“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Fantastic!

We found this restaurant by chance (well, Google actually) - and revisited it twice on the same week - while on holiday in Budapest.

It does not seem much when you enter the place, but then you realize you don't need a fancy view and marble floors to get a fantastic meal. It's cozy and well hidden on a small street in Szentendre. Yet the moment you enter, it starts to 'smell' good already.

Just pick anything from the menu - like the "gourmet course" which will delight you over and over.
Or a gulas soup served in bread - it will knock you off your feet!
Or a desert and a glass of red wine to conclude your meal.

The service is excellent, too. Everything you could expect, and more!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Aranysarkany restaurant saving the day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

After having a rather disappointing trip to skanzen outside of Szentendre, we returned to this little quaint town, Szentrendre, and started searching for a place to eat. We happen to pass Aranysarkany restaurant and, seeing the trip advisor sign on their window, decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed. From the minute we entered the place, we knew we did not make a mistake. The host was great. As a starter I ordered 'Fried cheese with a difference'. It certainly was different. I don't think I will have the privilege of having this again. The rest of our meal was most certainly up worth every HUF. I would certainly recommend this place.Attila, the host was excellent.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Not to Miss!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I had an opportunity to have a meal at this place last weekend. All i can say is that this could be by far the best meals i had in Hungary. The place is very cozy, homely and very comfortable. the restaurant is a "right size" not too big and not very small.
Food's, presentation and the way it tastes and smells was very authentic, also really loved the idea of the open kitchen,The staff was very friendly and was ready to accommodate to extra request that you may have "in my case it was extra sun-dried tomatoes. Oh yes - the Pancake with nuts and custard is a must try!!!

Kailua, Hawaii
“what Hungary is all about”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We visited in march so it was off season which wsa fortunate for us. Our Hungarian hosts took us to this place to eat after we visited the Castle just north of here (of course i am bad with names but it is the king's castle and the only one). We were the only guests for a late lunch. What a treat. The chef came out and explained every item we had a questino about. Everyone was super friendly. They did speak english and the menu was in english.

The food was great and the setting was just perfect and quaint. It is off the main tourist street but it is a million miles away from a touristy restaurant. I expect it is packed during the warmer seasons so call or email ahead for reservations.

here is there website www.aranysarkany.hu

here is their email address restaurant@aranysarkany.hu

phone number +36 26 301 479

i had the goulash soup in the bread bowl and it was tasty and filling and also setled my stomach which was a bit off given my massive eating and drinking tour of Hungary. The chef warned me it might be a bit spciy but given my fondness for spicy food i did not find it spicy at all but it was flavorful.

my friend had the Smoked Goose Liver Paté with Rose Petal Jam
which he devoured and smiled.

my other friend had the creamy spinach and she said it brought back memories from her childhood in Hungary.

sorry i did not pay much attention to the other food that was eaten, i was simly enjoying the experience.

As close to being a guest in a Hungarian household as you will get without being invited to a Hungarian's home. A fine example of the kindness and warmth shown to tourists be seemlingly everyone in Hungary.

Budapest, Hungary
“Yes, yes! It's a must!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

It IS actually a must when you are in Szentendre. This historical little restaurant gives you the perfect cosy and special ambiance with which you can be enchanted by.

Traditional meals with special names, makes you feel like you are in some kind of a fairy tale. The restaurant is a little hall, where there are a few little tables, and cosy things all around the walls. We took the "Dragon" Soup, which it a must again, it was very delicious, after that I've taken some meat with garnish, and it was also good.

Waiters are OK, although a little bit slow - maybe the kitchen is too tiny?

The restaurant's building is very nice little thing too, you got the feeling, you just have to check it out from the inside. Well, don't hesitate, especially if you're from abroad, because you will love those kind of foods and interior design! As a hungarian, it was a very pleasant visit, and I will go back, although it's enough to visit it once in a half year, as far as I am concerned. Otherwise it's charm could fade away, and I don't know if they can always make something new with the menu.

• Visited July 2012