“Worth going for the Lake... but skip hotel if you can” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Spa Heviz
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dr. Schulhof Vimos str 1, Heviz 8380, Hungary   |
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Heviz
Hull
“Worth going for the Lake... but skip hotel if you can”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I went to this hotel as I am working in Budapest and fancied a break fromt the city. The hotel is fine. It's clean and comfortable. But it is geared for the older guest or those that need personal asisstance. It had an institutional feel to it with meals at set times (you have to book half board) and very little imagination in the fayre available. I felt like I had landed in a pay as you go residential care home

On the plus side, you are only a five minute walk from Lake Heviz which is a wonderful natural phenomena and at the hotel they are very well equipped for treatments with beautician and masseurs and very good treatment rooms. I had a facial and a massage during my stay and both of them were very good.

If you do stay, check out the chapel on the second floor - it has the most amazing work of art in the form of wall sculpture on it. Even if you are not religious you will still marvel at its beauty. A real gem, hidden away.

If I did return to the area I would look for somewhere in the Heviz town, which is a tourist spot which is modern and has a nice (if resorty) feel to it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Hungarian first
Budapest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel is literally in front of Heviz Spa entrance. It has an own parking lot which is 100m away..The rooms are spacious but very basic. Room price includes half board and a one day ticket to the Spa.
The only and the biggest problem is the smell in the whole building. The must be something wrong with the ventillation in the kitchen...seriously I felt like I was sleeping right in the middle of there :(

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Perth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I travelled here from Scotland for a long weekend.

First of all: getting there. It was recommended that I get the shuttle bus direct from the airport to the hotel, but at 160 euro I thought it was expensive, given I was paying 195 euro for 3 nights half-board accommodation! I opted for the train. Travelling there I took a train to Budapest, and 2 tubes across town to Deli station. Don't do it. It took me about 2 hours to find my way. A taxi to Deli from the airport will cost you 5000hf (about £15) and takes 1/2 and hour! Buy a first class rail ticket to Keszthely for 4200hf, and sit-back and enjoy the scenery. Yes, it takes 3 and 1/2 hours on the train, but so does the shuttle. I'd rather the money I saved be in my pocket for spa treatments at Heviz!

I arrived at the hotel in the evening to find the receptionist spoke no English. I hadn't a clue what he was trying to tell me about the vouchers he gave to me. The room was nice enough- spacious and clean with 2 single beds and an en-suite shower-room. No tea-making facilities though, which I missed in the mornings and before going to bed! I had asked for a quiet room, and was given one on the 2nd floor to the rear of the hotel. Not a lot of traffic from other guests, but there is a road directly at the back of the hotel. Given that the room was so hot that I slept not just with the window open, but with the door to the terrace, any car passing woke me up. Also, I did hear guests in adjoining rooms, but they tended not to be party-goers, so the noise wasn't too invasive.

The hotel was located right on the lake- very accessible for Spa Heviz as it was just a 2 minute walk. The location was lovely, and the photos really don't do it justice. Went for dinner at 8. None of the waiters spoke English, and the dishes were labelled in Hungarian, so I had little idea what I was eating. Found the sauces to be very salty, and the food was cold. Very disappointed. But the other nights I went earlier to get the food as soon as it was served, and have to say that salty sauces aside, really enjoyed it. Breakfast was cold buffet (meat and cheese) type, with lots of yummy healthy nuts, seeds and dried fruits, and the option for scrambled egg and bratwurst. It was fine for me.

I had a couple of massages at the hotel- both with a male. Found them to be very professional in their approach, and I've received massages around the globe over the past 20 years. Would say that if you're getting a lymphatic massage, a lot of lymph glands are located in the groin, so expect to be massaged in an area some might deem 'inappropriate'. Also had a facial- it was one of the best facials I have EVER received- was disappointed I didn't have the time to book a longer one! Also, the spa facilities at the hotel were good- not quite as nice as at Saunaworld at the Lake Spa perhaps, but on the plus side, they were much quieter.

Lastly, Renata handled my booking for me- she was great, really helpful. As were Zoltan and Donat at the front desk. All of them spoke really good English, which was a relief for me! Just a note though, if you speak some German it will help- most Hungarians I met were also fluent in German.

Room Tip: 2nd floor at the back is apparently the quietest, but be warned- there's a road right behind the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
hursomhelst
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

The hotel is located right at the lake making it the best located hotel in Héviz. Hotel looks actually better in real life than on the webpage, it isn't fancy but it is nice. There are two types of rooms, we stayed in the newer, higher category. The room was very spacious with balcony, nice and clean and designed with those physically impaired in mind. Wish there would have been soap in the soap dispenser though.

Staff was helpful but didn't really speak any English. The waiter in the restaurant did however lack general service knowledge and the food, although not expensive, was rather disappointing. The breakfast was good.

We used the hotel's massage service wish was highly disappointing with a very inappropriate and unprofessional masseuse which was a real surprise as everything else in the hotel kept such a good standard.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

A very good and clean hotel
fine meals.
very good jacuzzi inside the hotel
good bicycles to rent 4.5 km far from Keszthely. Nice ride in th fields
Two minutes walk to lake heviz with free tickets from the hotel.
Free parking.

A bit old fashioned!!! that is why I was thinking whether to rate it very good or excellent, but decided excellent.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Eger, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

This hotel is next to the unique thermal lake, so I had the opportunity to try it, even if I was on a business trip.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Spa Heviz? Share your experiences!