“Interesting and convenient themed hotel.” 3 of 5 stars

Film Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vysoka 27, Bratislava 811 06, Slovakia (Staré Mesto)   |
Ranked #42 of 92 Hotels in Bratislava
Chester, United Kingdom
“Interesting and convenient themed hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The Film Hotel is situated in a quiet street close to the city centre. As the name suggests, a Hollywood theme runs throughout the hotel, from the Oscar statue and framed photographs in reception to all the rooms being named after film stars (Marilyn Monroe, Paul Newman etc). It's a pleasant enough place to stay, and WiFi is available throughout, which is a big plus. We did find the service somewhat lacking though, particularly at breakfast, where we had to wait 30 minutes to get served. Still, a perfectly satisfactory alternative to the faceless chain hotels - you can't accuse it of not having character.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Clean , comfortable,friendly staff , the hotel is 3mins walk to the shops and you just follow the road to the old town ,around 8min walk , Beware of the taxi drivers , I got charged 15euros from the station to the hotel it took 5mins , the hotel booked me a taxi to the airport they said its around 11 to 15 euros , when I got the airport he wanted 27euros , it takes around 15 to 20 mins , I had a bit of a disagreement with him and gave him 20 euros ,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was in beautiful and cosmopolitan Prague but wanted something else so I took the train and went to Bratislava. Day and night difference with Prague. Very small old town, new town had mostly shops still in Soviet style, no international brands etc...
Nightlife during the week almost zero. But that also has it charms however the country and city is not very interesting and beautiful. I feel sad to say so because I do not want to do harm to its people but even they say the same... So OK for one night but for me not more, I was happy to go back to Prague for the remaining days of my trip.
The hotel is right next to the main shopping street but in a more quiet street. So very good location. Everything is more or less inspired by movies and their stars so you will find many pictures, names and statues of film related things. They have a popular bar and restaurant as well. Reception was very good and I think students were working their, wo were fluent in English and their customer service was perfect. Rooms were very clean but less inspired than the ground floor bar and restaurant with only the name of an actor at the door and inside two old pictures of that actor. Breakfast is extra at 3,5 Euro. I paid 60 Euro for a single room. Bratislava, although not very popular by tourists, has rather high hotel prices !!
The room was very clean but very classic style, under the roof. So nothing bad at all !
I hope for the poorer SLowakian people the future will be better and more tourists to come to Bratislava but then the government has to change a lot...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Good hotel for business travel or city trip. The location is amazing both for a people with rented car and for one using public transport as well. Also, there is about 10-15 minutes walk until the Old City center. Big shopping street is around the corner.
In a hotel you will meet friendly staff. Very basic but acceptable breakfast. The rooms are modest but nice and clean. We found our room romantic enough. However, we suffered a bit from noises during the night. Drunk and happy crowds of tourists walked through the street :) Also, the hotel havn't elevator, and the upstairs may become a nightmare for elder, too tired or disabled people.

Room Tip: Not the first and not the last floors.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I spent 3 nights in the hotel. The location is perfect, in the center of the city. Rooms are modest, but clean. I did not spend a lot of time in the hotel, basically I was just sleeping there. Service was excellent both on the reception desk and in the restaurant. I can recommend for a short business trip. Inexpensive, good sleep quality, wifi in the room, that was all I needed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bray
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

New guy at reception couldn't have been more helpful. Stayed in room 2 (brigitte bardot). Good size room, nothing about the place was particularly bad or particularly brilliant. We were only staying one night on the way back from Eastern Slovakia so as a place to lay our heads it was pretty good. Lack of shower curtains was a bit weird, but otherwise bathroom clean and decent. We were gone early so I couldn't rate the breakfast. Again, they were helpful in the morning and sorted out a taxi to the airport for us (€13 , not too bad) really quickly. Wifi worked fine. I don't know if It's the kind of place for a long stay, but it did the job for our needs. Two major positives about the place were the location (stone's throw from the old city & all the good spots) and the price. Got a very good deal of €70 for 3 people, although I think it's usually a bit more than that. All in all, not amazing but not bad at all.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights and our room was not cleaned once.
We just about had enough toilet paper to last the visit, and luckily always hang our towels up to dry. We had to take the bags of rubbish we accumulated out ourselves to the street.
We stayed in Room 2 (Brigitte Bardot) and it was fine - there are actually 2 bedrooms which we had'nt realised, one with a single bed in it. The double bed was good quality, no complaints there.
There was a TV but no channels in English plus it made a vibrating noise when turned on which was pretty irritating. There were 2 fridges but one didn't work - but there was no sign or anything to let you know so we had to throw out the small food items we put in there on the first night.
The bathroom, as others have mentioned, had no shower curtain - and also had no way to hang the shower up, you had to hold it by hand. This was really bad. Actually to avoid destroying the entire bathroom you had to sit down in the bath and shower yourself. Not so good for my 6'2 husband.
The breakfast was included with the room but it wasn't great - tea/coffee, 2 slices of toast, 2 slices of cheese and 1 of horrible fake ham, some butter and jam. Also people are smoking as breakfast is served in the bar and there is no non-smoking area. The bar was expensive and they had no beer on tap. The staff were pleasant no complaints there.
The location is great very central - but also very noisy at night, plus the tram noises start at 4.30am. The wireless internet was perfect altho my husband did have to go and reset it one night! Also there are no staff there at night from about 11pm, so do not lose your keys or you are on the streets for the night!
Overall I would not recommend the hotel. But then again I wouldn't really recommend Bratislava as a destination either...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Film Hotel? Share your experiences!