“3 night stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Piestany
Edinburgh
“3 night stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights bed and breakfast, visiting Piestany for dental treatment and this hotel being one that they can book for you.
Very reasonable cost at 20 pounds each per night. Hotel in based at the edge of the River Voh and has really nice views over to Spa Island. Rooms are pretty basic but clean. Had trouble with in room safe but was quickly repaired when staff notified of fault.
Breakfast was basic too, cereals, powdered fruit juice (not good), cold meats, boiled eggs, yogurt and fruit. Enough to start the day though.
There are two therapists located within the hotel, prices are reasonable but we did not book anything as we found the language barrier too difficult.
Location is great for the town, walk anywhere easily and the centre nearby. A stroll around Spa Island. Prices are great here for meals and drinks.
On our last day we travelled by train to Bratislava and onto Vienna, only a couple of hours away at about 20 euros return. Well worth the visit.
The only down side to our visit was when the hotel tried to charge us for a can of soft drink taken from the bar fridge in our room!
I would go back there but there are a lot of other accommodation in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the river
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

First, some of the pro's: clean renovated bathrooms (the only things that are renovated since the 70-ties). Free swimming pool. Free internet in the rooms if you bring your Ethernet cable. Parking in front of the hotel is 6 Euro per day. Good breakfast buffet (except the juices).
Now for the negatives:
The worst hard bed I slept in, with the flattest (one) pillow.. I had a double room for single use but it still was small. View on the river means sun and heat, however, the modern wall A/C by Mitsubishi was out of service.TV remote control was working but not matching the TV brand, I had to get up every time to change the channel or do any input on the TINY TV set. There is no way to darken the room (bring sleeping mask and earplugs). No concierge, no porter or doorman, no bell-boy, no staff to take the luggage out of the car, bring it up or down. Very outdated and faded elevators (2) and room furniture. These elevators have no inner door so watch out not to get caught or scratched. The hotel lobby and the entire building is in a total darkness at 10:30 PM. Restaurant serves lukewarm powdered drinks as "breakfast juice" (one red, one yellow). Payment for lodging is upfront and they want you out of the room by 10 AM.
All in all, this is definitely NOT a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: The river view is hot and sunny. In any case, you'll get some noise on both sides as well as fro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Piestany hotels

Wicken
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I booked into this hotel when travelling to the area for medical treatment. On arrival my Doctor's manager rang them to say that I was not well enough to stay there and could they please cancel my reservation - this conversation took place in their own language so it was quite clear. Imagine my horror when I got home only to discover that they had helped themselves to payment anyway! I have contacted them and they maintained they couldn't speak English so the agency then contacted them and they refuse to refund the money. I was told by the Clinic I was attending that it is an awful place anyway. Avoid it or you too might well end up ripped off!

Room Tip: Hotels in the area can not really be guaged by UK star rating.
Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Brattleboro, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

If you would like to enjoy the atmosphere of 80-ties in communist Czechoslovakia, you are on the good place. Horrible cuisine, better is to take a hot dog at the street. Dirty and small pool - the only proffesional in the hotel was photographer who made it's pictures. On the other hand -the hotel is in the centre, some rooms have nice view to the river, and toilets are renovated.

Room Tip: Ask for a view to the river, check the toilet
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Bratislava, Slovakia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

A bit of old-fashioned, old furniture, beds, bathrooms, but they keep it clena. The reception staff was kind of slow, but helpful. Breakfast was fine, you can go for a swim, jaccuzzi, sauna...
Cheap average hotel, but I would go there again.

Room Tip: I could hear a next room person snooring all night.... I would prefer a room with a view of river...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Waterford, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I stayed here twice so I must have enjoyed my stay, I did, the view of river outstanding; we stayed 8 floors up and enjoyed sunning ourselves on the little balcony.
Language barrier meant we did not always get what we wanted, for example breakfast time: No menu on tables, on 2nd visit no hot food available, very hit and miss. One morning 1 choice fruit juice, then a client loudly complained and next morning 2 choices appeared and a plate of sweet biscuits! Our jaws dropped in disbelief when the man who had previously complained received a huge plate of scrambled eggs; on our first visit this was available for all in trolley, I attempted to explain the unfairness, and where were our eggs, all in vain, finally, it appears, if you go to the bar and search hard you may find a menu, on that menu you could order eggs, porridge etc for no additional cost, alas it was our last day when I discovered this so too late, the menu was hidden like a state secret.
The phone in room did not work, but there was a safe and cooler bar.
Decent shower etc.
Old hotel, looks like from 70s, lifts appear ancient. Stairs nice and wide and we made use of them to get in extra exercise.
You pay a euro to use pool each time, it was old, a little cold, but I was able to use it late in evening which was good, so I could swim alone in peace.
Got a good massage at hotel.
I would stay here again if I came, at least I now know the mystery of the disappeared eggs.
I got a good deal cos I was getting dental treatment; a mixed bag really.
Oh and internet broken! Oh and could not work the airconditioning and could not get help cos no maintanence after certain hour.

Room Tip: get a room over river, but beware the bottle skip gets emptied 6 am
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Piešťany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Hotel was build in sozialistic aera in sixties past century.-4-stars is too much. Kitchen is good,
personel empatic, wellness average, parking outdoor.
Resumee: average hotel for average price.

Room Tip: Give a tip
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Magnolia Hotel? Share your experiences!