“Marvelous renovation! Definitely underrated” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sorea Regia

You added Hotel Sorea Regia to your Saves list
Hotel Sorea Regia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kralovske udolie 6, Bratislava 811 02, Slovakia (Staré Mesto)   |
Ranked #58 of 91 Hotels in Bratislava
San Jose, CA
“Marvelous renovation! Definitely underrated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Our large tour group stayed at the Hotel Sorea Regia for two nights mid-June. We were informed that the hotel had recently renovated, and it was only its third week of operation. The hotel is long and linear with three buildings, so it was a rather long walk from the hotel lobby to our room. Also, since its perched on a rather steep hillside, the three buildings are on slightly staggered levels - therefore, requiring luggage to be bounced on a flight of stairs from the first level of the middle section of the building to another section. the neighborhood - its in a standard residential neighborhood on the steep hillside, and had it not been for our amazing driver, the bus mightve not been able to get close to the hotel through its narrow streets.
Now for the room itself - I was a bit worried after reading three-year-old reviews about this hotel on tripadvisor, but the room was surprisingly rather modern and trendy. Then again, the entire hotel just experienced a modern makeover. There's a nice row of roomy closets on the left side of the room across from a rather spacious (as far as hotels go) bathroom. The sleeping area was a standard western-hotel shaped, with two twin beds (and a third bed aka modified loveseat closest to the window). About the window/door to the patio - extremely weird. the door has two modes, a mode where you can use it as a legitimate door to get to the patio (overlooking a graveyard. spooky/weird location-wise). The second mode opened the top of the door vertically so when one of us accidentally discovered it, we thought the door was about to collapsed and phoned maintenance. Turns out that's supposed to be an open window sort of effect. Rather... interesting
Breakfast is standard european hotel fare, with nice cold cuts and pastries with eggs and sausages. There's a really interesting "vitamin drink" that tastes like an over sweetened medicine-tasting orange juice flavored concoction. Again, interesting, but I went back to my apple juice afterwards.
Overall, the stay was extremely nice and pleasant (discounting all the mosquitoes from the humid weather that gave way too many bites while we slept, but that wasnt the hotel's problem), and the hotel's renovation makes it a very excellent value for touristing in Bratislava.

• Stayed June 2010

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

I stayed in Bratislava for 3 days for a conference visit. The conference was organized in this hotel so it made sense to stay there, as well.

The hotel is quite a strange mix of pros and cons:

+ Good location with nice and quiet surrounding and close to the castle and downtown

+ Reasonably new and modern furniture

+ Reasonable (though not very high quality) breakfast and food

- Weary and poorly maintained building;
the corridors look like those of an old hospital (with white florescent lamps)

- Poor cleaning service. There was no toilet paper and shampoo at arrival. One day they did not clean the room at all and when asked for it, shampoo and soap were not recharged.

Some people at the front desk were kind and helpful and some were truly useless. When my taxi to the airport was late for about 15 minutes, the lady at the desk was reluctant to call the taxi servcie.

All in all, it is ok to stay at this hotel for a short period but if I will visit Bratislava again, I will definitely look for a better place to stay.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
tyne and wear
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

This hotel seems still very much living in the communist era. There is a curious combination of an abundance of some things (large room space, huge quantities of pretty good decent food, etc.) and a lacking of other basics. When I checked in, the toilet paper in my bathroom has run out, so I went to the front desk to ask. A huge roll of industrial dark brown rough stuff was dumped in front of me and that was that. Since I had no way of opening the paper holder without the proper key, I had to put it on the floor. On two separate occasions handles of a door and a window came off into my hand when I tried to open/close them. Paint was peeling off and mushrooms growing on the ceiling/walls of my bathroom. Such examples illustrate the hap-hazard nature of staying in this hotel. I had no real problems with this as I grew up in a communist society and the only thing I need to do was to switch to "living in communist society" mode and it suddenly became a paradise with real charming points. I really liked the quietness, in spite of the hotel being very close to a busy road and less than a mile from the historic town centre and good transport links. Interesting sight seeing gems close to the hotel include a Jewish Monument (I've never seen anything like it) and a very Stalinist looking culture club type building (I saw many of these when I was kid) with glorious workers' statues on the walls on the river.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

I planned to stay with some friends in Bratislava, but that fell though. I had to pick a hotel on really short notice, and the SOREA was the only affordable option. So I booked a room for 5 nights, although I wasn't sure that I could stay that long in a hotel which some reviews called "dark" and "dingy" and even "dirty." When I arrived at Sorea I was pleasantly surprised. It was spacious although old-fashioned. There was a good, although not gourmet, spread for breakfast with lots of choices, and the halls especially were nice and airy with large windows which looked over green trees which reminded me a lot of the Oakland Hills. I also realized, though only on my last evening, that to the side of the hotel there are large grounds with gardens, which would have been nice for walking around.
I don't mean to make the hotel sound better than it is, because having low expectations was part of what made it so great a surprise. Sorea is certainly no rival to the Hotel Kempinski, which is being built right down the block (although my friend was convinced that we were in a "bad" neighborhood). However, for anyone who is used to paying comparable prices for hotels in Europe, I think they will be pleasantly surprised.
Another note: I heard before I booked my stay that the rooms don't get cleaned and was really put off. When our room wasn't cleaned for the first two days, I was disappointed. But we realized later that rooms aren't cleaned if you lock your door (they have normal keys, not key-cards, and apparently the maids don't have copies). Anyway, I met the cleaning lady coming down the hall on the third day, and she seemed very pleased to clean my room for me when I asked.
Sorea has many of the same amenities as classier hotels (phone and TV in our room, computer for guests, bar) but they are admittedly not as high of a quality as you might get at other places. However, the staff was nice enough, and we were also allowed to store our luggage there on the last day while we walked around.

• Liked — 10 minute walk to SNP Bridge along the river, and close to the castle and downtown
  • Disliked — hotmail didn't work on their free computer (but my friend's gmail account worked)
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2005

I just spent five days here. The hotel is cheap (compared to say the Radisson). You are next to the castle, but it is still a long walk...unless there is a more direct route than the one I took. We took taxi's a lot to the city center where resturants are. There is a resturant in the hotel...but its ok. Nothing that I would write home about. Our room was clean and all of the furniture was new. Good for business trip. I wouldnt have stayed there by myself though. The hallways were not lit at night and they still use real keys...which caused me some concerns about security. Glad to have my husband with me. I dont think I would stay here again unless other hotels were full or too expensive. Its not a bad hotel...just not great.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Sorea Regia? Share your experiences!