“Cheap but rude staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pension Caribics

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bratislava
Pension Caribics
You added Pension Caribics to your Saves list
Zizkova 1a, Bratislava, Slovakia (Staré Mesto)   |
Ranked #82 of 92 Hotels in Bratislava
surrey, england
“Cheap but rude staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

If you want a cheap and basic room then this is the place to stay. But be prepared for some rude and unhelpful staff; possible inconsistencies in room description; not fantastic location.
I experienced a very nice and helpful member of staff when checking in. He spoke English to me and got me into my room slightly earlier than normal checkin. However whilst i was waiting i heard some grumbles from other members of staff around me (i think one was the owner). Seemed they'd cottoned on i was english and made a couple of stupid comments in slovak i think. I ignored them and went to my room. the single room was small but okay - single squeeky bed (take earplugs), shower, toilet, cupboard for hanging clothes, easy chair and small table. it was warm and my room face towards the back of the castle mound so was quiet. But i noticed i had no TV and the description of the rooms said ALL rooms had satellite TV. So i asked another waiter downstairs about the Tv (as reception is not manned fulltime) and he was totally dismissive and gave no explanation and walked away. He was actually quite aggressive and made me feel like a peice of dirt not worth bothering about. I decided not to pursue the TV argument as it was futile and stay without one whilst here. It really is unpleasant to be treated in this unhelpful manner and for this reason alone i would not recommend it and would suggest paying a little extra and staying more central. plus the walk is around 15 minutes from the old town and whilst you can take the longer route along the danube the most direct route is dodging the traffic along the fast duel carriageway just outside. Be prepared to pay 20 euros and more for 1 person for a meal in their restaurant.

• Liked — it was warm
  • Disliked — rude arrogant unhelpful staff member
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Families
Solo
Business
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

We've travelled to over 35 countries, stayed in hundreds of hotels and this is possibly - no, definitely - the worst we've ever stayed in. In fact, it's the only hotel I've ever got a full refund, no questions asked. We were so angry at our treatment by the hotel staff, we wrote to Lonely Planet, who I think have now removed this hotel from their latest Eastern Europe guide. If it's still there, please don't make the same mistake we did!

We arrived into Bratislava by train from Prague. The location of the hotel is pretty awful for a start - it's right on a busy dual carriageway and didn't have double glazing when we stayed. We arrived to be told our room wasn't ready - it was 2pm so we asked when it might be ready as we were tired. With no apology, the surly owner simply shrugged his shoulders and walked away. After a bit of mysterious whispering from behind the reception, we were told we could go up to our room about 15 minutes later. When we got into the room, we sat on the bed for a minute until I realised that my bum was actually getting wet - the duvet cover and sheets were actually sodden wet. I went out into the corridor and asked the lady why the sheets were wet, to which she replied "No time, they dry on bed". Not easily annoyed, I went in search of the owner. He came up to the room, shrugged his shoulders again and said he'd find another room. In the end, he moved us into a bigger (dirtier) room round the corner, where the window wouldn't shut and we were basically awake most of the night listening to HGVs ploughing past.

The breakfast was from 7-10am, we were told when we checked in. When we went downstairs after little sleep at 9.30, a new surly waiter told us 'breakfast finish'. I said 'no, it hasn't, it's on until 10am, pointing at the sign that said as much. With a massive sigh for our benefit, he tramped off to the kitchen and came back with two half glasses of orange squash and two stale rolls with jam which he virtually dropped onto the table. At that point, I lost it, walked out of the room, went back upstairs, packed, came back downstairs, demanded to see the owner, called him a disgrace and got a full refund.

Please avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — Service, rooms, location, staff attitude, food.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple