“An attraction you should not miss” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 16 Attractions in Miskolc
Type: Caverns/ Caves, Hot Springs/ Geysers, Wellness & Spas
Helsinki, Finland
28 attraction reviews
“An attraction you should not miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was a nice experience. Swimming in quite warm water in illuminated caves is really something you can’t find in many places. The establishment is modern and nice in all respects and also clean. One thing good to know is that you should have your own towels with you as you can’t rent them there but you can buy if necessary (in awful colors). We learned also that it is quite difficult to find the bath if you are coming there in own car like we did. There was no signs (at least what we saw) in English telling you how to come there. We had to ask for our way. But that is possible too.

Visited April 2013

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
St. Catharines, Canada
60 attraction reviews
“A wonderful cultural experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My family spent a late Saturday afternoon in early March at the Miskolc-Tapolca thermal baths, just outside the city of Miskolc in northeastern Hungary. This was a fantastic experience! Visiting the baths of Hungary is a very unique cultural activity, and this particular bath outside of Miskolc is like no other I've ever visited. I’ve been to other thermal baths in Hungary, but this unique complex is located in connected underground cave passages. The thermal baths in this area have been known since the 16th century, but the underground caves were opened in 1959.

The water temperature in the main pool area stays at a balmy 30 C or 86 F year round. Not as hot as other baths in Budapest, and a bit cooler than expected, but very tolerable in early March. In addition to the main pools, there are smaller hot pools and cold pools, pools with minerals, and pools with other medicinal qualities. For an extra fee, you can spend time in saunas of different temperatures. Massages and mud treatmets are also available, as are pedicures and manicures. Food and cocktails are also available in the spa.

My family group included two people who speak Hungarian, and this was very beneficial, as there didn’t seem to be anyone on staff who spoke English. Make sure you keep your wrist band with you at all times, as you’ll need it to get in and out of the spa. I left my wrist band in my locker after I got dressed to leave, and a staff member came running after me, yelling and waving my wristband. I’m not sure what she was saying, but she was definitely not happy with me!

When you enter the bath area, the change area is co-ed, and there are lockers available for your clothes. If it’s not too busy, you can get into a private change booth, but be sure to lock both doors! If you don’t, someone is bound to come in while you’re changing! And, it’s a best to bring along your own towel and flip-flops, too. After changing into your swim suit, please take a shower, as it’s expected. Go down the stairway to the pools, and get ready for a great experience!

One area of the main bath has a strong current that is turned on every few minutes, and the current floats you though one of the caves. Another pool is under a star-studded night sky, with a central circular seating area. This pool seems to be a favorite for smooching couples. In another area, there are pressurized spouts that massage your muscles as you stand underneath the spouts. We had great fun going from one pool to another to another to another. In the warmer weather, an outdoor pool is open for guests.

When the baths closed on a Saturday evening, our wait for a change booth was very long. The wait is complicated, as there are line-ups outside each door of the change booths. Two doors for each change booth equals two wait lines for each booth! Your best bet is to just wait in a line outside a door, and hope for the best. Or, put your modesty aside, and change in the locker area. Or, leave the pools fifteen minutes before closing time in order to avoid the rush.

Spending time at the Miskolc-Tapolca thermal baths was a highlight of our trip to Hungary. Floating through an underground cavern in steamy-hot water was a great way to relax and get energized for our next Hungarian adventure! I'm very glad we visited in March, as I'm sure the cave baths are very busy in the summer months.

Visited March 2013
Surrey, UK
3 attraction reviews
“An ideal April get-away in North-East Hungary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We are a family of 5, with children aged 7-16. We visited in early April, when it is low season there. It was a good choice, as the weather was unusually unkind, raining every day, but it didn't matter in the caves. I have heard of them before but have never been, and it exceeded all my expectations. The caves are rather extensive, reaching into the belly of the hill, pleasantly lit. The water is warm but not hot, and as it continuously runs through the cave and out into a canal, I don't think it receives any water treatment. It does not smell, like some other natural springs, and there is no evidence of chlorine, it is beautiful. We were only able to use the indoor/cave area as the outdoor pools were not open, and we spent a good couple of hours there. In the summer I expect it is much busier. a word of advice-my little boy lost his wristwatch-style key within minutes of entering, and this comes with a hefty fine. However the staff were very helpful, and it was found, so do ask them, if you lose it. I thought it was on safely, I checked it, but it must have come undone in the whirl pool area. The spa is set in lovely hills, just outside there is "go ape" , a boating lake which did not operate this time, but the bob is available all year round. There are other places to visit, including Lillafured, little railway and the world heritage site of Aggtelek with its own breathtaking caves is 1 hr away, so there is much to explore in this far corner of Hungary. The world's biggest book (Guinnes, 2010) is to be found near at Josvafo in an intriguing little museum of printing, run by an enthusiastic formal printer. We stayed at a small, family run hotel, called "Kolibri" for 3 nights, and spent the days exploring. We had dinner at "Kemence" Restaurant in Miskolctapolca, as recommended by the hotelier. Very good food, but extremely large portions (a mixed grill plate for 2 fed 5 of us), and not for the delicate stomach. Hungarian food is heavy, and being hungarian living abroad for the last 19 years I would recommend going for game or a local fish dish, eg. "harcsa", or just goulash soup, and ignoring the rest of the menu, if you want to avoid indigestion. A three course meal is just too much. Miskolc is also worth venturing into, there are some beautiful old buildings.

Visited April 2013
Hungary
19 attraction reviews
“Fantastic!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

These cave baths/spa's in the town of Miskolc are a must! Built in the hill, the inside of the baths is spectacular because the walls are actually the cave walls! Various different water themes in different pools. Lovely place to spend a day out. Not much to do outside the baths though.

Visited June 2012
Debrecen, Hungary
3 attraction reviews
“Unique experience for the family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was born in Miskolc, so it was more than 20 years ago when I first visited this fabulous place. Then it was much smaller and less developed but very friendly and familiar. As a child it was a great experience to swim in a cave, surrounded by dripstones, waterfalls. Nowadays it has developed a lot, it's bigger and cleaner and there are amusement facilities.
The entrance fee is very resonably. It doesn't matter if it's winter or summer, the experience is guaranteed.

Visited February 2013