“Served a purpose!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 91 Hotels in Bratislava
Redditch, England, United Kingdom
“Served a purpose!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Myself and 8 friends stayed at the hotel as part of a stag weekend. The best man booked the stag do through a stag agency who arranged the accommodation for us so we didn't find out we were staying here until a day or so before we were due to arrive. The hotel exterior is very drab, a pale concrete structure. The hotel interior was also drab, rooms were basic but they were in the main clean and tidy. A big plus point was free Wi-Fi which was available throughout the hotel. I was baffled by the fact that the shower area was not fitted with a shower curtain which resulted in a flood every time someone took a shower, there was 3 of us sharing a room so by the time all 3 of us had shower water had streamed under the bathroom door and onto the carpet into the main living area. The bracket that held the shower head to the wall was also very loose so with the head in the holder it was prone to spinning around and spraying water all over the bathroom which also didn't help the flood situation. It's obviously been happening for many years as the bottom of the bathroom door was starting to rot. This was the case in the two other rooms our group were in.

As it was a stag weekend booking I wasn't expecting breakfast to be included so when I found out it was I was pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately I missed breakfast the first morning after a heavy night out but made sure I was up for the 2nd morning. Some of our group had made it to breakfast on the first morning and weren't very impressed but I wasn't took concerned as I'm not a particular fussy eater. Despite this I can confirm that the breakfast offerings are woeful, I came down to breakfast with my two room mates to find one piece of eggy bread, 2 choices of cold meat, a few slices of cheese, bread and 2 basic cereals. It seemed as though once the food was gone it wasn't topped back up, we couldn't find the butter and other breakfast condiments, the whole breakfast arrangement was very badly organised.

On the plus side for the hotel, is the lake right out side which gives a more natural appeal than that of the surrounding concrete jungle. The Billa over the road, is a large supermarket which sells everything you would want and the prices were very cheap.

In terms of the staff, we only really came into contact with the main lady on reception was very nice and helpful, called no end of taxis for us and even looked after our passports so we didn't lose them whilst out on the town.

The location is ok, not the most attractive of areas as touched on above and its quite a way out of the centre, about 10 minutes in a cab. The lady on reception said they had a flat 6 euro rate agreed with the taxi firm but all the drivers we had were insistent on charging us 10 euros.

On the whole it done the job for us, I wasn't expecting The Ritz but it was very basic and drab. Its ok for a short stay if your looking to keep costs down and spend most of your time out of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
Penarth, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I usually stay at the Junior Hotel when I am in Bratislava as it is close to the bus line from the Airport to the Train station / Centre (Bus 61). It is a ca. 8 minute walk to the hotel from the bus stop and a 8 minute walk to the tram stop into the immediate city centre (tram 9). The accommodation is very basic, but adequate for a couple of days if you want to discover the city and you are out most of the day. The hotel was build in the typical old style - somehow I like the old charm :-) Breakfast is also good with fresh bread, cheese and meat, cooked sausages, cereals, fresh vegetables and tea / coffee. Staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel has a bar - but I haven't used it yet as well as a restaurant - however, I would always recommend going into the historic centre of Bratislava for a typical meal at very reasonable prices.
I will stay here again when I am back in Bratislava.

Room Tip: It took me a while to figure out public transport: To / from the airport and train station: Bus 61...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
bucharest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

A nice hotel, well positioned. Lake located in the vicinity increases its value. It is necessary to install air conditioning. If you want a good room ask at reception room with lake view. In the neighborhood (across the street) have a large store.

Room Tip: If you want a good room ask at reception room with lake view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

This hotel is in a nice location right next to a lake. It is very close to the new hockey stadium (Orange Arena), and there is a large Billa supermarket right across the street that has everything that you'll need. The staff at the front desk speak English. The rooms are pretty much Communist throwbacks - torn up carpet, concrete walls, a tiny TV that gets 4 channels, one 40-watt lightbulb in a frosted glass wall sconce is the room's only light source, mattresses as hard as boards, and no shower door or curtain, no hair dryer. All of that for 100 Euros, although I clearly paid for the proximity to the hockey stadium (I was there for the World Championship games). Never mind. Breakfast was decent and the people were nice. Be warned - it's a 25-minute walk to the train station or to old town from here - you're better off going in a taxi if you have a big suitcase.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Junior Bratislava? Share your experiences!