“Real traditional food&excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 384 Restaurants in Vilnius
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Narrow Stikliu street in the old town of Vilnius began it‘s history in XVth century, when merchants and craftsmen, invited by Lithuanian Grand Dukes, here started their businesses - shops, workshops and taverns.The building, where currently restaurant “Lokys” is situated, was build in the end of XVth century for one of the merchants both for living and trading purposes.Over centuries, gothic cellars changed their owners for couple of times. Here have been shops, taverns and beerhouses, until 1972, when it was restored and hunters’ restaurant “Lokys” housed here.
“Real traditional food&excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Lokys is a real traditional tavern!We ate a delicious soup (boletus with pumkin oil) for starter.For main dish we choose meat,which were the also great-especially the venison!Generally very tasty food!
The staff were very helpfull and frendly and had a good service!
Highly recommended for traditional food and for meat lovers!

• Polish first
Vilnius, Lithuania
“Authentic architecture and cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Restaurant Lokys ( Male bear) was established in Vilnius downtown in 1972 and since then it tries to keep good and old traditions of Lithuanian cuisine.
We went where for lunch and we liked that choice in the menu wasn't very big and mostly contains game and different kind of wild meat. We were surprised by a few drinks offered by the restaurant- caraway seeds bread drink and coffee made of oak fruit.
Food was tasty, service was very good, the atmosphere in the courtyard also very cosy. In addition you take a look inside at the old fireplace which was used in the late XV century.
To sum up, I would recommend this place for all foreign tourist who come to Vilnius and want to try authentic Lithuanian cuisine.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
UK
“A hunter's delight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Located in a XVth century building, this restaurant offers meat lovers a varied 'hunters' menu including venison, boar and beaver. A couple of fish and vegetarian options are available for non meat eaters. The waitresses are attentive and provide menus in your spoken language. Tasty food, great atmosphere and service with a smile. Good value for money.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“BEST VENISON I'VE EATEN IN TEN YEARS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

I grew up eating venison and wherever I travel, I seek out restaurants that serve it. Lokys' venison is the best I've had in the last ten years, or even fifteen. The last time I recall such a juicy and well prepared venison was in Heidelberg, Germany. The chanterelles mushrooms that were part of the dish had a fruity flavor that I enjoyed. Service was great -- in a country where service is generally slow.
I had come with the intention of eating outside in the courtyard and was on the point of leaving for another restaurant. Lokys' management and I have to thank Rita not only as the waitress who served me but also as the person who persuaded me to try the interior of the restaurant. It was worth staying.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hampton, Virginia
“Dishes of Lithuania, yummy, prompt, good value, excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We dined our first night in Vilnius at Lokys, highly recommended by the hotel manager and our tour guide, separately. We checked it out, and the interesting menu is enough to lure you in. Since we have kids with us, the courtyard dining is excellent as an option. The evening was a little chilly, but we were dressed appropriately. In case you don't have proper attire, they provide cozy fleece blankets for you to wear. Our server was prompt and professional. We ordered salmon, vegetarian aubergine plate, potato horns, steak with pepper sauce, and the chicken with sundried tomatoes. All dishes arrived with a wonderful mix of salad and grilled vegetables, and beautiful sauces. Because of the chilly night, the plates rapidly cooled. But, no matter, we still ate every morsel. I really wanted to order the panna cotta dessert, but we were all too stuffed to order dessert. I also ordered the pinot grigio. I found that it was too sweet, but so what? It was still quite good. We all had a lovely time. I would very much recommend this enchanting restaurant. My only comment would be to somehow warm the plates enought to keep the entrees warm in the chill night air.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere