub garden with live music other side of side road meant it was noisy. This is now a tired hotel that needs updating and needs to improve the quality in some areas. If I was going to tallin again, would look for somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

My parents and I stayed at this Hotel in July 2012 and, regrettably, we did not leave a review on Trip Advisor. Our stay, at this time, was nothing short of 'perfect' and when planning another trip to Tallinn our rooms were booked at the Imperial before our flights!

Yes, my expectations were high but we found the staff, service and amenities even better than last year! Our numbers increased to 8 this year (3 rooms) and between us nothing could be faulted. Comments from our group included 'Friendly staff', 'Great food', 'Perfect location' and 'We will be back!'

I did witness another quest complaining about the early morning street noise, but the staff handled the complaint in a very professional manner. On the matter of street noise, this may be compounded by the need to sleep with the windows open on warmer nights in order to offset the limited room ventilation from time to time.

Yes, we will be back!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Baltic Hotel Imperial? Share your experiences!