“I Love This Place ~” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Heviz
Vancouver, Canada
“I Love This Place ~”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was my fifth trip to Danubius Aqua, Heviz. I debated whether or not to go this year, thinking it would be more responsible to pay off my car and save money. At the last minute, though, I decided to book the trip because I was absolutely exhausted to the point of having no motivation. My first day full day there, after a complete round of treatments (medical massage, mud pack, hanging traction, physiotherapy, lots of time the variety of saunas, and a good soak in the thermal pool) I knew I had made the right decision. My three weeks at the Aqua has fully restored my zest for life -- as always, it was exactly the tonic that I needed.

For five years straight, I can honestly say that I have no complaints -- the service is consistently excellent in every department -- guest relations, dining room, bar, front desk, scheduling, cleaning, cosmetics, therapeutic spa treatments, athletics. The people who work here are kind, polite, engaging, helpful, knowledgeable, and have a generosity of spirit that remains in my heart days and months after I leave.

About the food in the dining room: I have always enjoyed it, and the variety of food on offer that rotates day by day, week by week. This year, the food was even better than usual, and I was thrilled to find some new dishes in the buffet -- especially a dish with potato, egg, sausage, sour cream (I think it might be called 'Rakott Krumpli'). Oh My God -- was that ever excellent !!!

About the spa area -- something new this year: the indoor mineral pool has been divided into two mineral pools, set at different temperatures. I love this change for two reasons -- (1) it gave me options from day to day, depending on my own body temperature. Some days I preferred the hotter pool, other days, I preferred the cooler pool. Some days, I enjoyed going back and forth between the two. (2) visually it is nicer this way, and somehow is cozier and more comfortable to sit in the smaller pools (even though each pool is a good size).

Another aspect of the spa area that I love since it was upgraded a couple of years ago is the 'sauna world'. With three dry saunas of different temperatures, a steam sauna, and a cold plunge pool, I enjoyed the daily (sometimes twice or thrice daily) ritual of spending time in each of them, and then relaxing in the quiet area in a lounger.

I also must mention the daily water exercises at 11 am. At twenty minutes every day, they really pack a punch and build strength. The instructor gives instructions in several languages -- Hungarian, Russian, German, English. He has a sense of humour, and keeps the participants in good humour while they are jumping around in the water with water weights.

I could go on ... but the main point is: If it was affordable, I would move into this spa hotel permanently.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
DHSRHeviz, E-commerce Manager at Danubius Health Spa Resort Aqua, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear "Canada152"

It is really hard to write any more after such a review of yours. I heartily thank you for your kind contribution, and looking forward to have you with us pretty soon again.

And you're right, the dish is called rakott krumpli (roughly can be translated like "layered potato") is one of the all-time favourites of mine too.

Hope you will see us soon enough!

E-commerce manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Szigetszentmiklos, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

However this hotel is 30 years old I only felt this on the style of the bathroom and more or less on the room. The garden is fantastic and the wellness part is really full of different services and has a modern style. You can use infrasauna, thermal bath, pool for children, massage rooms... etc. All of these are really nice, new and it was a great time to be there. All member of the staff were really friendly and helpful. They knew the answer to all stupid questions :).
I just can recommend to stay here!

Room Tip: Higher floors, less noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear "sutike"

Thank you very much for your review. I took the liberty to forward your kind words toward the staff. We are always pleased to help you whatever questions might arise through your stay. And I sincerely hope that we can prove it once more during your following stay.

Ormond Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

While it is true that the decor is dated and 1970's "Muzak" is piped into the dining room, I must say that my recent stay was a pleasant one. My room was rather large (by European standards) as was the bathroom. The room was exceptionally clean as was the rest of the hotel. The medicinal/thermal water pools were fabulous. Having suffered with spinal stenosis and arthritis, I have heard stories regarding the healing qualities of the water at Heviz. After spending only 4 days there, I came back to Budapest feeling well rested and in less pain. My only complaint is about the food. It was so good, too good. I came back to Budapest weighing more than when I left. Do not expect to diet while at this resort. Every day, a large variety of tasty food is served. Desserts were irresistible . I hope to return next year and stay for a longer period of time.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the street. I would ask for a room that faces the pool and lake.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear "jtrn"

Thank you very much for your feedback and your kind words. I am pretty sorry to inform you that we are not planning any reduction in our food offer, neither in variety, nor in deliciousness. So it is advised to be prepared for the same treatment during your next stay. Joke aside, we heartily hope to see you again pretty soon.

Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Very nice hotel with perfect view from the room.
You feel like home, meal is delicious; friendly, nice staff and they are ready to help you all the time.
Wide range of different services like massage, pedicure, manicure, different kind of saunas, thermal water..etc.

Room Tip: 5-7th floor room with park-view is recommended.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
DHSRHeviz, E-commerce Manager at Danubius Health Spa Resort Aqua, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your score, we are glad that you had a great time at us. We sincerely hope to see you again pretty soon.

wroclaw
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Everything was good, apart of the fact the when I made reservation I was awared that children below 15 had to pay 30 euro per day, I could not imagine that 4 month baby also, considering that when I made reservation I asked about cost and I got not such information, in my opinion, reservation department intentionally hide this info, if I knew before that for a BABY I have to pay the same as for a 15 yr old boy (30 eur per day), I would probably consider other option for my Holydays.

Not to mention a Mouse running at the buffets floor.

Thank you very much for taking 220 euro for a baby stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
DHSRHeviz, E-commerce Manager at Danubius Health Spa Resort Aqua, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comment. I am really sorry for the misunderstanding and that you had to depart from us with such experiences.

In the days passed we conducted a thorough research regarding the circumstances of your order to uncover any issue that might have been routed in our procedure.

As your reservation was made through a 3rd party site, we take great lengths to ensure that all the payment conditions are indicated correctly. The price you quoted was indeed valid for the given booking, as the special offer was created for basically 2 people in one room, with an option of bringing children with you.
We sincerely apologize that we did not stress the extra child price with an adequate emphasis.

Thank you for notifying us about the rodent appearance too. With scheduled and regular anti-rodent measures we do our best to ensure that the number of these occasions remain next to none.
As no other report about such issue reached us before or since, from the thousands of occasions we served our guests, it is always beneficial to get information about that unique happening, no matter its rarity, or the number of sources. We will put that into consideration when planning the next maintenance cycle.

Should you have any further questions or requests, I will gladly be at your disposal on the heviz[dot]e[minus]commerce[at]danubiushotels[dot]com address.

Sincerely:
Yodca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

An odd pearl among spa hotels in Western Hungary!! After my previous good experiences during last year visits I returned again with my family to the AQUA. I have to say frankly that I did not disappoint now either! Mr. Horvath and his team is on the top of their job at the front desk, they are always nice and friendly, there is only one word: professionals. I have to highlight all waiters and bartenders in the restaurant, their kindness and relationship with the guests are exemplary by comparison with other 4* hotels. The management of the restaurant – Mr. Sebok and colleagues – do an excellent job. Day by day we got always tasty and hearty meal.
Honestly, everybody can easily recognize that 30 years have been gone over the hotel but its stuff’s marvelous job made us forget all this. The fully renewed inner thermal pools and the other pools outside with their various fun elements rise the AQUA to a real valued hotel.
It is no longer a question that we gonna return next year again and I recommend the AQUA in circle of my friends.

Room Tip: eastern windows go to the pools and garden ... skip this hotel if you wanna loose some weight :)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
DHSRHeviz, E-commerce Manager at Danubius Health Spa Resort Aqua, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words, which was a pleasure to put through to my colleagues as well.
I am especially glad that the new thermal bath gianed your approval.

We are looking forward to have you with us pretty soon!

Kindest regards:
Paks, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

The room (standard) is definitely small for two and a half (8 months) person.There was not enough air even for sleeping. We have spent 2 nights here. The bathroom with those chocolate coloured tiles are from medieval probability. The pools for children is about 30-32 Celsius "cold" so I think you would never leave your baby more than 5 minutes to stay.
There is a lots of opportunity to grow your belly because the restaurant is quite good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I hope you had a great time at us.
Indeed, the darker shades are dominating at some parts of our hotel's decoration, however, next time you visit us with kids, I sincerely advice you to take advantage of our family apartment. Bright, funny and full of colours, this one was shaped with the needs of families in mind.
The indoor children's pool is one of our hottest pool (save for the thermal ones, which are not advised for kids), which temperature is strictly regulated, ,but I will put forward your remarks to the spa management for further examination.

I hope you will grace us with another visit soon.

E-commerce manager

Been to Danubius Health Spa Resort Aqua? Share your experiences!