“Fresh air, good food, history coming alive at every corner” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hungarian Open Air Museum (Szabadteri Neprajzi Muzeum)

Hungarian Open Air Museum (Szabadteri Neprajzi Muzeum)
Sztaravodai ut., Szentendre 2001, Hungary
26-502-500
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 19 things to do in Szentendre
More attraction details
Owner description: A historic village with many original buildings and objects representing Hungarian architecture and culture from the end of the 18th century to the middle of the 20th century.
Kosice, Slovakia
5 attraction reviews
“Fresh air, good food, history coming alive at every corner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stunning recreation of the rural life in Hungary about 100 years ago.
We went there during an event, when there is a lot of activities (candle-making, gingerbread cookie baking etc..) going on for kiddos. Good food is served at the restaurant. ;)

Visited July 2012

• Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
“I am appreciate this place so much”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I visited this place with my love. I can see a lot of tradition and the historical of Hungarian people. This place can me me know how Hungarian people living in the last long time ago. Nice natural, quiet.I feel comfortable to walk or you can use the train to see around. I love the green of tree and the old style house. I love this place so much. Something you can't miss it is the bakery only one shop there you have to taste. It is so delicious. :)

Visited May 2012
Littleton, CO
35 attraction reviews
“Huge and interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

As Americans who have seen a few outdoor museums, we were first impressed by how huge Skanzen is. They've recreated eight periods in Hungarian history, in some cases by moving, piece by piece, buildings from their original sites. The opportunity to see thatched roofs and living quarters from Hungarian villages was really informative. It's also an easy place for an English speaking tourist, since everything is very well labeled in English.

Visited July 2012
Hagerstown, Maryland
266 attraction reviews
“Wonderful day trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I love open air museums, and this is a good one. It is large and rambling, though, so make sure you wear good walking shoes. It has lots of "villages" from different parts of Hungary. We ran into several people who spoke at least some English, and were able to explain the buildings to us. There was also an English guide they gave us when we got there. The ticket people spoke English. My daughter got bored about halfway through, but I loved it.

The tricky part was getting there! We had the Budapest transportation pass, though we did have to buy tickets to get us from the edge of Budapest to Szentendre. That wasn't too hard. Nor was it too hard to buy the bus tickets once at the Szentendre train station. The lady didn't speak English, but I showed her the guide book (which had the Hungarian name in it) What was tricky was finding the right stop. I showed the driver the tickets and guide book, and he indicated that it was indeed the correct bus, but he spoke no English, so I got nothing more than that. I didn't see stop names anywhere. I was hoping that the bus driver would tell me when to get off, since we got a seat right by him. After quite a drive, I saw a sign for the museum (but with no indication of where it actually was), and we had a stop soon after. The driver didn't say anything, but I went up and "asked." He said it was our stop, so we got off. The museum had a different name out front, but we went in anyway. I'm glad it was the right place!

Visited October 2011
Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
3 attraction reviews
“Don't miss the train!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Wonderfull and fable place for a whole day or more.Perfect for coulpes and families, too!

Visited August 2011