“Very nice for a spa experience” 4 of 5 stars

Hunguest Hotel Helios
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vorosmarty u. 91, Heviz 8380, Hungary   |
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Heviz
Stockholm, Sweden
“Very nice for a spa experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have stayed here every year for 6 yrs and even though the staff isn't always cooperative and sometimes quite badly behaved, the food is excellent and the wellness area with jet stream available once an hour, water "cannons" for your shoulders/back and a 360 degree massageshower in the pool is excellent. There is a jacuzzi, steam sauna, swedish sauna, kneipp stream and infrared sauna. The thermal pool, with a lovely 36-38 degree water, is sooo relaxing and nice. Be careful though, as some people can not because of medical conditions use it. Outdoors there is a nice big park with a swimming pool. The hotel offers free water gymnastics and there is a fashion show once a week in the lobby, operette evening, folklore and crafts stalls etc. free of charge. I recommend it strongly.

Room Tip: Rooms just above the jet stream pool, might be occasionally disturbed by happy laughter once an hour...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We found this Hotel via an internet search and although some reviews were poor decided it couldn't be that bad. The price was very reasonable.
We were given a room overlooking a roof but it was quiet if shabby. It is an old decaying building but they had tried to make the best of it.
First impressions were of a strong smell of urine in the toilet, similarly in the toilets near the pool. I wiped a thick wad of toilet paper round the inner rim of the toilet and was disgusted to see it brown, covered in stale urine and old faeces. The strong smell disappeared after I cleaned it properly. The beds were dreadful, mattresses no more than two inches deep and as the air conditioning wasn'tgood I removed the cover and used that as a sheet instead. It wasn't until the last day when I went to put that cover back I found a big bloodstain on the duvet, something totally unacceptable.
The public areas were reasonably clean and the gardens surrounding the outdoor pool were excellent.
The restaurant catered mainly for a German clientele so it was mostly cold meats and cheeses but there was plenty of choice of both hot and cold food.
I was disappointed in their gluten free menu, cold meats and cheese to which you added salad or veg. The pudding options were tasteless and the croissant at breakfast an unpleasant texture. I asked for GF bread and a pleasant waitress brought me some dark brown bread, sadly it proved inedible , my husband who eats normally described it as foul tasting.
After that first meal we ate out in Hevis where there were numerous nicer places.
The Sunday we were leaving we were awoken by banging on the door before 8 am.
We ignored it thinking someone had the wrong room and no key.
8.15 am it happened again so I got up and discovered the housekeeping lady demanding she come in and count the fridge contents. My husband was naked so I politely refused, having to push her out of the room and shut the door!
8 30 am she was back and by then we were up, having abandoned all hope of a holiday lie in.
As we checked out I asked the man on the desk if it was normal to be disturbed so early, and he insisted yes it was, implying we should accept their rules.
We did also eat in the bar (fine), used the wellness pool (looked a bit dirty and stains all over the roof above it).
I am reluctant to ever post a poor review as I know it affects their reputation, but the overall impression of this hotel is they have no comprehension of customer service.
I have never seen such filth or terrible bed linen in over 40 years of travelling, so my advice to you is quite honestly, avoid the place or like us, you will be left feeling grubby.....I took photos of the dirt and stains but wouldn't subject you to them, I am happy to email them to anyone who wishes to see them.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The building is from the old socialist era. Interior was renovated about 10 years ago. Would not call it modern, but it's okay.

The service is even more socialist than the building. You can overhear waiters dissing guests who don't speak Hungarian. Ridiculous.

The spa area is small and dirty. The termal water area is full of blight - unbelievably disgusting!

Holistic massage was godd though!

Choose a different hotel if you want to relax in good fashion.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The hotel had everything needed for a complete and excellent 3 day stay. Room a bit small but air conditioned. No frills but everything necessary for memorable spa experience all on the pretty.
I would definitely go there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

1st night of the trip we stayed here before we went to Zagreb. Excellent receptionist and restaurant staff who are friendly and helpful. Our room at the end of 5th floor is a bit out-dated. The bathroom light kept blinking right before we went to sleep. And because we were too tired with jet-lag, we just ignored it and let it be. But the rooms have balconies and it's nice to look out at the snowy scenery in the morning.

The dinner and breakfast there were great and delish as we would have some terrible experiences later on during the trip.

Only disappointment to me is that we were too tired and didnt have enough time the next day to try their wellness pool, which is recommended here by other TAs.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We spent 2 days at Helios, and we had a great time. The hotel building is a bit old, but it reminded us for places we used to spend vacations with our parents. The hotel was fairly busy, but still managed to provided very good service. At check-in the receptionist accommodated all our requests regarding room locations. The wellness facilities are really great. The thermal pool is very large so we did not feel crowded at all. At one time I have counted 40 people in it, but since it was so large you would not feel the crowd. The other pools (outside) and jacuzzis are also fairly large so we were able to feel very comfortable. As for the rooms, I guess they were about 30m2 with a normal sice balcony with a great view to Heviz.The restaurant is huge, so we did not feel the crowd here as well. The waiters and waitresses are very professional providing good quality service. The food was great for breakfast and dinner as well. Large selection of meals, soups, and desserts as well. My favourite was that the buffet had tons of grapefruits and oranges.
Overall, if you are looking for a few days rest in a medium priced hotel this is a great choice for a thermal treatment. I would definately recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: We were staying on the 5th floor facing Heviz. It was very quiet, and had a really good view since t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Larkspur, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We loved this old fashioned place! You drive past Lake Balaton, then Lake Heviz. You turn on a side street in Heviz and come to a sad looking property. Don't be sad! Though the rooms are nothing much, you will spend no time in them! My balcony did however look over the interior exterior delights including the thermal fun pool we like to call it! Put on your swimsuit, then complimentary robe, take your towel and thongs and go to the spa! We steamed and cold plunged repeatedly, then joined the fun in the fun pool when the jets came on and propelled us madly in a roundabout! Adults and children careened around the pool; do much fun! Then more jets and waterfalls everywhere. This repeated every 20-30 minutes. We were hooked! Everyone spoke Hungarian; the age range was vast, young to old. The Hungarians sure like to schpritz!
The food is ordinary, but it's included and I met the hands down nicest young waiter, Valentin, whose English was wonderful. He made our evening. The lobby is lovely with a big flat screen that showed the Olympics nonstop while we were there. In the evening after dinner, there was a live performance of Hungarian folk music, then a one man band in the lounge where couples were dancing. So stinking cute, all of it. Not pretentious at all. I had a wonderful pedicure. Lots of spa services to pick. Wish hot pool was hotter, that's all. It was a wonderful stopover between Budapest and Zagreb. Since I was traveling with my 13 yo son, I liked how we could be together at the spa.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Hunguest Hotel Helios? Share your experiences!