“Beautiful hotel, with cosy rooms and lovely staff” 5 of 5 stars

Three Sisters Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pikk 71 and Tolli 2, Tallinn 10146, Estonia   |
Ranked #10 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
London
“Beautiful hotel, with cosy rooms and lovely staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

We spent a weekend break in Tallinn and stayed at the Three Sisters.

I hotel was very pretty and quaint. The room was romantic and cosy.

The staff was ever so helpful and very accomodating to our requests.

We are definitely going back there.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Finnish first
Espoo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

This was our second stay at the lovely Three Sisters hotel together with my wife within the past 3 months. We have been very satisfied both times. The hotel and its rooms are very romantic and the personnell is very pleasant and helpful - very much including the reception. The breakfast buffet and menu are very nice; the selection is not extensive but the quality is quite high. The only slight minus is that the hotel rooms are not very "noise-proof". Sounds from adjoining rooms may sometimes be a bit disturbing. But overall the Three Sisters can be warmly recommended, particularly for a romantic get-away.

• Liked — Friendly staff and excellent breakfast on top of romantic atmosphere
  • Disliked — Room heating was too high
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Planeet Maa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

The Three Sisters is currently offering an anniversary menu worth your attention if you're in the neighborhood of Tallinn. From the very start, the amuse-bouche of duck is outstanding. Everything gets better as it progresses with special hurrahs awarded to the diabolically good tuna and mushroom consommé. It's a very reasonably priced prix fixe experience with excellent paired wines.

There are a lot of restaurants in Tallinn who attempt to do haute cuisine, but only a handful are worth your time. This menu is worth a detour.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Birkerod, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

I stayed in the Three Sisters Hotel for a pro-longed weekend in end of October 2008. I have been in Tallinn several times before and have also stayed in the Three Sisters Hotel on a few occassions before.
Once again, I was possitively surprised with the service level and standard of this hotel. In a city that is a landmark of medieval Europe, it is spectacular to have an opportunity to spend a long weekend in modern five stay hotel in true medieval surroundings. From entering the hotel with the fire place and old wodden staircase to unpacking in a beautifully decored room (I would typically call this a suite, but the hotel called it a superior room) with lots of atmosphere and cosiness.
Now, when I'm on a weekend holiday, I normally prefer to get out and experience the city. However, The Three Sisters Hotel is one of the few hotels where I could spend a little extra time.
The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The hotel restaurant serves a delicious breakfast in fantastic surroundings.
Throuhgout, my professional career, I have travelled app. 100 days per year - rarely felt a hotel to be a differentiator for my stay. However, the hotel contributed to make my weekend a great experience.
I have definitely not had my last stay with the Three Sisters Hotel.

• Liked — Service and surroundings
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Helsingborg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

