“I'd rather not!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chez David

Chez David
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bratislava
Chez David
You added Chez David to your Saves list
Zamocka 13, Bratislava 811 01, Slovakia (Staré Mesto)   |
Ranked #12 of 45 Bratislava B&B and Inns
Belfast, United Kingdom
“I'd rather not!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

I was looking forward to Chez David, based on the reviews here but have to say I was somewhat disappointed.

I have read many people write that they intend to use Bratislava as a base to explore Vienna from but I think I would do it the other way round.

We paid €79 for a double room, using the rack rate as we could not find a discounted rate anywhere.

Our room, number 5, was small, the beds were lacklustre in terms of being comfortable, were simply two singles pushed together and the two single quilts were very thin.

There was very little room either side of the bed, my bedside light did not work and there was a radio alarm making a buzzing noise so I had to unplug it. The TV was a small portable but in any case only had 4 channels. Nothing to suit the "international" guest. There is no safe in the room. The bathroom was of a decent size and clean.

Our room was at the front of the B&B and close to the tram lines where the trams make a 90-degree turn to go under the castle. The trams make a screeching noise when going round this corner that woke us up from early.

The breakfast was pitiful. 4 or 5 slices of cheese and ham. A couple of bits of bread.

The staff were very helpful and friendly, helping us with getting to the train station, getting me an iron to do my shirt and generally nice people.

The location of the hotel is very good (not including the screeching trams). Walking distance to the old town and to the castle, also the bus to the airport stops beside the hotel.

I just don't think it is worth €79. I would recommend any tourist to stay in Vienna, get the train down to Bratislava in the morning and then get the train back in the evening. You will get a decent 4* hotel in Vienna for €79

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — The Room, The Noise, The Breakfast
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Brithdir
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2007

Bright and (very!) warm hotel (think their heating system was set for much colder weather than we had). Staff were welcoming and very helpful allowing us to use their PC to checvk in online for our return flight - very clean, good breakfast and ideally located for the edge of town and the great Christmas market. Will return in the summer months to use this hotel as a base for another long weekend and a trip to Vienna.

• Liked — Price, location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Lack of hairdryer - though provided on request!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

When we checked into the Chez David I was pretty sick and was looking for somewhere comfortable where I could spend a few days in bed. We arrived early in the morning and the friendly man at reception made us a cup of tea/coffee while we waited for the cleaner to finish our room. We were able to check-in before midday so I could rest. The same staff member was very attentive to our needs throughout stay and made sure we were comfortable.

The room itself was bright, clean and comfortable with very new bathroom, extra comfy bed and cable tv - great for relaxing. The hotel is situated near the old town and we had a window overlooking the street but it was still very quiet. The hotel is a much more pleasant and homely than some other bigger hotels for the same price.

(Yep, I should have written this review some time ago).

• Liked — It was comfortable and the staff were very personable and helpful
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled as a couple
Sudbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2007

I was delighted by the Chez David. Their email correspondence was polite and fast and the price was cheap. Expected something of an ex-communist prison cell for the price I paid, but on arrival found a pleasant enough building just a stone's throw from the old city walls.

The reception staff were helpful. We were able to drop our bags in even though we were quite early checking in. They arranged for a taxi to pick us up in the morning to go to the airport (sadly we only stayed in Bratislava one night).

The room was basic but clean. It had a minibar and cable TV which is more than I expected for a budget place. The bathroom looked fairly modern. The best thing were the giant pillows on the beds which were the best pillows of the week on our trip round Europe!

Even though we had to leave early they had our breakfast ready at 6.30am. The taxi was there on time.

Can't fault Chez David at all, don't expect the hotel to be like the Ritz but it is certainly much better than your average 2*.

• Liked — Good value and central, friendly and helpful staff.
  • Disliked — Very basic feel to it, but you get what you pay for.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. What a great deal. I emailed them in advance to reserve a quiet room on the top floor at end of the corridor. When i checked in this was exactly what I was given, room no.8. Service from the young man and the middle aged lady at the reception was very good - polite, friendly and informative. My room was a twin room, but I was only charged a single room rate of 65 Euros a night. It was clean and tidy with a new and stylish ensuite bathroom. One drawback is the fridge in the room (full of beer!) whirred away my first night, but I just unplugged it. Others must also have done this as there was no major defrost and water flood into the room!
Breakfast was quite good - basic meats, cereals and some fruit. But better still a waiter appeared and asked if i wanted scrambled eggs/omelette he could have that prepared as well, no extra cost. I did! It was tasty. The location of the hotel is great, a stone's throw from the old town and castle. One night I went to a nightclub called Trafo until 0340hrs so wanted to sleep in. The maid didn't wake me until midday - I think that she had been told by the night duty guy not to disturb me!
The night before i checked out I asked them for a wake up call and to book a taxi for the airport. They said "But what about your breakfast?" I said I was leaving early - no time for that. They said I had paid for breakfast included in the room price so they would make me a bag of goodies for breakfast and put in the reception fridge for me to take away the following morning. They didn't have to do that, most hotels wouldn't even offer this - i was impressed. When i left, the wake up call, taxi and food were all done for me as arranged. Taxi to the airport cost 450 Sk - no rip offs doing it this way through the hotel. I disagree with an earlier reviewer who says this hotel has an eastern Europe feel - it was bright, modern and friendly in my opinion and I am someone who generally hates hotels and has travelled all over eastern Europe. Top marks for this one though.
Mike, London.

• Liked — All
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2007

I'm stayed about 8 times at the Pension Chez David in Bratislava, most recently in May 2004.

I really, really enjoy this place -- great location, VERY clean rooms, helpful and friendly staff, great breakfast, and secure parking at no extra charge. All in all, an exceptional value!

• Stayed May 2004, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

The location is the best. Walking distance to the historic center. There is a restaurant inside that serves the included breakfast and also lunch and dinner if wanted. The rooms are small but adequate and have TVs. The decor is very basic and very Eastern European. The staff went out of their way to help us. We were arriving at the Vienna Airport and did not know how we were going to get to Bratislava, by bus or train. We wanted a driver for the next day but did not have one yet. The hotel contacted a driver and had him pick us up in Vienna and take us to the hotel and then came with us for a full day of touring. It was wonderful. He even dropped us off at the airport for our flight out. I would definetely recommend the hotel to anyone that would give up delux accomodations to stay in the center of things.

• Liked — Location near historic center of town
  • Disliked — The decor was very basic.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Chez David? Share your experiences!