“Pengy museum -you 'd never regret visiting!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 165 things to do in Vilnius
Kiev, Ukraine
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Pengy museum -you 'd never regret visiting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I've never expected money museum to be so interesting and instructive.
But "TripAdvisor recommends" plate at the entrance attracted my attention and it is deserved !
We get used to old fashioned museums with exhibits covered with dust and boring lectures.
But in this museum everything was different and unusual from the moment we came inside in the evening on the 29th of October.
I was so excited about everything there not because I am working in a bank myself but because the way everything was presented and the great people working there.
And also special thanks to the National Bank of Lithuania where the idea of money museum creation was born.
The museum was free of charge and that was also very unexpected because we received a lot of presents there. These nice souvenirs I brought back home.
I also liked wall made of recycled money and interactive board on which you can see information about every country of the world and its money system.
I found out information about Ukraine and it was new (data of 2012), it means that data is regularly refreshed.
You also had the opportunity to find out how much you cost in Euro if you are made of gold by stepping on a special platform. The result is printed on the check and thanks God it's the value in Euro not your weight in kilogram (you'll understand me ladies;))
I'm very grateful to Russian - speaking lady - museum employee for treating us like we were the only guests in this museum.
It was the end of the working day for her, nevertheless she did everything possible to make us feel welcomed guests ( I regret that I didn't ask her name)).
Everyone can also live his/her impressions in the book of guests as we did.
To cut long story short - I would definitely recommend this museum to everyone coming to Vilnius, you 'd never regret being there!

Visited October 2013
pinigumuziejus, Museum Specialist at Money Museum of the Bank of Lithuania, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Kolrina,

We would like to express our gratitude for such a wonderful review you made about the Money Museum of the Bank of Lithuania. I agree with you in 100% that Money Museum is really an attractive spot to people from foreign countries who decide to visit Lithuanian capital Vilnius. The Money Museum embraces not only Lithuanian money and financial history, but submits plenty of information about the worldwide money and finance starting from times when money were certain precious things and continuing with tendencies of present- days currency, finance and economy throughout the world.
We are very happy to have such a wonderful guests like You who while visiting museum obtain new things and get dose of high spirit emotions - leaving the Museum happy and delighted!:)
P.S. It is most likely that Russian speaking lady who offered you a lovely guiding tour was Mrs Nijole as she told me remembering guests from Ukraine!
One more time we would like to thank you alot!

Kind Regards,
The Money Museum Staff

• Czech first
  • Polish first
Helsinki, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A world-class money museum in a small country”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This place is a well-designed, fully interactive museum. Entry is free but you will have a wealth of information as well as some souvenirs to take with you by the time you leave. One or two hours is enough to cover the whole museum in a rudimentary way, but if you use the audioguide fully, you might want to spend an afternoon here.

The staff were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. With their help, you can mint your own coin and (after successfully completing a quiz) put your face onto a banknote. The numismatic collection covers not just Lithuania but coins and banknotes worldwide. I also liked the piece of art made with banknotes (to be) replaced by the euro.

It seemed to have (re)launched in 2010, and it has earned its place amongst money museums such as those for the central banks of New Zealand, England (London), Finland, the coin room in the Ashmolean (Oxford), and the Greek numismatic museum: all of which I have visited. It is very educational, and I am sure it will continue to contribute to the wisdom and knowledge of Lithuanians in their financial and monetary decisions.

Visited October 2013
pinigumuziejus, Museum Specialist at Money Museum of the Bank of Lithuania, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Many, many thanks for such a wonderful review! We are so pleased to hear that you ranked us being in the same place and equal with other astonishing central bank museums which you had visited!

Money Museum
Staff:)
Turku, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Worth visiting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Very friendly staff and a lot of fun things you can do there. Like weight yourself in gold and make your own money. Good exhibition.

Visited October 2013
pinigumuziejus, Museum Specialist at Money Museum of the Bank of Lithuania, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear guest from Finland,

Million thanks for such a wonderful comment!:) It is so great to hear that our museum visitors assess us being an excellent place and describe money museum being a place worth a visit.

Warm Regards,
Friendly Staff of Money Museum:)
Vilnius
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Worthy visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

An unexpected and interesting small, well thought-out and layed-out museum related to the evolution of money,banking and financial matters. Pleasant and helpful guides. Not to be missed - the location is most convenient.

Visited June 2013
We appreciate your review made about the Money Museum of the Central Bank of Lithuania. It is extremely significant to receive such a wonderful comment!!!!!! I could not even describe Money Museum better as you did, describing it being the place worth a visit! Money Museum is really an exceptional place!
P.S. I would personally like to express my thankfulness for positive assessment of our guides too. We (all guides) really strive to meet everyone who comes into the museum with open heart. Positive review like this, really encourages us to strive to be even more helpful and pleasant!

We hope to see you again in the Money Museum!:)

Money Museum
Staff
australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Small free museum with an excellent display on history of money and the Euro. Worth a visit - they should really charge a fee!

Visited September 2013
pinigumuziejus, Museum Specialist at Money Museum of the Bank of Lithuania, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Many, many thanks for such a wonderful review!!!! we appreciate it so much:) It is so nice to have such an awesome guests in our place! Money Museum was always free of charge since its establishment and remains being free for our wonderful guests in future too. Money Museum belongs to Lithuanian Central Bank which is also in charge of educational activities concerning finance sphere. This is the main reason, why museum is free of charge.

Museum Staff