“Roomy but remote” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 92 Hotels in Bratislava
Sarajevo
“Roomy but remote”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

we booked it online because of the price and the fact that they have a sauna and pool. at check in we arrived right after a big bus with russian tourists but the girls ta the reception dealt with them quickly and we got check in within minutes. were glad to hear that using the pool is for free, just sauna is for a fee. the room was big, actually the largest triple we had during our trip throught 3 cities, big bathroom that looked renovated, small Tv but ok channels. the water in the pool is a bit cold so I used it just once with mu daughter who had a sore throat in the morning but my husband went several times as he is into saunas:) the beds were big but we have not slept well both nights as the beds creaked at our every move! when we decided to visit the Old town we were srprised when the GPS informed us that ti is some 10KM away! i wonder how long it takes to get there by public transportation (we saw the tram stop nearby), bad roads btw. good breakfast, we also had lunch at their restaurant one day and the soup, trout and steaks were very good! reasonably priced too, lovely staff. at check in you get a card for the room which is also used to unlock the elevator, pool door, restaurant doors, very convenient. parking is 8euro a day. worth mentioning: we had to pay the full price of accomodation, city tax and parking at check in, fyi. would give ti 4 stars but it is just too far!:)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

So where to start, I never normally review hotels however me and friend visited last weekend and had such an experience we decided that we simply must share our experience. We arrived noticing that we were miles from town but thought we had a bargain as the hotel looked quite plush on the website though we were wrong. I will take you through each section of the hotel in turn:

Location: Maybe closer to Prague than Bratislava ....... its not but its a 20 min (15-20 euro) cab ride into Bratislava and close to the airport. The local area is sparse and we had a terrible view.

Relax centre: After the realisation we were miles from town we decided a good swim and sauna were in order upon arrival. We saw the sauna needed an hour notice to be used so called reception at 11am to book and was told the sauna man was on lunch till sometime after 3pm ....... 'maybe tomorrow' we were told. So we decided to swim, my mate went down to the pool, I followed 5 minutes later, I got a locker key from the guy there and opened the locker to see my mates stuff inside, including his wallet and room key!!!! Had this been someone else we could of had our room robbed. So I went into the cold pool, it had no smell of chlorine and looks like it was built in the 50's. There were bars on the windows which were prison like. Not the beautiful pool as I had hoped, after 10 mins I was out! We attempted the pool on the 2nd day as a hangover cure to find a childrens swimming lesson going on. Awkward................

Hotel: It looks like a concrete car park.

The room: 4 stars, and the hotel guest book spoke of the mini bar, tea and coffee making facilities etc etc. You know normal stuff you get in a hotel room. The mini bar was empty and the fridge was off, there was a sign saying 'help yourself to a drink on us' and just two glasses, so I guess the free drink was tap water from the bathroom as there was no tea and coffee or kettle. I asked the maids who were doing their rounds for an ashtray though was told they had none and I would have to go outside (smoking room). My mate jumped on his bed to hurt his back as the mattress was so thin he just hit the wood underneath. It was the most sparse hotel room I have ever seen, kinda a 1970's decor, towels that were worn and frayed, the only newish thing was an LCD tv with slovak tv. I cant complain as it was clean.

Service: As already stated the service at the pool and sauna was awesome ........no sauna and a pool attendant out who gives out used locker keys ...... The maids were unhelpful when we asked for ashtray or tea. On the first morning we missed maid service at 9am, left the hotel at 11.30am and left the 'make up room' sign on the room, returned in the early hours to find the room unmade ...... i guess they must have gone to lunch too.

We did not eat there and only stayed two nights, we kind of deliberately did not eat there. I simply had to make a comment as both having travelled significantly we were both sure this was the worst hotel we had ever been too. We did not expect the advertised 4 star glam but this was a 1 star sham. Book somewhere in Bratislava the money spent on cabs each day we could have booked a 5 star in town!!! This is concrete prison like building. However we now have a new phrase when we want to say something is rubbish its now 'Baronka' :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kiev, Ukraine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed in this hotel one night on my way to Vienna by bus.
The hotel is fine but far from the center.
The room was rather small and looked like the room in the dormitory without balcony but clean and had amazing view from the window.
The breakfast is served from 7 AM and there was a great variety of food. I liked yougurt and steamed vegetables and boiled eggs. They also served fresh watermelon and pineapple that was quaite surprising and unexpected. The only unpleasant moment was that they have only one coffee machine and people were standing in the long queue waiting for their chance to drink coffee.
I took one cup and didn't want to stay in the queue once more for one more cup.
Unfortunatley we didn't have a chance to use pool because we had excursion from 7 till 9 PM and returned late at night.
And I also expected that hotel management will congratulate me somehow because I had my birthday on that day but they probably do not pay attention to such trifles, I was disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hotel is good. Beds were fine, rooms clean. The hotel has strict rules about noise after 22.00 hours. The first night there was a party going on with loud noise untill 4 am. The other night students were partying, also on the hallways and in their rooms which was disturbing. The hotel has camera's everywhere but no one took action to stop the nuisance.
The hotel is very remote form the city centre; 20 minutes by car. The tram is 10 min walk away that will take you to the city centre.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Bistrita, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I was staying here for a seminar in June 2011.
The Hotel Baronka is located about 15-20 minutes from the center of Bratislava. The hotel offers all amenities - restaurant, gift shop, Internet access, spa. The hotel area is not bad, there are several small restaurants, cofee places and supermarkets. The staff was almost nice and speaks english.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Harstad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

I was staying here for a youth seminar with about 50 people in March 2010, and I can't say I have any big complains. We used a seminar room with chairs and everything, and when we needed, we got to use a bigger room. The hotel staff was supplying us with fruits and drinks.

The rooms are just as good as I expected. The beds in my room was stuck to the wall, and the pillow took 1/8 size of the bed. However, I slept quite good. Room service came every day. Bathroom was also okay, but a little bit small.

I miss more power outputs in the room, and I miss a seperate safe bow from the frigde. We only got one key to the safe box, two would be better.

The service of the hotel was great. The staff did everything I asked for, and smiled to me.

Baronka is placed a bit outside the city, and you need to take the tram to get in. This was quite okay. No car sounds or other traffic noise nearby, and there wasn't to many staying there, making it comfy for us seminar people. In the area, you could find a bakery and two food stores. No problems shopping there, and prices are low. A walk in the neighbourhood is also recommended, it's quite nice there.

The food served was quite good sometimes, but also sometimes I didn't like it so much. Breakfast was the greatest meal of the day, with a great variation of food, both hot and cold. Juice, milk, coffie, tea and hot chocolate was also served to the breakfast.

The hotel also have a card key system. You just had to held your card up to the the door, and then it opend. The hotel staff also made me a copy when I needed one.

As I didn't pay for the stay, I can't say anything about prices.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business