“Primitive At Best” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Keszthely
Clarksville, Tennessee
“Primitive At Best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I will probably come off as a spoiled American but if you are like me, continue to read. Do NOT believe any of the photos provided by this hotel. I felt like we had gone back to the Iron Curtain era. The unit was painted white with gray-green furnishings. The furniture and appliances were old. Toilet paper was the only amenity provided. Luckily I had packed soap. I will say the unit was clean and the dining room staff was very nice. The front desk staff was perfunctory and not helpful. The hotel has a restaurant and if you order carefully the food is good. Do not try dishes like pizza unless you like frozen food. The food is quite inexpensive and you can get full on $5.00. If spending the day traveling to historical sites and only using the room to sleep is what you want, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Florence, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We had a great apartment within a short walk to the really lovely lake where you can walk and boat ride. It was very nice albeit different but the ants on the floor were just horrible. Nothing could be put down. UGH! This is a great area to traveling to Heviz and all around the Northern towns on Lake Balaton. We really had a good time despite our first impressions and the ants. Everyone was really friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Redlands, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were assigned to a huge unit - maybe because it was low season but well appreciated. We had 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, huge livingroom with private patio. The kitchen was in the livingroom. Beds were small - maybe full size beds? We travels quite often so we know not to expect too much from European exchanges. The place is simply decorated - things are outdated and old - TV is not flat screen and very small. Bring your own staff - nothing is provided except towels. I always bring seasonings in small plastic bags, dish detergent, scuff pad and dish towels along with all the personal items.
We had a rental car and GPS to guide us through one way streets which worked great!
We found Hungarian people not really friendly - but Mr. Gabor at front desk was very nice and helpful. He was one of few who spoke English there.
There is restaurant around and it is very reasonable. Our unit faced street and you can hear everything ....if you are staying here at the peak season, you may have problem.
Over all, it is good base for exploring Lake Balaton area. There is visitor information at downtown, the hotel can give you the voucher for discount pass (mostly 10% off). They charge you few $ for the card but it will be refunded if you bring it back .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
mk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

A really well located hotel/apartment only 10 mins from the town centre and 10 minutes from the lake.
We were in a block of apartments across the road, 2 minutes walk from the main hotel. (There are about 7 different buildings located in different places. I think most are near the hotel but a couple may be further out. We were on Z block on the 3rd floor. It was a 4/2 apartment. The bedroom is open plan on a 2nd level within the apartment. As we were on the 3rd floor which was a bit of a pain with no lift in the heat.
Talking of heat, no air con was my main gripe. Due to the heat we had to leave all the windows open but it was a little noisy at night with cars at the junction below, barking dogs and people talking noisily on their way home. Also, church bells at 6 am!!!!
The room itself was quite nice. The decor, lots of dark green painted wood everywhere made it a little dark and cold but otherwise spacious and clean. The kitchen was basic lacking a kettle and a toaster. The bed/settee in the lounge was a bit grubby. We didn’t use it to sleep on as we there were only two of us.
No wifi except in the reception of the hotel and this mysteriously stopped working after our 3rd day and staff didn’t really explain why.
Swimming pool is in the block behind the hotel and was small, cold but a pleasant area for relaxing. Parking is possible around the area but you need to be aware which parts are allowed and which are not. We always found a free space near to our block.
So overall not bad with a few negatives but for the price (its cheap!) I think it was good value and certainly an excellent location.
The hotel has a restaurant but we didn’t use it as there are lots of other options nearby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New Delhi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Took timeshare at Kezthely which by btw is a beutiful town off Lake Balaton. The only upside to this property is the location, 5-7 min walk from the lake. The facility is basic, in need of refurbishment. The grey paint in the room is dull and depressing and the beddings shoddy and porr quality. This was my second experience with RCI, but the facilityt is 20 years outdated, The pool was dirty and water freezing...

Upside: visit to Heviz spa, Tapolca undertown water caves, and walk by Lake Balaton.

Adv: stay in town but at a better property

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Club Abbazia is underrated. Considering it costs virtually no RCI points to stay as long as you like in the low season, I expected much worse. My room (1 bed 4/4) was massive, dead quiet and well heated (so much so that I needed to keep a window open). I found the staff very friendly though only one really spoke English. There is a supermarket down the road and everything, including the lake, train station and Heviz bus, is walking distance. I didn't have a car and probably couldn't have found use for one. The place is also really safe. Arriving after 9pm and walking through an isolated park to the Hotel with everything I own on my back was delightful. I also had to make 7 phone calls while I was there, often ending up on hold for over an hour, and the total charge was less than 1000Ft ($4).

Basically I loved it. The only downsides are: the main bed is 2 singles pushed together, which I find pretty uncomfortable. Also, outside of the hotel in low season (I was there in January), virtually no-one in the town speaks any English.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Northamptonshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Keszthely is situated on the western shore of Lake Balaton, the largest lake in Central Europe and is basically an inland seaside resort - if that makes sense. The lakeside has had the (dubious) benefit of some artificiual beaches being constructed on it's shores. Most people stick to sitting on the grass on the strand (the designated sunbathing area. The strand also contains numerous bars and cafes Entrance to the strand is 990 forints for an individual for the day. The rate of exchange when I was there was 300 to the pound. This area is beautiful and absolutely ideal for families.

Away from the strand there is a nice cafe culture in the town and a reasonable range of shops. Unfortunately (from the point of a chap who enjoys his kip) there are also many nightclubs that don't close until 5am. I certainly rapidly became fed up at being awoken at 4.45 in the morning by revellers returning home.

First impressions of the hotel were not favourable. It was suffocatingly hot and the reception staff were totally uninterested and slow to the point of being stagnant. When I eventually got to the front of the queue I was initially told that I was being given a room in an annex about half a mile from the hotel - and half a mile further from the lake, a brief and very firm word regarding my unhappiness at this suggestion resulted in me being offered a room in the hotel proper. Please note that I was told that the hotel has a number of annexes scattered through the town so if you book this hotel be aware that they may try to place you some distance from the main attraction - the lakeside. When you register you are given an inventory of the room's contents and told in no uncertain terms that you need to check it yourself as any items that are missing will be charged at the end of your stay. I checked and there were numerous items missing - it would have been a costly error if I hadn't complied with their instructions.

The room was large with high ceilings and consisted of a small kitchen, sitting area, bedroom and bathroom.
The kitchen was reasonably equipped, with pots, pans, glasses etc and had a microwave cooker but strangely no kettle. The sitting area had a garish and very uncomfortable bedsttee, a dining table and chairs, a coffee table and a couple more chairs and a very old portable TV. The bedroom had two single beds with worn out mattresses pushed together to make a double. The pillows were thin to the point of emaciation and even piling them one on the other wouldn't allow for a comfortable kip. The bathroom consisted of a handbasin which wouldn't retain water, a toilet and a shower cubicle, the floor of whch was badly stained. There was a power shower fitted but when it was switched on and off it would fall off the wall. The towels were old and thin, almost transparent if held up to the light. There were a number of built in cupboards and wardrobes giving ample storage space.. There was no air conditioning and no fans provided. The kitchen sink was subject to trapped wind and would gurgle and bang loudly at random moments day and night.

There was a dining room and an outside area for alfrsco dining. I ate there twice, the second time because I was too tired to go out, I should have known better. The food was stodgy and uninspired. The waiters slow and unfriendly.

Overall the resort falls between two stalls being unsure if it wants to be a family destination or a rival to the clubbing scene one finds in the Med. I certainly wouldn't recommend this hotel but the jury is out on the resort itself.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Abbazia Club Hotel? Share your experiences!