“Harrowing but best museum I have ever visited” 5 of 5 stars
Review of KGB Museum (Genocido Auku Muziejus)

KGB Museum (Genocido Auku Muziejus)
Auku str. 2A, Vilnius LT-01113, Lithuania
Ranked #6 of 165 things to do in Vilnius
Lincoln
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Harrowing but best museum I have ever visited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

History at my school was lacking to say the least and I had never even touched on the the occupation of Lithuania by Germany let alone the periods of Soviet rule. This museum was the right mix of informative text and visual displays. I found the information on the KGB particularly interesting.

The most moving part for me was the pictures and information about the people who were forced to leave their homes or who lost their lives during this tragic period.

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A little too much info for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I had no idea about the conflict in the country, but I am quite impatient when it comes to reading, so found it hard to sustain my interest during my visit. The things that had the biggest effect on me were the reconstructed cells and torture chambers downstairs.

Still, great value for money at 3lt. (£0.75) and interesting if you like reading!

Ilkley, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Heartbreaking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The people of Lithuania have suffered greatly both from the occupation by the Nazis and then the Soviets. It's a testimony to the bravery of the people who fought against the tyranny. The cells and the torture chambers in the basement of the museum reduced me to tears.

cork
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An emotional visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Went here recently with my son and it was a visit I will not be forgetting. An extremely sad and thought provoking trip which certainly makes you appreciate what you have. It is difficult to imagine how people suffered at the hands of the KGB and to think that this all happened in our lifetime. Walking around the cells it is hard for even the toughest person to hide the emotion. If you are visiting Vilnius this is a must see.

UK
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“I had no idea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

An eye-opener. I had no idea of this aspect of Lithuanian history. Nicely presented - on a par with the House of terror in Budapest which is one of the most astonishing Museums I have ever visited. A great deal to take in - put aside a morning or afternoon there is a lot to read with video clips and well presented artifacts.