“Time capsule hotel that is stuck in the 1980s.” 3 of 5 stars

Danubius Health Spa Resort Aqua
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kossuth Lajos u.13-15, Heviz 8380, Hungary   |
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Heviz
Reading, UK
“Time capsule hotel that is stuck in the 1980s.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hotel is stuck in a time-warp. If it was comfortable enough it would not matter, but it's not comfortable. The beds were lumpy and the bedding was the wrong size.

The bathroom fittings were too tired to be of great use. The shower only just worked. I checked with a friend who was in another room and their shower had the same problems.

The food was poor versus other hotels in Heviz and lacked the variety and quality I have come to expect from hotels in this area.

Stay here if you want a kitsch room and make the most of the amazing treatments.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
DHSRHeviz, E-commerce Manager at Danubius Health Spa Resort Aqua, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review; every feedback carries great importance to us. The hotel itself was indeed built in the early 80's, and though our possibilities for outer renovations are limited, we do everything to make the interior and the rooms all the most comfortable and enjoyable to our guests during their stay.
The mattresses are completely changed since last summer, and the bed-frame replacement is being carried out now in 90% of the rooms. Our housekeeping and front desk team, along with the guest relation managers are always at your disposal to carry out and room requests, such as providing you with other rooms, should the bed or the bathroom in the original would prove to be unsatisfactory.
The same solution can be applied to the food: as the first all inclusive resort in Heviz our kitchen staff is more than ready to meet any request on the behalf of our guests.
I sincerely hope that we can see you again soon, and show you improvement in all those situations that arisen during your stay.
I am looking forward to have you with us soon.
E-commerce manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bucharest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have been visiting this hotel for 7 years now and we always felt good and wanted to return. But not this time. We booked our rooms in June and we paid an advance payment as usual. We arrived at the hotel on August 20th and we checked in. Everything was ok. The guy at the reception did not mention any new thing. While going to our rooms we saw a notice in the elevator informing the guests that the thermal pool was under reorganization so.... it was closed! We checked with the front desk and we were told that, indeed, they had started the works 3 days before and the indoor pool was closed. However, we were invited to use the outdoor pool which was filled this time with thermal water. Unfortunately, we stayed there for 5 days and only one was sunny. The temperature outside was 22-23C and cloudy or rainy. So, using the outdoor pool was out of the question for my mother because she would have become ill for sure. We were also told that we could have used the facilities of the other Danubius hotel, and we did so in our last day, when it was raining cats and dogs and there was nothing to do in our hotel. And we were welcomed there, and the facilities were good but to go from one hotel to the other, in the rain, after spending time in the thermal water and sauna is not a brilliant idea. When we left it was raining and there was nothing to do in the hotel. All facilities, except sauna, were outdoor, and for old people and for people looking for getting healthier there the situation was not too good!
The rooms need some renovation. Our room had a leaking toilet and there was a persistent bad smell in the bathroom because of this. We informed the front desk about it but nothing was done. The chairs also had to be changed.
The cleaning is perfect and the personnel in the restaurant is very good, ready to help and make you feel at home there. The food was good, the chef is very good and the food is tasty. But the choices were more limited than in the previous years or so we felt, but it might be just an impression.

Anyhow, we left Danubius Aqua disappointed this year. For regular guests as we were, we would have expected to be informed in good time about the changes, to be given the chance to take an informed decision. A discount could have been given. But everything was just like before, except for their offer. We could not take advantage of the water, we did not feel comfortable in the room because of the smell and all these shortcomings could not be offset, unfortunately, by the food or by the nice personnel.

We are sorry to say that for some years we will not visit Danubius Aqua anymore!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your honouring review. My sadness was beyond words upon reading your lines, and sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you experienced in our resort.
The error was on our side for failing to inform you about the works in our thermal area. Not to diminish the happened events, but I must mention that what we thought to be only a minor tile detachment (which could have been fixed soon), resulted in a much larger work. The good in the bad is, that once we finish with the reorganization, a new, modern and elegant thermal area will await our guests.
I was also sad to learn the conditions in your room. Our front desk team is always ready to provide you with another room, if there are empty ones in the given time. Also, our guest relation managers are at your disposal to handle with any issues around.
Again, I would like to express my deepest sorrow for all, you shared with us, and sincerely hope that despite that, you will give our resort another chance, and honour us with your visit again. If I can be at your disposal, do not hesitate to contact me either through phone, or by email on heviz[dot]e-commerce[at]danubiushotels[dot]com
With kindest regards:
E-commerce Manager
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This place has become a annual 'wellness' habit for me ...

My daily routine went something like this:

Wake Up ... Eat ... Mud Pack ... Massage ... Infra Sauna ... Plunge Pool ... Finish Sauna ... Plunge Pool ... Steam ... Plunge Pool ... Rest ... Eat ... Physiotherapy ... Hanging Underwater Traction ... Rest ... Walk to Thermal Lake ... Swim ... Rest ... Walk ... Eat ... Infra Sauna ... Plunge Pool ... Finish Sauna ... Plunge Pool ... Steam ... Plunge Pool ... Rest ... Eat ... Sleep ... Wake Up To Singing Birds at 4 AM ...

Repeat, repeat, repeat ...

