“Something good and something not so good” 3 of 5 stars

Viiking
Sadama 15, Parnu, Estonia   |
Ranked #19 of 48 hotels in Parnu
Finland
“Something good and something not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had a 5-day spa holiday here in February 2013. First I'd like to say that if you are expecting a waterpark experience i.e water slides etc. from your spa holiday, Viiking is not for you, as they only have one regular pool and one jacuzzi. But if you'd like to enjoy different spa treatments, facials, baths, massages etc. for a very affordable price, then you might want to look into staying here.

No complaints about the room or the cleanliness. Our room was in C-building: it wass quite large with a small balcony facing the courtyard. Room was clean and cleaners came round every day. Slept ok, even though I'm used to a larger bed. They had 2 extra pillows in the room, which was a pleasant surprise - I always need extra pillows.

Had several spa treatments during my stay, some were included in the price, some I bought as extra and they were very reasonably priced compared to Finland. But I would suggest looking through their treatment menu before your stay and booking the treatments pretty much as soon as you get there, so that you'll be able to get the ones you want. There might not be available appointments if you leave the booking for later or decide to book them on the spur of the moment, as I did. Especially during the high season. Luckily when I stayed there, just before the finnish winter holidays, there weren't that many people staying, so I was able to get almost all of the 'spur of the moment' treatments I wanted.

The only treatments I personally wouldn't recommend are the massage chair and the massage boots - waste of money. Also the salt room treatment was a disappointment not only to me but to others who were in the room with me. Were they saving on the salt, or was the machine some how blocked, I don't know, but we weren't getting enough (read any) salt into the room. We didn't see or feel any and I was told that in other places you can actually see the salt coming out or at least you'd be able to taste it. None of that happened.

I enjoyed the saunas and the pool, but like I said before, if you want to stay in a waterpark-style spa, then Viiking is not for you. And I wouldn't recommend the place for families with kids just because of the small pool (no kids section either). More for adult relaxation and pampering.

The only thing that really bothered me about Viiking hotel/spa, was the food. It wasn't up to par. The food is very VERY basic. I never went hungry, and some of the dishes (mainly pork) were tasty, but it was basically the same food every day, just prepared a bit differently. The salads were always the same and sadly no onions in sight. Breakfast was ok - I got what I wanted (porridge and eggs), but dinners were disappointing. Also went to the soup buffet for lunch - I'd say the soup (3 choices) and dessert were ok considering they only cost 3€ all together.

So all in all, I wouldn't mind staying here again if I got a good deal on a spa holiday, but they really should do something about the food. More variety in the food please - don't just prepare yesterdays stuff differently!!! (And I'm not the only one who didn't like it - talked to several others staying there and nobody liked the food. And I'm not even that picky about my food..)

Ps. They should also update their gym. The bikes are ancient and the cross trainer sounded like it was going to break down any second. And they only had 4-5 proper pieces of training equipment. Went to the gym twice, but then got bored doing the same stuff every time. (They did have one of those tiny stepmasters people had in their homes in the early 90's.. and a thighmaster! ;D)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

"spa" apparently means 20 meters pool with half of finland's population floating in it. stayed in a suite, which had a minuscule balcony facing a concrete wall but was well equipped otherwise. ventilation was inexistent or at least not functioning. breakfast was, if not disgusting, very very very basic. you had to clear your own table after eating. this is a huge establishment, apparently for tour groups. re; location -- max 10mins walk to old town but then again it's not so interesting either. i wouldn't go again, i wouldn't recommend this to anyone. service as nice, hence one bonus point for overall rating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nanjing, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Never going back to this hole. Rooms very very plain and small. Breakfast unpleasantly presented and truly boring: hard boiled eggs you could toss and kill someone! Shower drainage hardly existed. Not value for money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Viiking? Share your experiences!