I had a business meeting in Tallinn and asked my wife to join me and spend a romantic weekend in Tallinn. I decided not to stay at Scandic or SAS Radisson as usual (I’m Scandinavian) but instead at the Three Sisters Hotel. That was a terrible mistake. This is not by any means a five star hotel. I have stayed at four and five stars hotels both as a tourist and in my profession. This hotel is nowhere near those hotels in standard. Not even compared with three stars hotels. Perhaps only two stars can are better as benchmarks. Nice design but sometimes dirty and the worst service you can imagine. The pictures looked nice and for a romantic weekend it all seemed to be perfect. But I should have been warned by some bad reviews and the fact I got a room at much less than half of the rack rate.
I arrived a day before my wife and checked in rather after a late flight from Riga. The check in process was okay but strangely I got glass of orange juice. I expect that when checking in at hotels in warmer climate but not in October in a northern country. A glass of wine would have been more appropriate. But that as not big deal. The girl behind the desk and the porter seemed to be just kids. In a five star hotel the staff shall not smell from old sweat. The porter smelled so badly that I had to open the window after he had left my room after leaving my bags.
I wanted something to eat and found the room service menu but decided to tour the hotel instead. The restaurant, with only five or six tables, was occupied by only two couples and looked to romantic for a late snack. So I asked for the room service menu. Of course they first gave med the full menu without he the simpler dishes in the room service menu because now I was live in the restaurant not in my room. But they fixed it.
On my way back to the room I grabbed a DVD and two CD albums. Nice amenity. Room service food, some nice music and a movie is not a bad way to end the day. The bad smelling porter brought my snack. I opened the DVD sleeve and found it empty. I put in a CD and tried to get music out in the room. No success. Tried again and again. There where three remote controls. One for light system that I had to figure out myself how it worked. One remote for the TV and one for DVD player. I called the desk and the bad smelling guy returned. (I covered my food). He tried different settings for a while but I soon realised he had no clue what to do or which buttons to press. Than I realised that the remote for the DVD was for another TV set not in this room. I tried to tell him this but he continued press buttons without any success. I only wanted him, and the smell, out of the room.
He left and told me I could change to another room or wait for the IT expert that would come the next day. I asked if we could stay all three nights in the new room. He didn’t know but returned after a while and told wee could.
In the new room the turning on the light system was a gamble. But I could listen to soft music and have rest of my room service meal. But without wine. Even by any standard 28 € for a quarter bottle of standard wine is expensive. But on the other hand wine is extremely expensive I Estonia.
The first morning I was alone and only had a very quick breakfast before meeting my clients. But there was one strange thing about the shower that puzzled me. It took more than ten minutes to get warm water. Okay it was on the second floor but it was another floor above me. My real concern was more about no to get the Legionella bacteria that really likes to shower water that is not hot enough. (The next morning the water was hot we woke probably up later than the guests above us) but the third morning it was cold again the first ten minutes.
In the evening my wife arrived and when she saw the very beautiful room she also pointed out that that it was not very clean. The door to toilet had big stains, not mine, and some of the interior fittings where loose and the floor was not clean everywhere. Okay for a two star hotel but not for a three star, or four star and certainly not for five star. But the design was nice. And The Brandenburg concert CD played on the TV. There was one loudspeaker in room but only in the bathroom and not for music. So the speakers in the TV set had to do.
We met the business clients for dinner in the evening and when we returned we went to the wine bar. A huge list of wines. I picked one the more than twenty they sold per glass or the thousands sold per bottle. I wondered how they could keep the open wines fresh with so few guests and such a big offer of wines. But we found out. (I couldn’t see this high tech wine bar that keeps the wine from the air even when the bottle is opened) They had a story ready if the customer should ask for one of the probably very few wine bottles that was open. She told us that precisely the wine we asked for, of all thousands on offer, had been consumed by all the guests in the restaurant that night. I could be sold out. Surprisingly it wasn’t.
We couldn’t turn out the bedside lights without stepping out of the bed and getting across the room. I realized that even this remote was malfunction and it was not me that was technical ignorant.
The in-room information binder told us the breakfast was served as late as noon. At 10 we went down to the breakfast room but realised that there where only five tables set for more than twenty rooms. And all tables where occupied. They asked us to wait in the lobby and we waited. We where not offered anything like coffee or orange juice while waiting. In a five star hotel?
As guests left the breakfast room we assumed the staff was preparing a table for us. How wrong we where. After a 10-15 minutes we want back to the breakfast room only two find two empty tables with everything still there left by the previous occupants. We sat down at one table. The staff ignored us. The stocked a cup board with some stuff I couldn’t see instead. I went out into the serving room and tried to get some attention. Please clear the table I tried to ask them. While waiting at our table for some kind of reaction I looked around and saw there where now glasses for the juices, but on the other hand there where no sekt for sekt glasses, the fruit salad was gone, the salmon likewise and so on. No one cared. They didn’t clear our table completely or give us everything we needed during our entire breakfast. I had do go out in the serving room and ask for coffee and the next time for plates, the third time for the breakfast menu. My wife ordered a boiled egg. I think the eggs are finished was the answer. (the strange thing was that they had pancakes, omelettes, scrambled eggs on offer. Without eggs?) On the table where in fact quail eggs, very over cooked, but still eggs. But no regular hen eggs. To our surprise they managed to find the last egg for that day. It was, at this time, still more than an hour left of the opening time. How hard can it be to get some more eggs in the middle of a city. Or do they have their own hens and they were on strike? We tried to get napkins without success but after some light mental violence we got fruit salad. We started to laugh because compared with this amateurish run hotel the staff at Fawlty Towers would have done a much better job.
We decided, as planned, not to have dinner in the hotel for obvious reasons. The next morning we were prepared to fight our get breakfast. There was a table with everything we needed on it. But no glasses for the fruit juices next to the fruit juice. I guess it’s a way of saving on cost of fruit juice. On the other hand when drinking the so called juice the previous days it tasted water polluted. Another way of saving money I guess.
My wife ordered pancakes and I ordered eggs and bacon. We don’t have egg and bacon was the answer. Yes they had eggs (surprise) and they had bacon but not together on the same plate. I guess it is a very strange dish for breakfast. But more strange than quail eggs? I raised my voice a little bit and the waitress disappeared. Forever we guessed. But to our surprise she return 5 minutes later but not with one plate of pancakes and on plate with bacon and eggs. No we got each on plate with two eggs and nothing more. Now we started to laugh again.
This is an example of a hotel concept that was very well planed. Could have been nice. But there are only amateurs running the hotel. A five star hotel should have service matching the stars. I guess the hotel itself decides how many stars they want to say they have. And five star sounded especially if you can charge five star prices. A hotel concept consist not only interior design or a list of amenities like CD albums or cooked breakfast. (If they can’t get those to work it is much better never offer it).
The management must be blind or non-existent. Or probably sitting in the Caribbean laughing at us paying guests. It is a five star design with a two star (then I’m kind) hotel inside. These are only a few things but they are all symptoms of a badly managed hotel. The prices they charge, even discounted, are no way near what you get.
The trademark of a five star hotel is that they get all he details right. They understand your need even before you do and they take care of those needs in a discreet and professional way. And the rooms are clean and interior fitting are not loose.
This is one hotel that deserves another management. And some repair work and a new shower, more bacterially safe, system. Hope fully before some gets seriously ill. A bankruptcy and new professional owners would do it. I like Tallinn and Estonia both as a professional and as a tourist but I will never ever return to this hotel until the previous owners are gone. When checking out the girl asked the standard question and when I told her that this was the worst service I have experienced in a long time she didn’t react very much. She didn’t listen. Why should she. I guess the management doesn’t listen the guests either.

