“Hidden gem that you should not miss” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Hidden gem that you should not miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My God, this place has a wonderful cuisine, highly recommended for visitors who want to taste excellent quality, but modern Hungarian food. One of the best steak tartar that I tasted, ever. And the prices are very friendly compared to the excellent quality that you get.

Visited November 2013

• Hungarian first
Helsinki, Finland
“Broblem with the food and service...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

You never know what you will get in this restaurant, sometimes the food is very good and sometimes you might get an over cooked gray stake tasting like rubber. On other times the waiters have been helpful and politite, but sometimes very rude and can ignore you completely. This restaurant is a risk that is not worth taking.

Visited August 2013
Crystal Beach, Florida
“Good food, good service, but check the charges on your bill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

April of this year, yet once more, my wife and I visited Debrecen.
Debrecen, the second largest city in Hungary is only a short 2.2 hour drive from the capitol Budapest.
Just as my last stay, we again stayed at the hotel Divinus.
We have arrived at around 4:00pm, so after checking into the hotel, we started looking at places to have dinner at.
My wife, who is from Debrecen, suggested that we have dinner at the Csokonai restaurant, one of her favorite places to eat
when she lived there. This was my third time eating at the restaurant, so I said, great, lets do it. We had our two kids with us, so I have asked the hotel to make
a reservation for the 4 of us.
I was looking forward to dinner that evening, because the Csokonai does have a very good kitchen and the food is very pleasing to both the taste and the eye.
Prices are reasonable on the menu, so I did think the place was a good choice. We all made our selections from the extensive menu and just as before, the food and service
was excellent.
Then, since it was getting late, I have asked for the bill. I was given a piece of paper that was handwritten, with not much detail to it. The bill came to 16000.00 forints or about $73.00 USD for the four of us
Which at that time looked reasonable with the drinks and dessert. Paid the bill, left and additional 2000.00 forints for the gratuity and left. On the way to the hotel I started thinking about the price I have paid and for some reason it just did not add up after I went through the complete meal in my head. Back at the hotel I sat down in front of my computer and looked up the menu at the Csokonai which of course had all the
prices on it. Sure enough, Everything we had added up to 12000.00 forints. 4000.00 forints less than the bill I was given. I promptly called the manager at the Csokonai and to my surprise I was told that he was sorry for the overcharge and if I have the time, he would give me back the 4000.00 forint overcharge plus the 2000.00 forint gratuity. Next day I went back to the restaurant and I was given 6000.00 forints in cash with the sincere apologies of the management.
Since that experience in April, I have seen other reviews where the overcharging was mentioned. So if you go, you will not be sorry. The food is really excellent, however, do yourself a favor and check your bill before you leave the restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Budapest
“Nice place in the hearth of the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This busy place is in the hearth of the city, opposite to the theater. Pleasant atmosphere, nice service and the penne with zucchini and mushroom was really delicious. Totally worth a visit.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
“Still in the top”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The old and traditional Csokonai is still one of the best restaurant that i wisited in the World. I go there time to time since the early 1980's and the steak tartare or the Csokonai soup it is mantaining the best quality since the beginings.... The staff is professional, and the place it was full a wednesday night... And more, they launched a new menu, adding some international and modern meals, with very interesting novelties, like the "persian cold cucumber soup with yoghurt, dill and almonds", or the "Duck’s liver parboiled in wine, with apple and honey chutney" (i tested them, and are fine) There is lot of more delicacies, i will come back soon...

• Visited September 2013