“Nothing bad !” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 90 Hotels in Bratislava
Antwerp, Belgium
“Nothing bad !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was in beautiful and cosmopolitan Prague but wanted something else so I took the train and went to Bratislava. Day and night difference with Prague. Very small old town, new town had mostly shops still in Soviet style, no international brands etc...
Nightlife during the week almost zero. But that also has it charms however the country and city is not very interesting and beautiful. I feel sad to say so because I do not want to do harm to its people but even they say the same... So OK for one night but for me not more, I was happy to go back to Prague for the remaining days of my trip.
The hotel is right next to the main shopping street but in a more quiet street. So very good location. Everything is more or less inspired by movies and their stars so you will find many pictures, names and statues of film related things. They have a popular bar and restaurant as well. Reception was very good and I think students were working their, wo were fluent in English and their customer service was perfect. Rooms were very clean but less inspired than the ground floor bar and restaurant with only the name of an actor at the door and inside two old pictures of that actor. Breakfast is extra at 3,5 Euro. I paid 60 Euro for a single room. Bratislava, although not very popular by tourists, has rather high hotel prices !!
The room was very clean but very classic style, under the roof. So nothing bad at all !
I hope for the poorer SLowakian people the future will be better and more tourists to come to Bratislava but then the government has to change a lot...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Good hotel for business travel or city trip. The location is amazing both for a people with rented car and for one using public transport as well. Also, there is about 10-15 minutes walk until the Old City center. Big shopping street is around the corner.
In a hotel you will meet friendly staff. Very basic but acceptable breakfast. The rooms are modest but nice and clean. We found our room romantic enough. However, we suffered a bit from noises during the night. Drunk and happy crowds of tourists walked through the street :) Also, the hotel havn't elevator, and the upstairs may become a nightmare for elder, too tired or disabled people.

Room Tip: Not the first and not the last floors.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I spent 3 nights in the hotel. The location is perfect, in the center of the city. Rooms are modest, but clean. I did not spend a lot of time in the hotel, basically I was just sleeping there. Service was excellent both on the reception desk and in the restaurant. I can recommend for a short business trip. Inexpensive, good sleep quality, wifi in the room, that was all I needed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bray
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

New guy at reception couldn't have been more helpful. Stayed in room 2 (brigitte bardot). Good size room, nothing about the place was particularly bad or particularly brilliant. We were only staying one night on the way back from Eastern Slovakia so as a place to lay our heads it was pretty good. Lack of shower curtains was a bit weird, but otherwise bathroom clean and decent. We were gone early so I couldn't rate the breakfast. Again, they were helpful in the morning and sorted out a taxi to the airport for us (€13 , not too bad) really quickly. Wifi worked fine. I don't know if It's the kind of place for a long stay, but it did the job for our needs. Two major positives about the place were the location (stone's throw from the old city & all the good spots) and the price. Got a very good deal of €70 for 3 people, although I think it's usually a bit more than that. All in all, not amazing but not bad at all.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights and our room was not cleaned once.
We just about had enough toilet paper to last the visit, and luckily always hang our towels up to dry. We had to take the bags of rubbish we accumulated out ourselves to the street.
We stayed in Room 2 (Brigitte Bardot) and it was fine - there are actually 2 bedrooms which we had'nt realised, one with a single bed in it. The double bed was good quality, no complaints there.
There was a TV but no channels in English plus it made a vibrating noise when turned on which was pretty irritating. There were 2 fridges but one didn't work - but there was no sign or anything to let you know so we had to throw out the small food items we put in there on the first night.
The bathroom, as others have mentioned, had no shower curtain - and also had no way to hang the shower up, you had to hold it by hand. This was really bad. Actually to avoid destroying the entire bathroom you had to sit down in the bath and shower yourself. Not so good for my 6'2 husband.
The breakfast was included with the room but it wasn't great - tea/coffee, 2 slices of toast, 2 slices of cheese and 1 of horrible fake ham, some butter and jam. Also people are smoking as breakfast is served in the bar and there is no non-smoking area. The bar was expensive and they had no beer on tap. The staff were pleasant no complaints there.
The location is great very central - but also very noisy at night, plus the tram noises start at 4.30am. The wireless internet was perfect altho my husband did have to go and reset it one night! Also there are no staff there at night from about 11pm, so do not lose your keys or you are on the streets for the night!
Overall I would not recommend the hotel. But then again I wouldn't really recommend Bratislava as a destination either...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

You know, I'm always skeptical of reviews with one star, because it seems mostly that folks take one thing and blow it out of proportion, that's why this has 2 stars, even though there isn't much good I can say about the Film Hotel.
Starting with the good: The hotel is relatively central, i.e. you can walk everywhere in old town, as it's a small old town surrounded by a not very interesting belt of high-rises from the Soviet era. It's small, i.e. less same-old same-old. The entrance is welcoming.
As you head up the creaky narrow dark winding staircase the foreboding begins. The room is relatively large shows sign of wear, is sparsely furnished, but has a modern tiled bathroom with bathtub, but unfortunately no shower curtain. It was a nice day when we arrived, about 20C in temperature, but the room was really hot and stuffy. We thought: "hey, no problem we put on the big airconditioning unit when we get home tonight."
That night we came home to find that not only was it even hotter in our room, but also it smelled like old french fry oil. Apparently the bathroom fan is directly connected to the kitchen of the restaurant. Horrible. The air conditioning unit of course didn't manage to cool down the room (a problem we heard from the two other couples that we knew and staid in the hotel as well) and so it was a noisy, hot, smelly night. We tried to change rooms, but the hotel was fully booked and so we checked out and I have to admit that the front desk staff was correct in the way they handled the situation. They knew the smell issue (apparently our room is the only one that has it, Room 5: Julia Roberts), gave a 10% discount on the room and no cancellation fee. By luck we found and and stayed for Euro 30 more at the Michalska Brana hotel the next night, which was fabulous.

• Liked — Cleanliness, bathroom
  • Disliked — smell, heat
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2007

The Film Hotel is a very nice little hotel in a great location in Bratislava's centre. Though it doesn't offer anything fancy in terms of perks, it is totally functional and is an amazing value. I stayed on the top floor with the shared bathroom. Sharing posed no problem and the bathroom was nice (though the toilet would be very difficult for people taller than 6 ft), but the couple sharing the floor with me smoked excessively in the hallway and I couldn't keep the smell out of my room.

The good: Location, cost, breakfast, cleanliness.

The bad: Unfriendly staff (English/Slovak speaking and rude in both languages).

• Liked — Location, cost
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Film Hotel? Share your experiences!