“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 417 Restaurants in Vilnius
Cuisines: International, European, Diner
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Druskos Namai "Salt House" was established in 2012. Our main focus is on food quality; sourcing as much as possible while in season from local farmers and suppliers. Our menu can change on a daily basis depending on what is at the peak of freshness and availability.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I booked this restaurant via web research in advance, for my 50th Birthday.
I wanted traditional restaurant, with top quality food and a professional service to fit the ocassion. To be honest I was very apprehensive before hand as there were so many good choices in Vilnius and often I don't take reviews or "League Tables results' seriously, even though it was NO.1 on trip adviser .

I emailed Gareth ( the owner) several times to arrange a menu for 21 people in advance, who was great at getting back with ideas or answers quickly.

I need not have worried!

The evening was fantastic and they did us proud. Every single person said it was a lovely restaurant and a great choice. The food was delicious and there was not a single complaint by anyone.
well done to you all and thank you.

• Visited January 2013

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have choosen this restaurant because of the reviews in TripAdvisor. We can only say good things about the restaurant: food was honest (not over the top but very well cooked), I asked for a celeriac soup and that was what I got, a very tasty soup! Service was very good and we were very surprise to know that the restaurant is only open since April!! It looks outside Vilnius town centre but it is just a 15 minutes walk from the cathedral.

• Visited January 2013
Stavanger, Norway
“Fantastic food and a very nice service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I tried squid with chorizo, duck breast and chocolate cake - all was delicious! Food, wine, liquor and coffe cost us about 200 LTL (about 60 euros for 2 persons). The staff was very freindly and proffesional.

Preston, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Mrs Sowie and I have just returned from a nice lunch here. The restaurant was very quiet with only one other table occupied by 2 French couples.

The waitress was very helpful and knowledgeable about the menu. Mrs S chose cream of celeriac soup which was thick and very moreish while i opted for the veal and sweetbread terrine. This was excellent and very tasty, served with dill pickles and toast.

For mains, my wife went for the steak, requesting it medium rare. In truth this was perhaps a little to rare for her taste, but it was very tender and well seasoned. It came served with thick hand cut chips and a wholegrain mustard. I chose the duck confit cassoulet, which was nice but unexceptional.

In addition to the above we had a glass of house white and a half litre of dark beer plus two coffees. Total cost was aprox £35, so good value.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vilnius, Lithuania
“a cozy restaurant, which is well worth a visit, but return regularly - no”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The cozy and tastefully furnished restaurant in Užupis. A big plus is really nice and helpful (but unobtrusive) waitress with expertise in not only her, but the chef's work. The waitress gladly explain from what and how the dish is made, help choose the matching wine to a dish which, on request, you can taste it. Well, the menu is short and precise, so you choose what you eat a lot easier. Restaurant offers a taste of unusual and innovative dishes. So I would suggest to visit it at least once and taste, for example, lombatelo steak with potato chips and mustard (soft and juicy meat melting in your mouth), veal liver with mushrooms and mash potato (just a great combination of flavors), duck breast with sautéed potato and prunes with red wine jus and other. But no matter how I would have loved to try one or the other dish, I'm not sure that there is at least one dish that would make me go back to the "Salt of the house" so that I taste it again. Ironically, all the dishes we tasted were too salty. Regarding the environment, I would mention the fact that the tables are too close together, resulting in a very well heard others conversations. Persons wishing to privacy, they will find it hard here. So, "Salt of the house" is a great, cozy place,is definitely worth a visit, but if I go back there again and again? Unfortunately, probably not.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere