“Fair, but it could be better.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Botel Marina

Save Saved
You added Botel Marina to your Saves list
Botel Marina
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nabrezie arm gen L Svobodu, Bratislava 811 02 , Slovakia   |
Ranked #78 of 89 hotels in Bratislava
Madrid, Spain
“Fair, but it could be better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked a single room that in fact was double for single use. As it is a botel I expected to find boat cabin style rooms and bathroom, so if you are not used to this type of rooms please check before booking. Towels and bathroom were clean, and it was nice to have hot showers at all time. I stayed a couple of nights. The first night the room was a bit cold but the second day it was warmer but it seems there was something wrong with the room temperature switch (there was a sign in Slovak) in the room, so they should have fixed that. Bed was ok, but blankets seemed a bit old. TV and fridge were not working well, but there was free wifi in the room. The whole place could be better if they fixed small things here and there which are old or where missing to give a better impression. Breakfast was ok for a start despite the fact that there was not much variety in the menu you could find sausages, cheese, ham, cereals, bread, etc, the only problem I found was that some cups and plates were a little bit dirty or not well washed. At the end that is the impression the whole place gave me, that it could be better if someone just looked after the place fixing things or replacing that old this or that old tiny thing there or just checking that cups or plates at the restaurant were well washed. But on the overall it was ok, because I found an extremely good and cheap rate through an internet booking page and I didn´t found any further problems. The place is easy to find: Bus 61 from airport (20m), walking down to the Danube crossing city centre (30m), facing the river turn right from the UFO bridge, straight (5m). You can also catch a tram and a taxi of course, but everthing in Bratislava is in a walking distance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Bratislava
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Never stayed at a botel and figured we'd give it a shot considering the price was right. Dirty, poor service, room didn't have towels or toilet paper when we checked in. The staff was well informed on what appeared to be Slovakian soap operas (always sat in the lobby watching television, even as we waited right in front of them to check in). Wouldn't go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Botel Marina is situated on the River Danube, in sight of Bratislava castle, and about 10 minutes walk from the old town. We stayed for 3 nights at the end of February 2013, when the weather was very cold. However, our room, although fairly basic, was clean, warm and comfortable, and we thought it good value for the money we paid. On the downside, the breakfast was poor, very little choice, and one morning there was no milk for the cereal, despite assurances that it was coming.
If you are coming from the airport, a number 61 bus will take you to the railway station for under one euro, and then it is about 45 minutes to walk (heading for the river) or a short taxi ride. You can get another bus, but a little complicated if you do not know the city. Alternatively, there is a good quality coach which goes from Bratislava Airport to Vienna, a bit more expensive (around 5 euros), less frequent than the bus, but stops close to the Botel Marina at what is described locally as the bus station under the bridge, not to be confused with the main bus station.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Excellent value for money, particularly for budget travellers. The hotel offers spectacular views across the Danube and The Novy Most (New Bridge). It is within good walking distance of the historical centre of Bratislava.

I was slightly dubious before checking into this hotel, particularly after having read the real mix of guest reviews on here. However, my initial doubts quickly diminished. Upon entering the main reception area there is a faint Indian food aroma which didn't seem to linger any further, certainly not into my room.

My room and en-suite were well presented and clean. The twin-bed guest room featured a desk/dressing table, a decent size wardrobe, a fridge and tv (with mostly Slovak channels, however CNN was available). The en-suite was similar to those found on ferries, or even caravans, equipped with a shower, wash basin and toliet. Hot water was available throughout the day. A typical continental breakfast was served from 07.30 - 10.30, however on some mornings the food didn't get brought out until 08.30 which was one of my only gripes.

I didn't have any noise complaints during my stay, however mine was a 3-weekday stay outside of the main travel season. It would be interesting to see if this is varies during the busier periods of the year or on weekends. Overall, I would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

Skien, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I always check in to hotells with a big smile on my face, very positive. ( to bad the man in the reception dont respond) I was close to say: sorry for bothering you, but may I please check in?
I got a room with a wiew to land, or some rocks.. well that didnt ruin my stay.
The room was very small, but quite clean and cozy. Bathroom was smaller than I have ever imagined it was possible, but this is old ship lugars.
The stairs from land to the boat was around 10m from my room and every time someone was boarding it was like 10 Elephants wanted to board the ship. very noisy.
Same at the hall outside the room, very noisy when people walk outside.