Wonderful staff, fabulous service ... once again.

Thing is, now that I'm home, I'm going through treatment withdrawal. I need a massage. János? Are you there???

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
DHSRHeviz, E-commerce Manager at Danubius Health Spa Resort Aqua, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear "Canada152"

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are glad to be you "same time next year" resort, and that you honour us with your stay.
Wish you all the best and see you soon!

Veszprém, Veszprem, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We spent the easter holidays there. Even it was a small accident with the water lines and there was full house, the staff did their best.
The quality of "fruit" juices is very poor, they are just sweat wishy-washy.
The furnitures& televisons are looks like 1000 years old.
I exprcted more from a 4 star hotel in Heviz, which is in the one of the reachest cities in Hungary.
However the anmation prg for kids was really great! The spa is also ok, there are many saunas and outside pool as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
DHSRHeviz, E-commerce Manager at Danubius Health Spa Resort Aqua, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your honouring reply. Every feedback is very important to us to improve our services.

TV equipments are indeed some years behind the latest technology, but we constantly upgrade the technical devices in both of our resort. This spring we increased the bandwidth of the WiFi services in the hotel ten times over, and made the wireless LAN service all available in our entire resort, rather than just i the lobby, as before.
In our sister resort, the DHSR Heviz we also upgrade the televisions right now, with high-end, Full HD LCD flat-screens. We are bound to make such upgrades in the DHSR Aqua also in the near future.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the quality of the juices. Your feedback had been forwarded to the responsible department for further processing.

The water-pipe burst was really a sad, vis major accident, out of our reach and we are grateful that you appreciated our staff's effort.

We hope to see you again soon in our resort.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Recently returned from my second visit to Heviz at the Danubius Health Spa Resort Aqua. In the past there was no wifi and because I was with a friend it didn't matter much. We had a great time. So when I chose to return this time alone for a week I was happy to find that wifi was available in the rooms also.

My room was clean and pleasant as before, the service was exceptional. Housekeepers and desk responded immediately to my request for a larger robe and extra pillows. Had breakfast delivered to me one morning and that too was a pleasant experience. The outdoor pool in the off season is a charming. Up to your ears in warm water as the steam rises :)

The restaurant is excellent. The variety and quality of the food choices served is most appreciated. There was even organic beet juice on the juice bar, fish 2 days of the week I was there. Waiters are helpful and live music makes evening meals more special.

I'm planning to make a return again in the fall.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
DHSRHeviz, E-commerce Manager at Danubius Health Spa Resort Aqua, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Just want to thank you your kind lines; we were happy to read about your experiences.
Since some time passed of your last visit, I find it worth to note, that our spa area with it's thermal bath has been completely rebuilt.
I hope that during your next stay you'll have the opportunity to try out.

Yodca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Absolute excellence in guest service emphasizing its restaurant and staffs, rarely found any similar with this 4 stars. From the moment of arrival to our farewell departure, we were made to feel like home, in that cozy retro style countryside resort. I must say this is the best spa experience I’ve encountered to-date! Found the staff very nice and helpfull and really enjoyed Hévíz itself. The apartment was very clean, pretty and comfortable. The water could be warmer outdoor. My recommendation to everyone!

Room Tip: Rooms to the east with awesome view!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
DHSRHeviz, E-commerce Manager at Danubius Health Spa Resort Aqua, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Jack B

Thank you for your honouring review. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time at us.

Just a small tech thing about our indoor / outdoor pool: the pool's temperature is pre-set to a certain level, that is being supervised by the mixture of hot and normal water, and being monitored throughout the day.
As temperature falls, more hot water is mixed into the system, but it takes some time to release its effect in the entire pool.

We heartily hope to see you again soon.

Kindest regards:

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

May 2012 was my third trip to the Danubius Aqua in three years. This third trip was just as enjoyable as the previous two. No complaints -- only fond memories that linger with me now that I am home, on the other side of the world.

As mentioned in my previous review (scroll down), I come here to unwind, rejuvenate, and recover from the stresses of the previous year. For me, this place does not disappoint.

Once again, I signed up for the 21-day, 45-treatment medical spa package, which, for me, included a schedule of massages, mud packs, physiotherapy, and weighted underwater traction. I participated in aqua-exercises every morning at 11am. All meals and snacks were included--a big relief from grocery shopping and cooking every day during the working year. Also, and importantly, I spent 2 hours per day in thermal Lake Heviz -- absorbing the minerals in a beautiful natural setting.

I also established daily routines of soaking in the thermal hotel pool, and enjoying the brand new sauna facilities -- a major addition to the Aqua Hotel. Twice a day (before lunch and dinner) I did the rounds of the various saunas -- Bio-Sauna, Finnish Sauna, Infra Sauna, and Steam Room, moving between each of these, with transition time in the new ice cold plunge pool. I cannot emphasize enough what a fabulous addition these new facilities are, in terms of my overall experience.

Once again, and it must be mentioned, the staff at the Aqua are outstanding: professional, friendly, warm, fun, and engaging -- always going above and beyond to make me feel welcome.

I highly recommend the Aqua. There is heart and soul here ~

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Danubius Health Spa Resort Aqua? Share your experiences!