“Fairy tale setting in woods just down from Altitude” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 15 Dessert in Bratislava
Cuisines: International, European, Czech
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Fairy tale setting in woods just down from Altitude”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Visited for Saturday lunch place was very busy, great setting in woods, good for walkers, or just getting out of the city. Really friendly family oriented atmosphere. Great beer choice and menu good local specialties, sheep's cheese bacon and sausage great, soups also chunks and good. Goulash fab not a bad point well recommended and the alpine chalet exterior and wooden inside clean and smart
!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
  • Slovak first
Geneva, Switzerland
“Great local food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by a local to us and we were amazed. Not only the beautiful setting next to the forest in a wooden house, but they also have tasty food, great Slovak wine (we had a red one).

Make sure you order some strapacky (a traditional dish made of dumplings) and the kapustnica (cabbage soup).

I will definitely go back... :)

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Prague, Czech Republic
“Good for Halusky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Nice modern restaurant with quite friendly (for Slovakian standards) staff. I recomend Halusky (traditional slovakian meal - little dumplings in cheese sauce with bacon) which they make very very good.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Almost Very Good...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Have eaten here, several times, with the most recent time, yesterday, May 8th.

This restaurant's atmosphere is rustic (very inviting looking on the inside, as well), chalet genre. Appears to be made of rock and timber, with a fantastic, wrap-around deck, for outdoor dining/imbibing. There is ample, easy parking in the parking lot, out front.

For a late afternoon dinner, I ordered a pasta dish while my wife ordered, grilled chicken leg (described in the menu as having crispy skin) w/roasted vegetables. For salad, we each ordered the cucumber choice. We shared a bowl of tomato soup, which was good. My meal, tagliatelle w/chanterelle mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, topped with grated/shaved cheese, was delicious, my wife's meal wasn't. The chicken skin was not crispy, the meat was tough, sinewy, and not very tasty. The roasted vegetables were very good, however. The salads, cucumber, were very good.

For dessert, my wife ordered the, Schoppa Palacinky (crepe). She was nice enough to share it with me, and it was delicious! I had an after meal espresso, straight up, which was above average in taste.

Our servers were friendly, and attentive.

Schoppa is good enough for us to return to, as we have been the last couple of years, when visiting Bratislava. I can recommend going there, but we won't be ordering the chicken leg next time.

On a side note, they really should update their website, www.schoppa.sk with an english/anglicky translation. And it's probably safe to remove the Easter dinner menu now, too.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bratislava, Slovakia
“The service makes all good in the end”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I personally like this part of the city - Koliba, a spot for family trips where mountains meet the city. That is why I go here often to walk and relax. Schoppa is a restaurant that for me adds the extra benefit to these visits. It has a nice interior of stone and wood. Operating fireplace. Decent food even for prices adequate to city center but above all, for Bratislava really attentive and pleasant waiters and other staff. This experience is rate, as I may say after living in Bratislava for 18 years, so for me it is always a nice surprise to see waiters who know how to communicate with the guests, how to offer the food and make people feel comfortable. For me, this is the biggeste benefit of Schoppa and I like coming back there.

• Visited December 2011