“Lots of historic charm in heart of Old Town Tallinn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Petersbourg Hotel

You added St. Petersbourg Hotel to your Saves list
St. Petersbourg Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rataskaevu 7 | Tallinn Old Town, Tallinn 10123, Estonia   |
Ranked #5 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Lots of historic charm in heart of Old Town Tallinn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We enjoyed our two-night stay at this hotel, which has a great location steps away from the main square in Old Town. Our room in this historic hotel was completely modern. It was clean and comfortable -- complete with a turn-down service that included water and candy. The staff was extremely helpful. The hot and cold breakfast was good, too!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Finnish first
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

First of all the location: can't be beat. Right in the middle of the old town, 2 minute walk to the main Town Hall Square - nowhere is more than a 5 or 10 min walk. And despite all that it's very quiet.
The room was very stylish and also very spacious, the bathroom in particular was huge by most hotel standards. The staff were very friendly and attentive. It felt like the hotel was making a really big effort to give you a luxury hotel with the combination of excellent customer service from staff through to all the small details which make a difference... housekeeping turning back your bed, bottles of water, fluffy bath robes etc.
Breakfast was also excellent.
If I was to pick out a couple of minor negatives (and they really are small nit picks) I'd say the reception is a little tired/not quite as stylish as the rooms. and while I approve their green credentials and energy saving light bulbs it did make the room a bit dark, especially as we had a room with only a small window.
Would I stay there again? Yes.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Our deluxe room on the third floor was spacious and nicely furnished, with a very comfortable king bed. Bathroom was large and a good range of bathroom toiletries were available. We found the Hotel staff to be friendly and always helpful and willing to assist. A porter assisted with carrying baggage to the room, as there was no lift due to requirements for preservation of the heritage building (understandable). However I would be concerned about staying at this Hotel if you have a physical disability or are elderly and have trouble climbing stairs.
Noise from the local beer house and night club into the early hours of the morning means you have no alternative but to close all of your windows at night. In our room we found the double glazing did a good job of blocking most of the noise. However the Hotel seemed to turn off the room ventilation or air conditioning every night at about 10pm. This meant the room became stuffy on warm nights.
We had dinner at the Estonian restaurant in the basement and enjoyed great food and service. Breakfast was excellent with a range of freshly prepared dishes available to order plus the usual fresh pastries and other continental breakfast items.
Overall we had a very enjoyable and comfortable stay at this Hotel and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Hotel entrance side are furthest from the noisy beer house
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We got a free upgrading to a junior suite and were very pleased with the big well equipped room. The TV was larger than ever, morning gown and slippers etc. The breakfast buffet in the adjacent restaurant was very good with a fair range of vegetables, fish, cheese, youghurt and what not. Hot complements could be ordered such as omelettes and egg/bacon. The reception was extremely helpful with a long description of all the amenities. So far so good.
Now to the negative: cleaning of the room was not ready by 2 pm all days, but more important the bar was not open for service in the evening (around 9 pm) with the explanation that the single girl working there was fully occupied with ca 6 people sitting at tables in the restaurant and did not have time to serve us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Great hotel and location rooms big and spacious very clean staff very friendly and helpful. overall a great place to explore tallin. The hotel bar and restaurant were lovely and the service was brilliant. We loved this city and the hotel would go back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My worst experience in any hotel for many years! The management should be utterly ashamed! After reading several excellent reviews, I was not only hugely disappointed with my room, the attitude of the staff made me extremely angry.

Beware! Make sure you do not have the misfortune to book one of this hotel’s eight “superior doubles”. These rooms are nothing like the “superior” rooms illustrated on its website. Not only is the sleeping part of room 202 tiny, it is desperately narrow, measuring approx. 2.2m x 5m – smaller even than the bathroom! The less-than queen-size bed is squeezed into a corner. There are no bedside lights for reading and no bedside tables – both absolute essentials as far as I am concerned. If two people were actually trying to sleep and the one nearest the wall had to get up for any reason, they would wake the other when clambering over them! Absolutely ridiculous for this calibre of hotel!

Service has been mentioned by other reviewers. Sadly I found exactly the opposite. When I checked in for two nights on a Sunday afternoon, the young receptionist exuded zero charm. Whilst I was happy enough to carry my two large bags to the second floor as the hotel has no lift, I was surprised there was no porter or bellboy around. The young lady encouraged me to make use of the restaurant. After a long walk around town, I returned and got ready for dinner. The same lady then informed me the restaurant was closed on Sundays, adding I should make use of it the following evening!

This lady was still on duty around 10:00pm when I went down to request a small table so that at least I could keep a glass of water by the bedside for medication, a notepad and my phone. I was firmly told none was available. She would request one the following morning. I explained this was not satisfactory. Once again I was told – no table! No suggestion that perhaps my room might be changed or some other solution found. I then stated that, despite my having pre-paid the room directly with the hotel, I would check-out immediately and move to an acceptable hotel. At that point, she said she would see what she could do. Two minutes later, for the first time with a smile, she brought a hard wooden chair for use as a table!

The following day I raised these issues with a member of the management. It seems they are perfectly well aware that my type of room is wholly substandard. I was informed it was a single room. Yet, he could not explain why the receptionist had told me no less than three - yes, three - times it was a double, nor why it was made up for two with two small duvets! He was extremely apologetic and offered a reduction on the cost of a dinner (I declined) or a complimentary transfer to the ferry pier (which I did accept). Yet, on checkout, I was informed I had to pay for the transfer myself, which I did! As far as I am concerned, that was insulting!

The location of this hotel is perfect. But the many negatives far outweighed any positives. I would never dream of staying again!

Room Tip: Just avoid any room that is billed as a "Superior" room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Lindvest, General Manager at St. Petersbourg Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Sir,

First I would like to say thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Hotel St. Petersbourg. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

By reading your e-mail there are now words how deeply sorry I am for the negative stay you experienced in our hotel.

If I may say about the hotel, then it is oldest still functioning hotel in Tallinn which was opened as hotel in 1850. Building itself is even older. This is the reason why all 27 rooms are different in some ways and similar rooms hardly exist. Some of them have smaller bath corner and bigger room or vice a versa. There for we have not created too many different types and descriptions for each channel. Also the reason why some channel information might vary is because of the length of the description which you can enter – otherwise all them are same in everywhere.
Still I fully understand the concern you are telling and I must say I am sad, that the request for a different room after check in was not done. We would have been more than happy to find you a better solution. Also meeting on next day with our Front Office Manager you didn`t accept any solution which was offered to solve the problem.
I am happy to receive any comment always so I will for sure look over the situation and will look the way to create more clear description or separate room type for that room.
Also we will look to see the possibilities to improve the same room to fill all higher standards needed.

Regarding the case with transfer I do not have any words and my great apology for that. It is fully our mistake and should have been taken care of in professional manner and without any problems.
I would be happy to offer a free accommodation for future in our hotel to have a chance to prove different. Please feel free to contact me by finding my e-mail address below.

I am once again terrible sorry on behalf on me and my staff and we truly hope to welcome you back as another chance.

Thank you once again and wish you a best regards from Tallinn!

Tendo Lindvest
E-mail: tendo@schlossle-hotels.com
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Booked a deluxe room and on check in received an upgrade to a junior suite. The room was great and the staff even greater. A very nice buffet breakfast and everything very professional. More than happy with this hotel

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to St. Petersbourg Hotel? Share your experiences!