“Hip place to be in Budapest, but tourists found about it, too.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bar, Coffee Shop
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Budapest, Hungary
“Hip place to be in Budapest, but tourists found about it, too.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife and I loved coming to this place because of it alternative and underground type of character. The crowd was a mix of hip local urbanites mixed with some expatriates. Last time we were there, we saw some people with ties and formal jackets coming for a drink after work. Even worse, we saw some German tourists there. not sure if we would be back.

Visited March 2012

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
“One of my favourites, living here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Even though there's not too much music, it's a great place to hang out with friends and do some people-watching. Even though it gets crowded, it's still a lot of fun. Prices are very reasonable.

Visited October 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

This place is really hip. We went twice on a four night trip to Budapest. It's such a great idea to have ruin bars! The music was great and everyone really friendly. Would defo recommend it! I love Szimpla Kert!!!

San Francisco, California
“Beyond words”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This place is so cool. The idea of ruin bars in general is awesome, but this one was recommended to me by a friend, and in my opinion, it's the best. Each room provides a new experience, with new furniture and decor and things to look at. I will definitely be back during my next trip to Budapest.

Visited August 2012
Wales
“Good beer garden to enjoy in the sun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Having been here both during the day and night, I would recommend you come early in the day and enjoy a glass if beer in the sun. I think we were bitten when sitting in the ornamental car, so chose benches instead. It is interesting to look around, my burger was very good. On the next few streets quite a few of these ruin bars exist and they are cheaper in the main, but I wold recommend that this is one you simply must see. Can be difficult to get the bar staffs attention and service can be slow.