• Liked — The design of the hotel.
  • Disliked — The bad service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
HotelierTallinn, General Manager at Three Sisters Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2008
Dear Mr Anders Gustav:
Thank you for your detailed comments about your recent stay at the Three Sisters. I certainly regret that your experience was not a positive one. We take guest feedback very seriously, because it is the single most useful tool for improving our hotel and its service.
Although it is our goal to ensure a perfect stay for every guest every night, we sometimes fall short. Sometimes, there are circumstances beyond our control, and occasionally we simply fail—simple human error. In your case, I can only apologize and take full responsibility for your dissatisfaction. In fairness to you, I have addressed each of your complaints in a separate letter sent via email. You will find that I agree with some (but not all) of your complaints and have proposed what I hope you’ll consider an adequate solution.
What I most regret about the situation is that you chose not to contact me during your stay. Not only is contacting the manager standard practice in the quality of hotels where you’ve indicated you stay, but I extended this invitation in my welcome letter which you received upon check in. I find it a bit unfair to find such a negative review on TripAdvisor when I was never given a chance to rectify things. Had you brought these things to my attention and had we still failed, your review would certainly be justified. However, to receive such a review without ever a chance to address a guest’s complaints while he was a guest in the hotel, I feel somehow blindsided. I hope you are able to understand my sentiment.
Again, I apologize for and regret the unfortunate aspects of your stay. I only wish that you had complained in person so that I might have had the opportunity to set things right. I hope you’ll do that during future stays, regardless of which hotel you happen to choose.

Michael J. J. Stenner
Three Sisters Hotel
musicben
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

Staying here you are reminded that you follow in the footsteps of famous guests like Queen Elizabeth and some Rock Bands.
Given the level of service and comfort I found the prices very reasonable. I paid a little extra to have a very large 2 level room/suite at the top of the buildings and was pleasantly surprised to find so many original features.
I have also stayed at the Schlossle and would say that this is a superior place although that is also good.
The wine bar and restaurant are both wonderfully designed and also good value [Internationally]

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

This hotel is situated right by Fat Margaret's Tower at the quiet edge of the Old Town but it is still only a 5 minute walk to the main square - perfect.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
We stayed in a deluxe room which was very nice and comfortable.
The mini bar was not overly expensive except for the wine but that seems to be the case all over Tallinn.
The one time we called house keeping they came to us very quickly.
We did not eat there except for breakfast but I can thoroughly recommend that. Everything we ordered was cooked to perfection and tasted wonderful.
My only concern would be if the hotel is actually good value for money but overall an extremely enjoyble stay.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Three Sisters Hotel? Share your experiences!