“Tex-Mex if you only only ever witnessed it on TV” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #98 of 599 Restaurants in Tallinn
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: "No one does americana quite so well in Tallinn" Lonely Planet
London, United Kingdom
“Tex-Mex if you only only ever witnessed it on TV”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

One of my dear Estonian friends decided that it would be good fun to have me witness Tex-Mex Estonian style by taking me to this place. Having grown up in the southwest US, I am always up for seeing new and interesting interpretations of the region, especially from cultures that are a little skittish with the idea of cooking with habaneros.

This place went all out, which was a lot of fun to see. The décor was interesting, with various US issued license plates and other Texan/Mexican memorabilia on the walls. The menu also looked pretty authentic. The food, though, was a bit of a miss. Things like tacos and quesadillas were sorta the right shape, but the flavours that one would expect were not there. It was almost as if someone had watched lots of spaghetti westerns and decided to use everything that they saw in them as the basis for making a restaurant. It is really too bad, though I am sure that it would fool most people who have not been to the Lone Star State.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
JanitaTX, Manager at Texas Honky Tonk & Cantina, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Sorry, it seems you may have grown up in southwest but probably not in Texas. This is a reason why we take the reviews by native Texan and Mexican you can see below much more seriously. But no problem if we're not correct - Texas is the big country and rich of varieties. We had a fight in our kitchen between two Mexican brothers recently. They were arguing how to make the right guacamole.
BTW, we haven't seen any spaghetti westerns. Could you recomend us your favorites?

• Finnish first
mexico
“THE REAL HOME AWAY FROM HOME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Seldom does one find the real TEXAS experience away from

Seldom does one find such great food and beer in the
Texas style away from
Texas. Great good, drinks, and staff. I know as I am a life long Texan.

Visited May 2013
JanitaTX, Manager at Texas Honky Tonk & Cantina, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you so much. We are happy we could bring a lifelong Texan back home for a moment.
Geilo, Norway
“Home avay from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Been there, tried it all, have a t-shirt...
First of all- great staff! They seem to have found a founyain of youth and happiness! Out of many times I have been there, no matter how overcrowded they seem to find time to make you feel welcome, all the time, everytime...
Food - for me its just heavenly (of course as in tex-mex expect certain degree of spicyness-reaaded review before where somebody complained about it, but if you dont like a spicy food ask staff and they will gladly help you to find something milder) Personally for me I would like to see little more cajun flavour, but that's just me...
Atmosphere- as a big fan of country music and down to earth country bar atmosphere I absolutely love it
Oh I almost forgot to mention - prices are really descent for old town - way cheaper than in old Town Square!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your wonderful review! It made us all really happy and motivated entire team. We hope to see you at Texas Honky Tonk again.
norway
“finally a place to get it hot hot hot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had lunch at honky tonk and enjoyed it very much. The meny is very good, with something for the spice lovers (like my husband and my father in law) and for those who dont need as much spice (like me) and they really got it spicy!!
Decour is fun, and you get in the honky tonk mood right away:)
The food was very tasty, cheep ( tacos for around 7 litas) and a great place to have lunch.
Would recommend!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Townsville, Australia
“Good texmex”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Felt really guilty going to a texmex joint in Estonia, but that feeling dissolved quickly once I tasted the Chilli! Who'd have thought the best chilli I've ever eaten would be in Estonia? Good food and beer and reasonable prices if you fancy a taste of home.

• Visited January 2013