“Excellent value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn

You added Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn to your Saves list
Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Endla 23, Tallinn 10122, Estonia (Formerly Uniquestay Mihkli Hotel)   |
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
Staffordshire
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in December 2012 with a small group of friends. To our surprise we had been upgraded to a suite. It was warm and comfortable and only a ten minute walk from the orthodox catherdral and the old town. The staff were helpful and friendly. The taxi service back to the airport was quick and cheap. I recommend this as a good class hotel at a budget price.

Room Tip: Try for a suite if you can
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have just returned from a weekend in Tallinn having stayed at the Kreutzwald hotel for 3 nights! Firstly I must say that the hotel & staff were extremely accomodating! During our stay it was my boyfriends 21st birthday and so I emailed ahead to see if there was anything special the hotel could do for this! They upgraded us from a standard double room to a ZEN room for no extra charge which was fantastic! The room was warm (very important), spacious and the beds were extremely comfy. The only criticism I have for the room itself was that our double bed was actually two singles pushed together and our duvets were seperate. However we cannot really complain considering we had been upgraded to this room for the special occassion! The hotel is very clean and modern with everything you would need during your stay. We didn't have much interaction with staff except for one receptionist who was very chatty & helpful. The breakfast was very good, plenty of choice and the buffet was refilled frequently, even later on in the morning when it was nearing 10am (end of breakfast). One thing I would say is that the hotel does not have alot of atmosphere; although this may have been due to the timing of our stay when it is low season to visit Tallinn. Also the hotel is fairly corporate & characterless, there was nothing traditional or kitsch about it. The location is very good, a very direct and easy 10-15 minute walk to the old town. If you want a good value, clean & warm hotel in Tallinn then this is the place. However if you wanted to stay somewhere with an Estonian feel to it or somewhere with a lot of character then I would suggest staying at a different hotel. Overall very pleased with the service and accommodation we received for the price we paid.

Room Tip: We stayed in 416 which was on the quieter side of the hotel; great for a decent nights sleep.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Badajoz, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights.
It takes 20 minutes walking to downtown more or less.
The staff was really really really friendly!! There wasn't a second in which the staff from the front desk weren't smiling! Anything that i needed was attended and solved, even things I though were too late to solve it.
I had breakfast there and the variety was good. I really enjoyed it.
The rooms were really clean and there was no noise.
The wifi was good even for skype in the whole hotel.
Beds were just ok...ive been in hotels with much better beds. They werent unconfortable but they could be better... and i honestly didnt like the pillows.
I think that it is a good place to go attending to the quality-price ratio.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mechelen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

There is nothing wrong with this hotel. The people are exceptionally friendly and helpful (far better than the Tallinn standard), the rooms are nice and warm, the breakfast is good, our dog was very welcome, there was a minibar and parking for the car and the price is absolutely right. But over the years we stayed in a couple hotels in Tallinn, and thus I must say there a better alternatives. It only is about a 15-20 minute walk to the old town square, there is a bus stop closeby and the taxi ride is only about 5 euros, but the walk is not the prettiest compared to other hotels locations.
Due to the stairs to get into the hotel (I could not find an elevator from the street side) we do not recommend this hotel to people with e.g. a wheelchair. I did see a ramp at the side of the building though and an elevator inside next to the reception.

Room Tip: If there is a party in the restaurant, do ask for a room on either a higher floor or on the other si...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed here for nine nights over winter, where temperatures dropped to a lovely -24c. Inside the room you would never know that, so efficient is the heating. That does lead to things getting a little stuffy, but opening a window provides a quick blast of cold air to clear things out.

The staff were all friendly, assisting where possible but not disturbing us without any reason. Parking around the rear of the hotel is tight, especially if you’ve got a Volkswagen Touareg that you’ve rented, but it all fits eventually. There’s not much parking though, so if there’s an event on or it’s a busy period you may be out of luck.

It’s a 15 minute walk to the old city centre, mostly pleasant. The hotel is on quite a busy road though, so be careful of the ice and snow and keep your distance from the pavement edge.

The rooms were excellent. It was all very basic, but in a very comfortable minimalist way. The ‘Zen’ bathroom consisted of a nice bath with a couple of LED lights; nice, but perhaps not quite ‘zen’. There were slippers provided, which was nice, as well as a television with English channels.

Breakfast was good, with plenty of options, certainly enough to set you up for the day.

There’s plenty of eating options in Tallinn, but do take one evening to try the Brazilian place in the basement. A meat sampler option is available which will fill up even the hungriest of guests, and there’s a great vibe to the place.

