“Superb hotel with a wonderful spa and water facilities” 4 of 5 stars

Meriton Grand Conference & Spa Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paldiski Mnt. 4, Tallinn 10149, Estonia   |
Ranked #40 of 84 Hotels in Tallinn
Helsinki, Finland
“Superb hotel with a wonderful spa and water facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I have been to this hotel on two occassions. I enjoyed my stay both times. From the moment you step in the hotel, you are greeted with luxury and excellent service. Your baggage will be taken to your hotel room for you while you are being directed there. The rooms are decent-sized (we had standard rooms), around the average you would find in any other hotel in Tallinn (been to several there). The bathroom was very clean, as was the room. Beds were comfortable enough, and there was extra pillows in the room. Only fault with the room was that it was too hot, even though we tried to make it cooler with the climate control in the room. The problem was bigger during my first visit, when it was very hot and sunny outside. Our room was facing a construction site on both times, but as the rooms were on the upper floors, we didn't see or hear the constructions that much.

Our room rate included the use of Aqua and Sauna Center during its opening hours. You get a bracelet at the entrance and you lock your locker with it and you can buy drinks at the pool bar with it. The only little minus with the bracelet was that we didn't know during my first visit that you have to pay the drinks when you exit the Center, that you can't put them under your room bill. I wish it was mentioned before entering, as we had no money or cards with us, as we came down to the Center wearing the bathrobes. This won't be a problem as long as you know it. The prices in the pool bar are quite high compared to Tallinn's price levels. The spa itself is very beautiful, with different choices of pools and jacuzzis. There's a big movie screen that you can follow while you lay in the water on the "benches", but on a sunny day, you won't see much on the screen. There are also different types of saunas, and I found them all very nice. The experience was very calm, and the area has one wall-sized window to one side, which offers a lovely view and sunshine when sunny. During working hours, the spa has plenty of room, but there might be many locals there with kids outside the working hours. They arrange water aerobics there at certain times, and you can join them if you wish, but if you want to use the possible additional equipment, you have to sign up for the event and pay.

We also used the Wellness Spa facilities during both our visits, and we enjoyed thoroughly. I had many treatments (massages, pedicure, manicure, bath, facial) and I was very happy with them and with the staff. The salt room was much less than I expected. It was just a room with salt and you could lay down there on the seats in your bathrobe. After many treatments in row it was a calming experience, but thinking back to it, I wouldn't pay for it now. When waiting for next treatments, you can drink water with cucumber or citrus or have a cup of tea in the waiting lounge and listen to soft music, that was very nice. The outlook of the Spa was wonderful and modern. The prices are higher here than in an average place in Tallinn, but I was happy to pay more for this experience.

The hotel has few restaurants downstairs. We got stuck with the Russian restaurant Balalaika because the food was just too good to miss. Yes, it's a bit on the high side again, but totally worth every cent. We had lovely pieces of cake at the Cafe Mademoiselle. It is lovely to have a piece of cake with a special coffee (or tea) while sitting at the terrace outside, watching the traffic outside on a sunny day. We also bought several drinks from the Tapas Bar. They make their drinks in a very professional and older style. I would highly recommend!

I stayed two nights on both occassions, and I actually didn't step out from the hotel until it was time to go back home. I think that alone can tell everyone, how much me and my travel companions enjoyed the hotel with its services.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

hotel is about 10 minute walk from the main square - you need to climb a big hill to get to the main square so beware if you have mobility issues.
Our room was clean and a good size but overlooked a building site.
Breakfast was something to be seen - hundreds of people squashed into the largest dining hall I have ever seen scrambling over a few bits of bread and overcooked eggs.

We had not booked for the spa option and had to pay roughly £10 to use the pool and it was really very cold and not worth it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Morecambe, Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Got to the hotel by taxi and it was only about a 10 minute journey. The reception staff were very nice and we got to our room quickly. We went for a walk around the hotel area just to find a shop to get water/crisps but there was only 1 so if you needed anything, a trip to town was better. We found the spa at the hotel and booked in for a treatment during our stay. I had a full body massage and the price was very reasonable and the treatment was excellent. The spa area is beautiful and clean. We also used the pool/sauna facilities which were free and this was excellent. There was even a little bar in the pool area.

The hotel was buzzing with people all the time during our stay. Breakfast was very good, plenty to choose from hot and cold.

There were always taxis waiting at the hotel which was great. We only needed one to go back to the airport.

The hotel is only about a 15 minute walk into town up a bit of a hill so we didn't need public transport at all for our stay. We stayed for 3 nights and I would go back again. The price was very reasonable and its the first time we have been to this city. Its a shame its in the Euro as this made meals/drinks quite expensive in town.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor overlooking the main road. It wasn't noisy.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Stayed here for three nights on a business trip. The hotel is large and has very recently been completely renovated, so is definitely 4*. It is situated a short walk from the main square. It is very modern, and the rooms are spacious and well-equipped. The beds are very comfortable. There are a couple of restaurants - I ate in the Russian-themed restaurant on one night, which served good quality food and had an extensive wine list. There is a comfortable bar which seemed to be full most nights. The breakfast is extensive. The spa is big, with excellent facilities including a salt sauna, steam room, and various different pools. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a short stay in Tallinn, but if you are staying for longer you may want to look for somewhere with a bit more character, as this is definitely set up for the business traveller. I would recommend eating at the Balthazar restaurant in the main square - stunning food, especially if you like garlic!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Portlaoise, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Staff very friendly. Aqua centre very good. Rooms on the small side but well equipped.
Well located. Overall a very nice experience and would definitely return.
Bottle of water in room €5. Hotel restaurants expensive, about 10 minutes walk to old city where there are loads of restaurants. Dubliner pub very good value for snacks. Goodwins steakhouse excellent food but expensive.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Saint-Petersburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Meriton Grand Hotel Tallinn
We rested three days at the hotel. Overall impression is very good.
This hotel is great. The hotel is a five minute walk from Toompea and the Old Town.
The hotel consists of two buildings, but they are in the same building.
The first floor has many bars and restaurants. On the top floor has an observation deck. Rooms are large. The room had a bath, mini-bar, safe hairdryer, heated floor, electronic kettle, tea bags and coffee (free). In the room other than repairs, nice interior, furniture and appliances in good condition. There is WiFi, all working. European breakfast: eggs, bacon, cheese, ham, cereal, tea, coffee and juice. The hotel has a large swimming pool, nice gym.
Staff is friendly.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor overlooking the old town.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights this is the second time I have used this hotel. when I arrived i was told that the the swimming pool sauna rooms etc was closed for the whole of my stay this was never highlighted to me before I arrived or at the time of booking which was very annoying as it was one of the main reasons I had booked the hotel. I was offerd use of a nearby hotel facilities at a cost of 10 euro per day. I was then offerd a 5 euro voucher to spend in the hotel for the duration of my stay which I declined. I like this hotel and it is good value,clean etc and breakfast is acceptable and I would stay again when the facilities I wanted were operational

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Meriton Grand Conference & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!