The woman that took over for the man who checked me in was very unhelpfull, she was more busy with here telephone and internett than helping customers.. The Indian restaurant had quite good food, but the people that worked there, or the one who served me needs to get told how to smile or come back to ask if I want something else..
Everytime I had to go to the Kitchen??? and ask for a beer or the bill or napkins.. Terrible service...
The best with the restaurant was to sit outside and watch the life on the river..
But I will not recommend this Botel to anyone.. stay away!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked the Botel Marina for a 4 night break, as we thought it would be good to stay somewhere thats not the run of the mill hotel. Arrived Monday at about 10pm (first thing we noticed is that there was a very strong smell of indian cooking obviously from the restuarant), went to check in after about 5 mins the guy on the desk found our booking and said that he didnt need to see our booking form, he started to show us to our room only to find out that the room hadnt been cleaned and there was bedding from the previous guests piled on the bed, he apologised and after a few minutes shown us to another room, which had been cleaned. So we dropped our bags and went out for a walk to get our bearings. When we got back, we went to our room and there was still a strong smell of indian cooking (this could be smelt all night through till the following morning), we tried to close the curtains but to no avail as they were to small, this was a bit of an issue as we were overlooked from the pathway, after looking round the room, we found the mini bar which was empty and very dirty, I dont think we would have drank anything from inside it, even if there had been anything in it, the lamp shades above the beds had got holes in them obviously burnt as you could see scorch marks were they had been burnt. The shower was very small also the curtain had black mould on the bottom of it, we went for breakfast which was upstairs, this was a laugh yes we understand it was a Bratislavain breakfast but to serve "Tesco" value yogurts took the biscuit, no toaster even had to boil the kettle myself to make a cup of "Tesco" coffee. Our room had not been cleaned for 3 days, so my partner asked on the Thursday morning if our room was going to be cleaned and our towels & bed linen changed as they haven't been, the receptionist stated that she didnt even know that anyone was in the room and checked our booking she couldnt find us as the guy on the first night hadn't checked us in to the room, so they thought that there wasnt anyone in the room !! after this had been sorted we went out for the day, on our return we went to our room only to find that it had not been cleaned, the bins were full and the towels had not been changed, my partner went back to the reception to asked for clean towels, she was asked if we wanted all clean ones ! bearing in mind that it was almost 8 hours since we spoke to the receptionist you would have thought that the room would have been cleaned and linen changed. Overall the best thing about this place was the location very central only a few minutes walk from a good variety of bars and restaurants and the Aupark Shopping centre.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We decided the Botel Marina was to be our 'landing pad' for a good friend's stag do in the beautiful city of Bratislava, and like many have pointed out, the location was spot on. Within easy and relatively quick walking distance to the Old town and Au Park shopping centre.

Unfortunately, the location was the only thing going for this place (along with decent wi-fi). Many of the rooms our party stayed in (there was 9 of us in total) suffered from holes in the walls/doors, cobwebs, unshutable windows, an empty fridge which smelled like something had died in it, dirt, dust, odd stains and worst of all, bedbugs. Many of which had a feast on my face one night whilst sleeping, leaving me with the swollen features of someone who looked to have gone several rounds with Mike Tyson's fists.

Two of our party were moved to another room, as were myself and my friend - the receptionist looked bemused by the whole thing, but barely more than that. Meanwhile, my other friends were starting to become the latest meal for the bedbugs, leaving us to believe they were across a whole floor. There was little attempt to help or contain the pests (aside from a can of bug killer. Good job), or, shockingly, a desire to clean our rooms… not even to change the towels.

The rooms themselves are adequate, if small (they're old ship cabin style rooms, so no surprises there), same with the bathrooms. All generally fine, but the bug problem and clear lack of maintenance and cleanliness is a total killer.

But if you’re a bug it’s unbeatable value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Botel Marina? Share your experiences!