Overall a good hotel with good service, rooms and food. Recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

I would not give 4 star to this hotel. If you ever lived in 4 stars in Germany, you would agree with me. In general, everything is ok. The rooms are clean. I would not recommend to take rooms facing the main street, as it is noisy from traffic. Initially, they put me in such a room, but i asked to change it. And they did. That's why i liked the service. Breakfast in the restaurant was ok. Fresh food, not very wide assortment. Standard to scandinavian hotels. The hotel has a fenced parking for 8 euros a day. It is equipped with free wifi. On the negative side, i would mention that the hotel is quite remote from the old town (10-15 minutes by foot).

• Stayed January 2013
uniquehotels, Member of the Board at Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thanks very much for your review and the positve comments and points for improvement.

I would like to point out only a very small number of hotels in Tallinn are very near the old town ie 5 mins or less away, We are a max 10 min walk away like most of the hotels including the large international hotels , but in an area between Tallinns largest shopping Mall (300 metres) and the National Library (200m) and compared to the old town hotel in a nice quiet location so sleeping is possible. Any road noise although not a problem for most guests is only during parts of the day (it is not a major road) Also there is a difference in price of around 15 to 20 euros between old town located hotels and the Kreutzwald.
We have taken on board the comments from recent reviews and we are next week commencing the following upgrades and investments.
Installing the latest flat screen tvs to all standard rooms which will all recieve a cosmetic refurb to make them more cosy in feel. The restaurant it to be rebranded to an Estonian and International cuisine restaurant which will use ingrediants sourced from our very succesfull Vihula Manor property which has its own eco farm and local farmers. The spa will be enlarged and completely renovated to feature a larger plunge pool and steam sauna and Finnish sauna.
Having also spent a lot of time in German hotels i would not agree totally with your comparison. The best rating system is for example booking dot com which categorises, irrespective of area and we achieve a rating of 8.0 which is better or equivalent to a lot of 4 star hotels in Germany.

Thanks for the comments re the service , we do take this very seriously and strive to improve. Our investments over the next 2 months will only improve the experience of our guests whilst still providing value for money.
London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I flew in a day and a half late due to my flight being cancelled in Moscow and me not having a visa to remain in Russia, I was worried the hotel would cancel the whole booking so emailed them several times. I eventually got a brief note to say the booking would be honoured. There are a lot of taxis waiting outside, please read my review on Tallinn taxis for essential info.
The hotel is about a 20 minute taxi ride on the edge of a main road. There's nothing around except a Chinese restaurant where the food is good!
Check in was pretty easy but not a lot of discussion or chat. My room was on the first floor. It was a single about the size of a big walk in wardrobe. The bed looked like it was really uncomfortable but it was fine. There was a clean bathroom. There was nothing WOW or remarkable about this place, I got what I paid for and nothing more or less so no surprises. Breakfast was good with plenty to choose from. I had a glass of wine in the Brazilian restaurant which cost Euro8.95 which was a slight joke. No wonder the restaurant was almost empty. Somehow with this hotel I felt like everyone there were going through the motions with not a great deal of passion for what they were doing. Someone needs to breath a bit of enthusiasm into the place and it would be quite good. In saying that I would stay again based on price, location and the fact there will be no surprises negative or positive.

Room Tip: Tue lift is very slow so ask for a room on 2nd floor. Don't have a wine in the restaurant as the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
uniquehotels, Member of the Board at Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Hello, Thanks so much for your review and the positive comments. I would ike to point out however soem points for the sake of clarity. Our house wine by the glass is 4.25 euros , I can only assume you ordered a large wine which is double the price and double the amount ? Please let me know if this was not the case.
The prices are compared to other bars and restaurants , very competitive. Re the location , it is under a 10 minute walk from the old town (see numerous other reviews) It is impossible that a taxi took 20 minutes , it is a journey of 5 mins or less , unless they took you on a very scenic route.
re the location of the hotel we are next to the largest shopping mall in the Tallinn centre , the Kristiine centre , with restaurants bars , endless shops (even a marks and spencers) night clubs etc etc , it is a 300 metre walk away, it is also not in the old town which is very noisy and quite difficult to sleep.

I am sorry the single room was considered small, they are normal single room size . The hotel was 100 % full and you actually booked a single room , normally we upgrade to a double room if we have the rooms available , they are the last rooms we sell and we only have 4 of them.
You mention you would like to return , please let me know and I will make sure your stay is a pleasant one.

Been to Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn? Share your experiences!